Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the homosexual lifestyle be discussed in elementary schools?
Yes 29 30.85%
No 62 65.96%
Not sure 3 3.19%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:13 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Since the average elementary school in the US has 500-700 students, 30-40 kids are having sex with more than likely no sex education. Multiply that by the number of schools, I'd say they should at least be starting up the dialogue with kids.
I would think that the act itself would be education enough.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:15 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I'm only just starting to see that Americans are very different across so many regions. It's interesting from my perspective because I've always wanted to go to the South and I probably will at some point just so I can experience the differences first hand. (HOPEFULLY only the good ones! )
Yeah well, take your time. I live in the South now. I really try to respect differing points of view, and respect that most people that live around us now are very socially conservative, that I can live with. BUT I find myself doing damage control regularly with my kids with all the outright lies they hear at school.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:16 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I would think that the act itself would be education enough.
Of a sort, I guess!

Old 10-31-2009, 12:17 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
If people would take responsibility for their own kids, instead of allowing the school districts to do it for them, we would be much better off in my own opinion.
"If" is the operative word. The reality is that most people in America are not talking with their kids about sexuality, and many who do aren't equipped with much knowledge about it. I think we're a nation of sexual illiterates.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:17 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I have question for you. Your 7 year old comes home from school and tells you that her new friend has two dads (or two moms) and asks you for an explanation of how that's possible. How do you respond? (and sorry, but 6th or 7th grade, which is 12-13 years old is much too late to be explaining the birds and the bees to most kids.)
Like I posted before, and you can go back and look at my postings, I am trying to argue that the issue of alternative kinds of families includes gays and lesbians, but also includes other family configurations. Again, and I feel like I'm repeated myself over and over, I was adopted as an infant by a straight couple, but I could have just as easily been adopted by a gay couple.

My parents, cool as they are, had to have a conversation with me when I was about 5 about the differences between me and the child that they wanted but couldn't conceive. I was not like all the other children--I had come their way by a 15 year old's misfortune. When I then went to school and tried to explain these facts to my classmates, they recoiled--why didn't my original mommy keep me? If I would have had a vocabulary to talk about that, i.e., there are some families that can't deal with their children, and therefore they must find new mommies and daddies to deal with that fact, I would have been much better off. Extrapolating from my experience as an adoptee who had to reconcile that she didn't come from mommy's egg and daddy's sperm, I can only imagine what the children of same sex couples have to go through.

So what I'm asking all the probable advocates of adoption here is very simply, if that was hard enough for me to get through that, as an actual child of adoption, then how much harder do you think it would be for a child to get through who had been adopted by gay parents?

And before you turn that around again and say that just merely stating the fact that sex exists, which smart kids know by the time that they are eight, somehow encourages them to have it, I would just like to say that s really do play doctor, they really do touch themselves, and they are not sexually innocent in the way you imagine them to be. I really admire a lot of people who have been posting here. They have remained civil and respectful to an extent that I don't know I would have been able to maintain. All I have tried to do is offer an example of a family configuration that caused me pain as a child, in no small part because the way that you choose to raise your children makes them unable to recognize alternative family units. It is interesting to me that some of you always offer adoption as an alternative, but you never really think through what that entails. I think that people like "an unidentified male" and "zimbochick" have been immensely charitable to you, and I would just like to see that charity returned. This got really long, and I'm sorry for that.

It just strains the quality of charity when I have said over and over that you might want to watch the original video, that you might want to look at what I say about how kids figure their sexuality out on their own, and that you might want to define your terms. I have been begging for you to please define what a "homosexual lifestyle" means, and I have also asked you to define a "homoxesual agenda" and how it differs from, say, an algebra agenda.

I'm waiting for the first person to talk about how being adopted by straight people is remarkably different from being adopted by gay people. I'd really like to have that conversation.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:18 AM

654 posts, read 466,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Since the average elementary school in the US has 500-700 students, 30-40 kids are having sex with more than likely no sex education. Multiply that by the number of schools, I'd say they should at least be starting up the dialogue with kids.
13 is not elementary age. That is past K-5 and into Jr. High.

In fact, I would support sex ed past elementary ages if taught objectively, but teaching K-5th graders about safe and responsible sex is pushing the envelope.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Trust me - you're way ahead of us on this.

Another example: Australia started allowing gays to serve openly in the military in the early 1990s, I believe. Here, we're still wrestling with the issue. It's nonsense.
To be honest I get really frustrated with how far behind I think we are STILL.

Granted we seem to be further along in some ways but still we've not reflecting public opinion in our laws. The push is on though and there's far more in support than not. (NOT that that will necessarily help us. MOST Australians support Euthanasia but the gubberment aint budging on the issue. )

This is the next step for us and I still don't think it's enough

Civil Partnerships Bill 2009

The Civil Partnerships Bill 2009 was presented by the Greens on the 26 August 2009 to the ACT Legislative Assembly and was introduced to several members of the ACT Legislative Assembly on 2 September 2009 and will be debated and voted on in October 2009. This will allow ceremonies to be conducted with civil partnerships, which was the contentious item removed from last years' legislation. Labor initially accused the Greens of playing politics by resurrecting the issue, but unanimously backed the bill as a matter of principle as it is Labor Party policy to support civil unions.

Recognition of same-sex unions in the Australian Capital Territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-31-2009, 12:26 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
This is the next step for us and I still don't think it's enough

Civil Partnerships Bill 2009

The Civil Partnerships Bill 2009 was presented by the Greens on the 26 August 2009 to the ACT Legislative Assembly and was introduced to several members of the ACT Legislative Assembly on 2 September 2009 and will be debated and voted on in October 2009. This will allow ceremonies to be conducted with civil partnerships, which was the contentious item removed from last years' legislation. Labor initially accused the Greens of playing politics by resurrecting the issue, but unanimously backed the bill as a matter of principle as it is Labor Party policy to support civil unions.

Recognition of same-sex unions in the Australian Capital Territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bit by bit, piece by piece, it'll all come together eventually. The drawback in the U.S. is that we've got 50 "bits" to deal with, and in many of the states, the voters have the ability to invalidate same-sex marriages. In about 20 states, they've even banned civil unions.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:29 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Why? Are you afraid that kids are going "catch" homosexuality if it's talked about in schools?
The question is why are gays targeting children at that age?

Old 10-31-2009, 12:32 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
And I pity those who think that ignorance and misinformation is a good thing.

So who appointed you to decide what is true for the rest of us?

Last edited by momonkey; 10-31-2009 at 12:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies