Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 03:27 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,502,883 times

Advertisements

Not only have new reports said that the President's approval rating is lower than 29%, one of the 11 Republicans who met with the President yesterday, Rep Tom Davis of Virginia, told the President his approval rating was only 5% in Davis' district.

According to Rep Ray LaHood of Illinois, who attended the meeting, the President was "surprised" and "sobered" by the lack of support. If he was surprised, he could be the last person in America who is surprised by what the public is saying. It's a sign that he really does have no clue what is going on.

In addition to Davis and LaHood, the meeting included Representatives Mark Kirk, IL, Charlie Dent, PA, John Boehner, OH, Jim Gerlach, PA, JoAnn Emerson, MO, Todd Platts, PA, Jim Ramstad, MN, Fred Upton, MI and Jim Walsh, NY.

Of the few people who still support the President, I think most of them must be on this forum. I think they must be starting to get a cold, lonely shiver.

In other news, Rep Todd Tiahrt of Kansas was on C-Span's Washington Journal this morning. He kept talking about fighting the war against terrorists, which is legitimate. But, he kept referring to fighting it in Iraq, where he seems to have forgotten there were no terrorists before we invaded and attracted them all. It is ironic that Saddam Hussein did a better job of keeping Islamic fundamentalists out of Iraq than we can.

I must admit that the tactic of using Baghdad as a battleground is interesting, if it weren't for the high cost, both in lives and finances, and except for the fact that we are not winning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 03:30 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times
Glad you raised the issue of those 11 Republicans that met with the President, and how they have added their voices to the already loud roar around town.

I also saw a headline, AP perhaps, nothing meaty though, that the President is willing to negotiate on a time table for a withdrawal from Iraq.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:06 PM

97 posts, read 371,735 times
Lightbulb Consequences

Bush's approval ratings are down in mostly Republican districts because he:

1) Will not enforce Immigration laws, allow and wants open borders, and is currently pushing an illegal alien amnesty.

b) Has promissed small government but after 9/11 he increased gov't size, which Reps hate.

c) Has increased spending a lot and has been fiscally as irresponsible as the Democrats have over the years.

It does not have to do with just the war. That is how the leftwing media wants to play it, but that is not how it is.

I agree, let's get out, but is teh US ready to accept the consequences of an early withdraw?

Consequences like Iran, Turkey and Saudi Arabia getting into a regional war over the 3 major population groups in Iraq?

Consequences like we having to go back into Iraq and stopping the regional war?

Consequences like Al-Queida making Iraq thier homebase and then entering the US easily though Mexico and committing another 9/11?

As much as I think the Iraq war has been mismanaged sneding the message on TV that Congress is fighting against the war, the terrorists already know they will win and Iraq will become an Islamic nation and Al-Queida's newest playground.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:06 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Glad you raised the issue of those 11 Republicans that met with the President, and how they have added their voices to the already loud roar around town.

I also saw a headline, AP perhaps, nothing meaty though, that the President is willing to negotiate on a time table for a withdrawal from Iraq.
I'm not at all convinced about this meeting with the GOP Congressmen. When push comes to shove, they are going to cave to Bush just like Sens. McCain, Warner, and Graham did with the Military Commissions Act last September. What is even more disgusting is that the only reason they met with Bush at all is because they are becoming afraid for their jobs. They don't want to end this war because it's the right thing to do- they are afraid that Bush is dragging the party down.

But wrt Bush's approval ratings- abysmal. I have read in more than one article about how 25% of people will approve of any authority figure. So Newsweek's latest poll would give Bush 3% above that. 3%.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:08 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times
I totally agree the meeting was and is all about self-interest, and unfortunately, it may go nowhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
I'm not at all convinced about this meeting with the GOP Congressmen. When push comes to shove, they are going to cave to Bush just like Sens. McCain, Warner, and Graham did with the Military Commissions Act last September. What is even more disgusting is that the only reason they met with Bush at all is because they are becoming afraid for their jobs. They don't want to end this war because it's the right thing to do- they are afraid that Bush is dragging the party down.

But wrt Bush's approval ratings- abysmal. I have read in more than one article about how 25% of people will approve of any authority figure. So Newsweek's latest poll would give Bush 3% above that. 3%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies