Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:06 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times

Advertisements

Ultra-Liberal would in fact be like Brave New World (the book of course). I actually never saw the movie, but maybe I will look into it sometime..

A neo-Conservative world would look like 1984, but I was thinking more along the lines of the government portrayed in V for Vendetta. Although that movie explored the nature of extreme social Conservatism and corporatism, which really has nothing to do with neo-Conservatism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 10:07 AM

432 posts, read 605,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I dont know, Ive never seen any of them, or 1984 (1984) either - I understand 1984 is pretty definitive. Really should rent the darn thing, I have Netflix.
so how did you know what 'soma' is? did you read the book(s)? or what?

Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
so how did you know what 'soma' is? did you read the book(s)? or what?
Of course!

You can read both online, too, thank Ford.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:14 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Brave New World text: Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

1984 text: George Orwell's 1984

Old 10-30-2009, 10:15 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
well, some pluses in brave new world, is that adults have sex with everyone.. they do it with just one other person at a time though, they call sex 'engaging' and there is no commitments or anything like that...guys and gals never really get turned down from asking someone to engage..

they also take a happy drug all the time which keeps them all perfectly happy all the time... even the lower class workers they have get the drug so they are happy while working all the time too..

they do have 'death panels' in that movie though once you hit a certain age..

The worst thing about living in that type of world is that you don't know you are controlled.. and more importantly, you don't know what Love is..

and i really can't see any pluses in living in a 1984 world...
I don't recall any homosexuality in Brave New World.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
Quote:
If neoconservatives got their way 100% of time?

If liberals got their way 100% of time?
In neo-cons went first the world would be look like a cinder ball, wouldn't be any second.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
well, some pluses in brave new world, is that adults have sex with everyone.. they do it with just one other person at a time though, they call sex 'engaging' and there is no commitments or anything like that...guys and gals never really get turned down from asking someone to engage..

they also take a happy drug all the time which keeps them all perfectly happy all the time... even the lower class workers they have get the drug so they are happy while working all the time too..

they do have 'death panels' in that movie though once you hit a certain age..

The worst thing about living in that type of world is that you don't know you are controlled.. and more importantly, you don't know what Love is..

and i really can't see any pluses in living in a 1984 world...
LOL...like the "positives" you point out. Speaking of utopian fantasies. How about The Matrix. At least that could explain our current world.

Instead of aliens however, we simply have the Central Banks of the world determining everything in the "program".

Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
If neoconservatives got their way 100% of time? I think the world would look like the movie "1984"

If liberals got their way 100% of time? I think the world would look like the movie "Brave New World"

possibly..

but if you look at liberals, you see bigger government, over regulation...I think in a libeal world it would be closer to 1984, with the loss of morals of ABNW, (ie as mangone said ""adults have sex with everyone.. they do it with just one other person at a time though, they call sex 'engaging' and there is no commitments or anything like that...guys and gals never really get turned down from asking someone to engage.....they also take a happy drug all the time which keeps them all perfectly happy all the time... even the lower class workers they have get the drug so they are happy while working all the time too......they do have 'death panels' in that movie though once you hit a certain age.......The worst thing about living in that type of world is that you don't know you are controlled.. and more importantly, you don't know what Love is.."""

on the other hand, I am not sure EXACTLY what a neo-con is, since the defination seems to change depending on who you talk to....according to the official defination a neo-conservative is a former democrat that got tired of the swing to the left. That being said, in a TRUE conservative world, we would have small government, the way the founding fathers dreamed this county to be.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:48 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
If neoconservatives got their way 100% of time?

If liberals got their way 100% of time?
Both extremes of those ideologies are busy bodies, who think their reason on this earth is to force their personal choices and beliefs on America, and the world.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:58 AM

432 posts, read 605,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I don't recall any homosexuality in Brave New World.
yea, there wasn't any.. but there wasn't orgies either. It was strictly one man and one woman, but there were no 'couples' or 'relationships' at all... It was just promiscuous sex all the time, but in a civilized form they sort of had...

i don't know why the author didn't put homosexuality in there.. but it might of had to do with the fact that EVERYONE in the show was controlled.. NO ONE was allowed to be different... Either all homo or all hetero or all bi... he went with hetero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies