Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 12:04 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Honestly the idiocy astounds me. If you insist on gettin' jiggy with someone who has just stepped off a plane, and looks a tad unwell, common sense safe sex practices still apply.
Sometimes the sex with an HIV-infected individual is not consensual as in rape cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 12:09 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Sometimes the sex with an HIV-infected individual is not consensual as in rape cases.
Agreed.

That is one thing I thought about when I was posting.

What if they come from a HIV infected place and rape women here like the man who raped six women?

Old 11-01-2009, 04:47 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
A condom is not 100% protection from AIDS and people are going to have sex with people who are not long term partners. That is a fact.
Use of a condom greatly reduces your risk of STDs and as you point out people will have sex with people who are not long term partners. The solution isn't to ban entry of people to the US with STDs. Don't forget there are actually Americans with STDs.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:49 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I disagree. I think Americans are educated about HIV and the majority of HIV positive people are responsible. I don't think that the people who immigrate to this country will have the same knowledge and responsiblility.

Don't count on other people to protect you, use condoms.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:46 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
I have mixed feelings on this.

On one side, strict implementation of the "no HIV" policy would bar otherwise healthy and productive people like Magic Johnson from entering the US. I know he is an American citizen, but I'm just using that as an example.

On the other side, containing HIV is a very legitimate public health policy. Perhaps the most legitimate since that is the sort of thing that public health was originally conceived as doing. I mean with all the whining about virtually non-existent public health threats like secondhand smoke, you'd think you might want to focus on something that is known for a fact that it WILL kill other people if they catch it from you; everyone who gets HIV either dies with it or from it. Plus, I am willing to beat that if I had HIV, I can kill for more people with my penis than I could ever hope to from my cigarette.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:11 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times
You all realize that this ban is for people traveling to the US, included tourists and business people, not just immigrants, don't you?

Old 11-01-2009, 08:32 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
You all realize that this ban is for people traveling to the US, included tourists and business people, not just immigrants, don't you?
Yes, and HIV can come from the penis of a Thai businessman or a Dutch tourist just the same as a Haitian immigrant.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:34 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Yes, and HIV can come from the penis of a Thai businessman or a Dutch tourist just the same as a Haitian immigrant.
And an American basketball player.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:36 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Got a penis-as-a-deadly-weapon thing going there, eh?

Old 11-01-2009, 09:00 AM

615 posts, read 1,692,932 times
Listen, think about it, do you really think the ban stopped the dishonest HIV infected people from entering the country in the first place? All this does is allow the good people, the perfectly normal honest people who happen to be HIV infected to be allowed to visit and POSSIBLY immigrate. They aren't going to allow all HIV people to become immigrants, they just aren't going to use the disease to say they can't. It is the same logic used against gun control, bans like this without any merit only work for the good people, the bad folks wouldn't give a crap anyway. It's not like we all have to walk around proving our HIV status.

Like someone has already mentioned, it really won't change anything for the average person. It appeases a group of people without really doing much at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies