Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:52 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
White males are actually a minority globally, but we are easy to hate and blame because collectively we still control the world's wealth.
Nah, I don't hate all white males. Just the heterosexual ones.

Just kiddin'. Really!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:54 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
By the way, for white people who don't want to let FACTS get in the way of their biases, the FACT is that, as a percentage of the population, BLACKS are arrested and charged with HATE CRIMES more than any other group of people!
Blacks arrested more<br> for 'hate crimes'

The FBI's "Hate Crime Statistics" for 1999 show that 2,030 whites were arrested that year for "hate crimes" against blacks, compared to 524 blacks who were arrested and charged with a "hate crime" against whites.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, blacks make up 12.8 percent of the population -- or about 35.4 million of the country's 280 million people -- so, given the arrest rate versus population percentage, the data indicates that blacks are one-and-a-half times more likely to be arrested for a "hate crime" than whites.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:02 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
By the way, for white people who don't want to let FACTS get in the way of their biases, the FACT is that, as a percentage of the population, BLACKS are arrested and charged with HATE CRIMES more than any other group of people!

The FBI's "Hate Crime Statistics" for 1999 show that 2,030 whites were arrested that year for "hate crimes" against blacks, compared to 524 blacks who were arrested and charged with a "hate crime" against whites.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, blacks make up 12.8 percent of the population -- or about 35.4 million of the country's 280 million people -- so, given the arrest rate versus population percentage, the data indicates that blacks are one-and-a-half times more likely to be arrested for a "hate crime" than whites.
Come on Kev, there's a really huge detail you're purposely leaving out and you know it. Since you said this much, lets see if you've got the stones to tell the whole story.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:04 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post

So what? All I'm saying is that anyone can be a victim of a hate crime--there are no special groups. Even if the statistics you've cited are true, and I'm not saying that they are, they have absolutely nothing to do with my original point. I suspect that some white people are mad now that the days when their identity has been the unmarked one against which everyone else's is judged is ending, quiet as it's kept. Again, so what? Everybody else has already dealt with this and lived to tell the tale.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:24 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
White people--do you actually realize that you are part of a racial group?

Yes ... and it's because of this fact that Affirmative Action should be completely done away with.
As well as any other form of discrimination.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:29 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,778 times
I've been told over and over by blacks that "whites have no color", so no.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:21 PM

231 posts, read 576,832 times
There's already a current federal hate crime law (enacted in 1969) that allows federal investigation and prosecution of hate crimes based on race, religion, and national origin. This hate crimes bill will add sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and disability to the already existing law.

The hate crime bill doesn't stiffen penalties or anything like that. It gives the ability for federal investigation and prosecution. It's mainly for funding. The federal government can now fund local law enforcements for hate crimes investigations and prosecutions and take over when local levels won't. The Matthew Shepard Act and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Prevent Act (the hate crimes bill's actual name) was of course named for Matthew Shepard who was targeted and tortured and murdered due to his sexual orientation but also James Byrd, Jr. who was targeted because he was black and tied to a truck by white supremists, dragged, and then decapitated.

It is a great step forward having this hate crimes bill pass, and it would've never passed with Republics as the majority in office or a Republic president.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
I know that on some 'forms' instead of white, there is only an option for Caucasian or AA or Hispanic, etc... No white option
Caucasian - same thing as white

Old 10-31-2009, 07:23 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
The most discriminated individual is the single white male. The single white male is the target of almost every black comedian in America. He is passed over in the work place for no better reason than he is white. If he complains he is labeled a racist.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Caucasian - same thing as white
Technically, no. The term Caucasian is actually an error. It was once assumed that whites originated in the Caucasus region and was based on a debunked pseudo-science called craniology. "White people" come in many different shapes and skin tones and none originate from any specific region of Europe as was once believed. So technically, there is no such thing as a Caucasian and it's use today is more than a bit racist/elitist and based on 19th century biases. I don't find the term offensive but some whites do. I really don't care what you call me as long as you call me for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies