Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Its just to get some attention and to cause a stink. I think the display is stupid, personally. But I guess if they'd have a witch display then the wiccans would complain. If it was mummies some egyptian would cry foul. If it was ghosts under bed sheets then the NAACP would again complain. If it was a demon or devil, then the fundamentalist christians would yell. If it was a werewolf the PETA people would howl. And when they put up a Santa or Manger scene this Christmas the ACLU and liberals will **** their pants and scream their heads off.
Not to spoil the magical humor of your post but your last sentence isnt true. The ACLU doesnt care as long as it's not on govt property and "libruls", being sensible, feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 07:25 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
If it was a werewolf the PETA people would howl.
That sentence is hilarious on so many levels.

You're right, it really doesn't matter what you do, it's going to offend someone. I was once told that it doesn't actually take all kinds to make a world, there just happen to be all kinds.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:28 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
That sentence is hilarious on so many levels.

You're right, it really doesn't matter what you do, it's going to offend someone. I was once told that it doesn't actually take all kinds to make a world, there just happen to be all kinds.
Yep, and that's why I stopped caring about all but the most blatant incidents a long time ago. Everything offends someone now, and unless it's really over the top then I could care less about the whimpering and whining.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:13 PM

69 posts, read 63,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post

I swear it's groups like this that are driving the wedge between blacks and whites deeper and deeper.

...and it will continue to be driven deeper and deeper until the end of time if we continue to brush off these incidents

Old 10-31-2009, 08:19 PM

807 posts, read 1,302,703 times
Shouldn't the NAACP be upset that so many Black students are dropping out of High Schools? or about the numerous Gangs and drugs in Black neighborhoods and prey on black youth? or the negativity reflected in Rap and Hip hop music? I mean, seriously..a Halloween costume should be WAAYY Down on the list..

Old 10-31-2009, 08:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Not to spoil the magical humor of your post but your last sentence isnt true. The ACLU doesnt care as long as it's not on govt property and "libruls", being sensible, feel the same way.
This effigy was hung on government property, a public park.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:50 PM

29 posts, read 111,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadetduke View Post
Everyone knows only black people hang from trees. /sarcasm

You state that everyone knows. I don't. We were all together. Picking peas, beans, korn, etc. We were doing what we could do in order to make a little bit of $$ so we could ride our motorcycles. Have you ever tasted gasoline? Siphoning gasoline from our daddy's cars to get some gas to ride our motorcycles tasted horrible! Then, our daddy's noticed their tanks were getting lower & didn't know how? Then, one day they figured it out when they were together at Sunday Services! Restriction made our moms miserable, so we had to shell the peas & beans which make a mess.....in other words, we weren't on restriction long at all!

Old 10-31-2009, 08:50 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Unless there's some underlying reason to think it's racist, it just seems like a Halloween prank/decoration.

Personally, that's one decoration I never like to see because, unlike a vampire, werewolf, etc., people really do hang themselves and I always think about how sad it must be for family members of a suicide victim to drive by and see that. Not being PC--just trying to be thoughtful.
That's what PC is....being considerate ....which is why Repugs hate it so much.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesj View Post
...and it will continue to be driven deeper and deeper until the end of time if we continue to brush off these incidents
I disagree. Someone harping on the same subject day in and day out would eventually push Ghandi to violence. There comes a time to walk away and leave it alone.

I can keep flicking a cat on the head and while it may take it for awhile, sooner or later it's going to whip out the claws and slice me open.
If I simply leave it alone for awhile, in a couple days both me and the cat will have forgotten all about and we'll be friends again.

Beside that, the only "incident" here was manufactured by the NAACP. While it's true that some blacks were indeed hanged, hanging was a rather popular form of execution for thousands of years and not at all used exclusively on blacks. I have no hard data but I'd hazard a guess that since it was a standard form of execution in Europe and the US for so long, that considerably more white men's lives have terminated at the end of a rope than blacks. It's a gruesome way to die and quite fitting for Halloween, that time of year when we dress up as tortured souls who died in various grisly fashions or as monsters and other scary stuff.

My ancestors were beheaded, hanged, racked, drawn and quartered, put to the iron maiden...and I'm fairly certain that more than one or two of my ancestors did the same to others...but I don't find it particularly offensive for a Halloween display. Someone put a hanged man made of old clothes and some trash bags in a tree for Halloween. So What? The only way someone could see that as racist is by reaching...all the way up and pulling it out.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
They are alwasy angry at soemjthing how days. its the only time people now take any notice of them. They are now thouhg tof as so 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies