Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have ANYONE from city data on ignore?
I'm a liberal and yes I have people on ignore 6 7.32%
I'm a liberal and I have no one on ignore 30 36.59%
I'm a conservative and yes I have people on ignore 3 3.66%
I'm a conservative and I have no one on ignore. 43 52.44%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:14 AM

353 posts, read 552,023 times

Advertisements

People really use the ignore list? Ignoring someone doesn't make them shut up. What's the point.
When my girlfriend puts me on her "ignore list" I teabag her Pepsi. Can we have a "tea bag" tab added.

Who's more intolerant Liberals or Conservatives? Who's more black, The pot or the kettle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 03:03 AM

654 posts, read 465,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why are they supposed to be anything?
People are just people.
I guess you didn't have enough tolerance and acceptance for yourself to remain liberal. There is no liberal party in the US. There is no "cookie-cutter" description for any two people in the world let alone thousands.
Liberalism connotates a degree of tolerance and one of the reasons that I left the party was that they didn't hold up to these principles. It was a minor reason as I was more pissed off about their wishy-washy anti-war sentiments and standing up for civil liberties. You do remember that Clinton signed DOMA and continued war funding lingers despite anti-war Democrats. Tolerance? They threw Cindy Sheehan under the bus. She was only expedient. "Liberals" never tolerated a lack of timeline for George Bush, but make excuses for Obama's "dithering".

Liberals never tolerated the suspension of habeas corpus, but become silent about it when Barack does. Liberals never tolerated the Patriot Act, but turn a blind eye when Barack does. Liberals never tolerated our gigantic embassy in Iraq, but put no pressure on Barack to downsize it. Liberals are pro-choice, but are not against doctors freely choosing not to perform a cosmetic surgey. Liberals are all for the seperation of church and state, but don't care that the White House lawn is used as a celebration day for Muslims.

I'll complain about the religious right all day, but when I bring valid complaints to liberals, they don't want to hear it. Instead many of them resort to ad homs, red herrings, and strawmens. Ever get called a neo-con, a racist, or living in a cave because you disagree with a liberal while showing nothing but tolerance?

I know that liberalism doesn't connotate a party, but sometimes disagreeing with a "liberal" results in intolerant behavior on their part.

Last edited by I Like Taxes; 10-31-2009 at 03:17 AM..

Old 10-31-2009, 04:01 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,284,375 times
This is a dumb poll. I have no one on ignore but that isn't because I'm more tolerant. I just don't want to miss out on what someone has to say. I have respect for people who put others on ignore. They are mature and realize they would rather ignore their writing so that they don't get angered and respond negatively to their posts. That is a mature way of addressing that than responding to people's posts in a negative manner.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:06 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,284,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
Liberalism connotates a degree of tolerance and one of the reasons that I left the party was that they didn't hold up to these principles. It was a minor reason as I was more pissed off about their wishy-washy anti-war sentiments and standing up for civil liberties. You do remember that Clinton signed DOMA and continued war funding lingers despite anti-war Democrats. Tolerance? They threw Cindy Sheehan under the bus. She was only expedient. "Liberals" never tolerated a lack of timeline for George Bush, but make excuses for Obama's "dithering".

Liberals never tolerated the suspension of habeas corpus, but become silent about it when Barack does. Liberals never tolerated the Patriot Act, but turn a blind eye when Barack does. Liberals never tolerated our gigantic embassy in Iraq, but put no pressure on Barack to downsize it. Liberals are pro-choice, but are not against doctors freely choosing not to perform a cosmetic surgey. Liberals are all for the seperation of church and state, but don't care that the White House lawn is used as a celebration day for Muslims.

I'll complain about the religious right all day, but when I bring valid complaints to liberals, they don't want to hear it. Instead many of them resort to ad homs, red herrings, and strawmens. Ever get called a neo-con, a racist, or living in a cave because you disagree with a liberal while showing nothing but tolerance?

I know that liberalism doesn't connotate a party, but sometimes disagreeing with a "liberal" results in intolerant behavior on their part.
It's politics. These are arguments you can't win. Liberals and Conservatives both play this game. Obama continues the war in Afghanistan and Dick Cheney accuses Obama of dithering. Democrats accused Bush of terrorizing witnesses and abusing their civil liberties yet does Obama nothing to GITMO and you don't hear a word out of Democrats asking why Obama has failed to do nothing regarding GITMO. They just defend him. Democrats attacked Bush on perpetuating the war yet nearly a year later, Obama has not withdrawn troops out of Iraq and is considering sending more troops to Afghanistan.

Politics is a big game. The only way you can protect yourself is not to drink the Kool Aid. Watch all news sources and not just Fox or MSNBC. Form your own opinons and realize that you don't have to agree with everything your party says to be a supporter of it. Don't be a slave to any ideaology. Don't fall prey to the game. Have your own opinions

Old 10-31-2009, 05:03 AM

654 posts, read 465,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Don't be a slave to any ideaology. Don't fall prey to the game. Have your own opinions
I do have my own opinions and don't play the slave to politics, but that doesn't stop me from expressing that liberals can be just as intolerant as the religious right.

How many liberals spoke out against the President's attack on Fox News? I agree with Obama, but I think that a President attacking the press runs counter to the First Amendment.

Many "liberals" never stood up for this principle, but gleefully cheered him on.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:56 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,064,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This is a dumb poll. I have no one on ignore but that isn't because I'm more tolerant. I just don't want to miss out on what someone has to say. I have respect for people who put others on ignore. They are mature and realize they would rather ignore their writing so that they don't get angered and respond negatively to their posts. That is a mature way of addressing that than responding to people's posts in a negative manner.

It's not the ignore list but the fact that people use it as a threat (i.e. "I'm going to put you on my ignore list for that remark.") just like a spoiled child that didn't get it's way that is so hilarious.

Personally I think anyone who can't resist the urge to explode when reading something they don't like should probably not be on any Internet forum and particularly a political forum in the first place.

There are many more CD users who won't go anywhere near the political forum for that very reason. Politics and religion are very touchy subjects and feathers will fly. If someone is too sensitive for a bit of dirty fighting then this simply isn't the place they should be.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:48 PM

722 posts, read 1,108,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Watching some of the posters here who say they are putting others on ignore for the littlest thing, I wanted to do an unscientific poll here.

Where do you stand on the political spectrum and have you used the cd ignore button?

I guess the poll would be skewed because lots of liberals have me on ignore..
I am unable to vote because I am neither a liberal or a conservative. I think there is intolerance on both sides, however I have never had a liberal call me a conservative if I disagreed with them. I have however been called a liberal when disagreeing with conservatives. To me that puts the them as the more intolerant of the two.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:52 PM

722 posts, read 1,108,399 times

There is such a difference between a balanced debate between two view points and just plain arguing with idiots.

Balanced debate: McCain and Obama.

Arguing with idiots: talking with the tea party goers.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:49 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,392,720 times
Anyone ignorant enough to not be able to hold a discussion with another rational ,well spoken, and informed individual needs to be ignored. People that won't hold discussions, or consider the merits of opposing viewpoints, or even research them in depth so as to make independent and informed opinions, tend to be less educated.

Unfortunately, these people exist on both sides of the fence, in spades, and intolerance is always perceived to be on the side of which you are not.

Also, unfortunately, there are not enough rational, well informed and well spoken individuals to have discussions with, which muddies everything up for those who prefer to think and discuss things rationally.

Education seems to be the deciding factor in over all "intolerance". So, whichever side as a higher aggregate level of education is likely more tolerant.

The educated politicians use the emotion of the uneducated masses to control them. They always have, and always will. Therefore, emotion and intolerance will always rule the day, not logic and tolerance.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,632,284 times
They can be equally intolerant.

The only real difference is that 'conservatives' back their intolerance with the bible and a sense of moral superiority while the liberals back their intolerance with an abiding sense of intellectual superiority and arrogance.

They are both ruled by tunnel vision and an inbility to see anothers point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies