Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:58 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Oh give me a break...Yeah, all us white males really have it rough don't we? Why me?

I go to bed every night praying that God will turn me black or Hispanic..

At what point did I say it sucked to be a white man? To the contrary, it's freaking outstanding! I really wouldn't want to be anything else and spend all my time blaming my own failures on someone else.

Don't confuse a statement of fact with self pity. I have a great life. But I do get a bit tired of the same old blame game that seems to focus on the white male. I'm a little tired of some folks who seem to think I should feel guilty about my own success and that I should somehow reward them for their failure. It gets old.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:31 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
At what point did I say it sucked to be a white man? To the contrary, it's freaking outstanding! I really wouldn't want to be anything else and spend all my time blaming my own failures on someone else.

Don't confuse a statement of fact with self pity. I have a great life. But I do get a bit tired of the same old blame game that seems to focus on the white male. I'm a little tired of some folks who seem to think I should feel guilty about my own success and that I should somehow reward them for their failure. It gets old.
Hate crime laws make you feel guilty about your success? Who are the "some folks" who are being rewarded for failure with hate crime legislation? What are you being blamed for with the implementation of hate crime laws?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:49 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Oh give me a break...Yeah, all us white males really have it rough don't we? Why me?

I go to bed every night praying that God will turn me black or Hispanic..
Man you had me cracking up!!!!

It dosen't get much funnier than this! LOL

Old 10-30-2009, 09:57 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
I disagree. I am not part of a racial group and neither is anyone else, unless you consider the genus Homo to be a race. (It isn't)

This law is stupid in a vast number of ways, too many to really get into here.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:02 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
White males are actually a minority globally, but we are easy to hate and blame because collectively we still control the world's wealth.
White males (including White Hispanics) are a minority right here in the USA compared to women.

For that matter: the Japanese and a few other 'people of color' are also hated due to their collective success.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:52 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
I disagree. I am not part of a racial group and neither is anyone else, unless you consider the genus Homo to be a race. (It isn't)

This law is stupid in a vast number of ways, too many to really get into here.
Because you think hate laws are bad for a vast number of reasons, I'll gives the main reason I think hate crime laws are important. A hate crime means a crime that is motivated mostly by the perpetrators hatred of an aspect of a person's identity. That is the some motivation behind genocide. A hate crime is a baby step toward genocide, and as students of the 20th century, we should all agree that genocide is horrible. So it makes sense to me to impose a slightly harsher penalty on people who exhibit faintly genocidal behavior. Remember again, that it is possible to commit a hate crime against a white man. That was the whole point of this thread.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:55 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
White people--do you actually realize that you are part of a racial group?

Yes ... and it's because of this fact that Affirmative Action should be completely done away with.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:43 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Hate crime laws make you feel guilty about your success? Who are the "some folks" who are being rewarded for failure with hate crime legislation? What are you being blamed for with the implementation of hate crime laws?

Exactly where did I say I felt guilty? Re-read the post.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:47 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I am posting this thread, which I expect to be controversial, because I realized yesterday that someone, as a fellow white person, was thoroughly convinced that whiteness wasn't a racial category, and therefore he had been arguing against hate crime legislation because he thought it only applied to what he called "special groups," which, by his definition, only included people who were either homosexual or people who weren't white. I pointed out that the category "white people" was itself a special group, so it wasn't necessarily excluded from hate crimes legislation. In other words, he was making the argument that straight white men weren't a "protected group" under such legislation, and that made him feel excluded. I was making the argument that yes, in fact, he was. White males are among the groups--which include us all--that hate crime legislation protects. If someone was killed specifically because they were white, they could be prosecuted under hate crimes legislation. Likewise, if someone were killed because they were straight, their killers could also be prosecuted under such legislation. This concept seemed to be either so revelatory or so basic that he never responded back.

That's why I decided to post that concept here because it might prove to be equally instructive. Straight and white people, I'd like you to know from a fellow straight and white person that you also belong to a group that is marked by its racial and sexual orientation characteristics, and when you get mad about how hate crimes protect "special groups of people," you reveal your ignorance of the fact that you are also a member of a "special group of people." It's possible that you might be a victim of a hate crime, just like someone else might. The most important point I'm trying to make is that being white and straight is not the normal, unmarked state of being against which every other state of being should be measured. If you really think it is, then you really should try to get over the special status you think your state of being confers. You are not that special--every other member of every other group has just as legitimate a claim to feel safe as you do. I think if we all admitted that, the world would be a better place. If you, straight and white people, were victimized because of who you are, wouldn't you want that context to be taken into account? I think you would, and quiet as it's kept, I'm just sayin' that that is the case, and for the past several hundred years, it always has been.
I am not white. I am Irish and Osage. I do not check any categories on forms and never have. And until they put one that says "none of my GD business" I won't choose a category.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Do you think people from Sicily Italy are "white"??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies