Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the homosexual lifestyle be discussed in elementary schools?
Yes 29 30.85%
No 62 65.96%
Not sure 3 3.19%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:41 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
or they could conclude it as a business decision and like wal-mart to be called a family store, and their idea of a family consists of adam and eve, not adam and steve.
I was wondering when someone would toss out that tired, old cliche....

Old 10-30-2009, 06:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I think they they should not say anything about it being ok or not.

What I mean is perhaps go over what homosexuality is and explain that some people might be gay. Let students know that if they feel upset about their sexuality or need to talk to someone that help is available.

Nothing more, nothing less. Leave the rest to the parents.

In elementary school, no. But in High school, I do not think it would hurt to go over it briefly.
I'm not sure what they should/shouldn't say, especially if a child is being picked on or is visibly upset and depressed. I have no problem with gay kids or parents being viewed as normal from the school side, or with kids being aware of it. I AM SURE that this topic, along with many many others, should not have a big role in public education. Too many social issues have been pushed upon the schools because nobody knows how to actually deal with them. The kids become the guinea pigs for everything it seems.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
In elementary school, no. But in High school, I do not think it would hurt to go over it briefly.
Better late than never, of course, but I think high school is way too late. As early as elementary school, kids sense differences based on gender identity and begin to bully the kids who "act" gay.

Also, with hundreds of thousands of kids in America being raised by same-sex parents, I don't see why anyone should be afraid of acknowledging that they exist, and that they can be good parents too.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:45 PM

654 posts, read 466,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASActuary View Post
I would argue cause and effect there. So many people take no responsibility when it comes to their kids (like educating them properly).
That is why we have schools (institutes for learning). We are not talking about teaching our kids calculus, evolution, Shakespeare, history, etc. We are talking about teaching sexual morality which is different and many sexual educational classes cannot do this in an objective manner ranging from the religious right viewpoints to accusations of "fistgate".

If people want to teach sex education, then that is up to the parents and the local community and the federal government should remain neutral and not fund such programs.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Some folks I have come to found on a C-D thread, are asexual.

Should this be discussed in public schools, or should it be encouraged?
If there's good science to back up the subject of asexuality, then yes, I don't see any harm in discussing it in a class about human sexuality.

Not sure why you were even consider encouraging it, however. Sexual orientation is what it is. I don't know of any evidence that proves people can be talked into one orientation or another.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:46 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I was wondering when someone would toss out that tired, old cliche....

might be cliche to you, but obviously it is not cliche to wally world.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:48 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Some people think that having sex with a child is normal. Doesn't mean that I am going to agree tho.
Pedophiles are sick. Children cannot consent to sex, period.

To compare the two shows a shocking lack of education regarding human sexuality as well as a great deal of intolerance toward people who do not fit within your idea of heteronormativity.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:48 PM

654 posts, read 466,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
you mean racist goverment.
How so? I know that our history is plagued with racism and even the government endorsed it times, but how is the government racist?

Are you upset that there is a colored man in office?

Old 10-30-2009, 06:49 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Homosexuals brainwashing our children in elementary schools

Children do not need to be taught about homosexuality, children are in school to learn about math, reading, and writing, not homosexuality.
If you want a dumb kid, then you can do that
You got issues. You're full of hate.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:50 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If there's good science to back up the subject of asexuality, then yes, I don't see any harm in discussing it in a class about human sexuality.

Not sure why you were even consider encouraging it, however. Sexual orientation is what it is. I don't know of any evidence that proves people can be talked into one orientation or another.
I once talked to an ex-felon who was the butt of many jokes in prison and asked him if they were gay. He said no, they were just horny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies