Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve of Taxpayer monies being used to pay for an abortion
Yes - I have no problem with my tax dollars paying for an abortion 27 51.92%
No - I do not approve of my tax dollars paying for an abortion 25 48.08%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,288,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I just want to know if you have actual proof that woman have abortions merely for convenience without many other factors being present in their decision making to back up your assertion. I'm asking this respectfully...
TM, there has been much information posted on these board showing the "why" woman get abortions. You are good at searching - you might want to look for it yourself. I will assure you - you will be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 01:50 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,018,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
TM, there has been much information posted on these board showing the "why" woman get abortions. You are good at searching - you might want to look for it yourself. I will assure you - you will be surprised.
I understand that there aer woman that DO get abortions for convenience.

However, a story here or there does not show as evidence that it is actually COMMON.

He made the bold statement. I'm simply asking him to back up that assertion with facts and figures.. not just based a few stories here or there.. but by looking at ALL abortions and the reason they happen and occur.

That's all..

Old 10-29-2009, 01:51 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It says absolutely nothing about anyone wanting or trying to overturn or change the existing law. It simply says they want stronger language, to make sure federal money cannot be used for abortions, but it is pointless since there is already an existing law which bans it.

OK, well, that puts it to rest.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:51 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,390,394 times
Awww I tied up the poll

Old 10-29-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It says absolutely nothing about anyone wanting or trying to overturn or change the existing law. It simply says they want stronger language, to make sure federal money cannot be used for abortions, but it is pointless since there is already an existing law which bans it.

OK, well, that puts it to rest.
From the link:

Leadership aides admit they still need to find compromise wording on abortion, but they are confident the issue will be resolved by the time the bill gets to the floor

It appears it is not "pointless" to leadership as you assert.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:53 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,697,867 times
As long as the abortion is legal, I don't exceptions should be made. It's a medical procedure that should be covered in the same way as other medical procedures.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:55 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,907,264 times
Early abortions, absolutely. Later abortions that are not therapeutic just strike me as creepy, and I am very pro choice. Get it done early.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It says absolutely nothing about anyone wanting or trying to overturn or change the existing law.
There has been legislation on the issue - I'm not sure the current status of it though - one is (I think) HR 819 and S20 (or 21)

Old 10-29-2009, 01:56 PM

654 posts, read 466,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
You open your legs ....you open your own wallet!! Don't use my money to murder the babies!!
Completely agree, except the murdering of babies. I'm pro-choice (to a degree), but abortions are completely and easily preventable.

Why should they be paid for when condoms and contraceptives can do the trick? If you can't afford a condom, then you shouldn't be having sex.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:57 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,675,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
As to your last statement, do you have any evidence to back that claim up.

Whether or not to have a child is a HUGE decision. Agreed, people need to be more careful if they do not want a child in preventing pregnancies, I can agree to that., however, once the pregnancy occurs there are many factors that would play into whether a woman goes through with the pregancy.

Are there some that find it "inconvenient" and then choose abortion .. sure.. but do you really want the woman who at the end of the 9 months is going to be responsible for a human being.. if she thinks the and pregnancy itself is an "inconvenience".

I think you are minimizing the decision by making that statement and it's really not quite fair to woman who have been there and have had to make that decision.

I never have had to make that decision , thank goodness, and my decision now would be to have the baby.. what would I have done much younger and in a different situation, I do not know. I do know someone that went through the process of deciding and it was not entered into lightly on either side of the argument (she ultimately decided to have the child). I know how painful making the decision was watching her agonize over the choices ahead.

I just want to know if you have actual proof that woman have abortions merely for convenience without many other factors being present in their decision making to back up your assertion. I'm asking this respectfully...
I probably should have used the term "medically necessary" rather than a convenience. Of course having a child is a lifelong commitment and more than just an inconvenience. But I personally take a hard line on abortion. I feel they should be legal but they are used all too frequently as a "Back door" solution to an "up front" and immediate situation. I still contend that it is a medically convenient procedure to mitigate an unfortunate situation and not a necessity in the mother's physical health. From a strictly monitary point of view I would not want one dollar of my tax payer money to go towards ending a life unless it also involved saving a life, as in the mothers. That's just the way I am, morally. If this goes against your beliefs, then we must agree to disagree, respectfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies