Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve of Taxpayer monies being used to pay for an abortion
Yes - I have no problem with my tax dollars paying for an abortion 27 51.92%
No - I do not approve of my tax dollars paying for an abortion 25 48.08%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:59 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Early abortions, absolutely. Later abortions that are not therapeutic just strike me as creepy, and I am very pro choice. Get it done early.

yeah.. I agree.. late term abortions absolutely not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I probably should have used the term "medically necessary" rather than a convenience. Of course having a child is a lifelong commitment and more than just an inconvenience. But I personally take a hard line on abortion. I feel they should be legal but they are used all too frequently as a "Back door" solution to an "up front" and immediate situation. I still contend that it is a medically convenient procedure to mitigate an unfortunate situation and not a necessity in the mother's physical health. From a strictly monitary point of view I would not want one dollar of my tax payer money to go towards ending a life unless it also involved saving a life, as in the mothers. That's just the way I am, morally. If this goes against your beliefs, then we must agree to disagree, respectfully.

Morally, I'm not one that is for abortion. Actually the pro choice people are NOT for abortion as the anti-abortion group likes to put forth.

These woman who do not use birth control, get themselves constantly knocked up, and then abort are dispicable. I can agree to that. However, would you want someone like that to actually GO to term and then raise that child? EEK! What that child will become is just like the mother.

I do believe that there is more than just medical reasons that justify someone making the decision to abort for themselves. As I would never chose to abort ( I couldn't live with myself) I feel that what I believe morally etc is not for me to push onto someone else. That is why I'm pro-choice.

Because by not allowing someone to make the choice to abort for themselves you are forcing the choice of going to term AND forcing the responsbility of that child on the mother.

The question I usually ask anti abortion people is.. you so want to be a part of their life and force a decision of your choosing on someone else? BUT will you be there to help the person with the consequences of the choice you forced upon them by denying them an option available to them? Will you then be there to raise that child? To pay for that child's needs? Etc.

I would suggest that woman that have repeated abortions need to have some sort of medical procedure to stop themselves from getting pregnant, but we can't force that on anyone either.

As for the reform.. This is not as important as getting the reform passed anyway.. and law currently doesn't allow for taxpayer dollars to go to abortion procedures. And it should stay that way, because that is the way it is. Trying to get it changed now at this stage is stupid, especially if it's going to stand in the way of the reform we so badly need.

as for whether I would want my tax dollars to go toward it, it wouldn't bother me either way.

And thank you for the clarification of your post.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Folks - this is NOT A THREAD TO DEBATE the pros and cons of abortion.

This thread was, and is, intended to ask a question you - do you want your tax dollars - your TAX DOLLARS used for abortion. Thats all.

Lets not let this thread degradate as so many do on this issue.

Thanks

Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
I'm not forcing anyone into a decision concerning abortion. As I previously stated, I agree with a woman's right to abortion. I just don't want any of my tax dollars to pay for it. It's not that I'm cheap, I just don't want my dollars going for life ending procedures.. Perhaps private foundations can accept the responsibility and pay for it. Although I agree with a woman's right, I still think it is terminating a life and I am morally repulsed by that. It's a foundation of my belief and I can't change that. If I had my way, abortions would be a lot harder to get than they are today. But I'm a man and there will never be the same afinity towards abortion as if I were a woman. By the same token, being a man means that I shouldn't have the power to dictate what a woman does to her body.

I think that the announcement of the event should be, "You are going to have a baby" not "You are pregnant". somehow in my eyes, you are pregnant just signifies a mild medical condition that is easily rectified if one chooses. Where as "you are going to have a baby" brings the whole matter into better focus and put the issue in context as to what is really going on, bringing a human life into the world.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:32 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The issue of Federal monies being used to pay for an abortion is and has become a contentious point in the health insurance debate.

How do you feel about tax payer monies being used to pay for abortions?
Cheaper than paying for unwanted kids.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:34 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:

This thread was, and is, intended to ask a question you - do you want your tax dollars - your TAX DOLLARS used for abortion. Thats all.

Thanks
YES SIR! But I already posted the opinion above prior to reading this dictate.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:37 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
From the link:

Leadership aides admit they still need to find compromise wording on abortion, but they are confident the issue will be resolved by the time the bill gets to the floor

It appears it is not "pointless" to leadership as you assert.
It is pointless bickering because there is already a law, and this law would not change it. But heck, if they want to add 'stronger language', then they can knock themselves out. I don't care. I agree federal money should not be used to fund abortions, but if there is already a law, then why are they jumping through the loops to add stronger language? Pointless, if you asked me.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is pointless bickering because there is already a law, and this law would not change it. But heck, if they want to add 'stronger language', then they can knock themselves out. I don't care. I agree federal money should not be used to fund abortions, but if there is already a law, then why are they jumping through the loops to add stronger language? Pointless, if you asked me.
Perhaps because of legislation being considered that would allow federal dollars to be used for abortion???

Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
There has been legislation on the issue - I'm not sure the current status of it though - one is (I think) HR 819 and S20 (or 21)
Breaking News: Now they are actually going to adopt the Hyde Amendment into the bill to make sure everyone understands with perfect clarity that federal money will not be used for abortions. Good, one issue less to worry about....

Old 10-29-2009, 03:12 PM

75 posts, read 125,606 times
Quote:

Thanks
considering 40% of this country pays no income tax, I guess 40% of the population shouldn't have a say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies