Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the homosexual lifestyle be discussed in elementary schools?
Yes 29 30.85%
No 62 65.96%
Not sure 3 3.19%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 05:19 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Your statement makes the assumption that conservatives, by default, reject homosexuality as an accepted sexual orientation. I know for a fact that there are conservatives who are not anti-gay. You're one of them, I believe.

When you say "a conservative", I think you really mean to say "someone who is anti-gay" because the word "conservative" does not automatically mean that someone is anti-gay.
You are right. I should have been more specific

Old 10-31-2009, 05:23 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What is the goal. The goal is harmony and respect.
In order to have harmony and respect, I believe that understanding is necessary. To "reject the homosexual lifestyle" is incongruent with having respect for someone who is homosexual, in my opinion.

Of course, no one has to like the idea of homosexuality, but I think it's important for people to understand that, to the best of our knowledge, homosexuality is not something that is chosen. I don't know how an educated person could suggest that it's okay to tell kids that homosexuality is a "rejected lifestyle".

Old 10-31-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You are right. I should have been more specific
Thank you for engaging me. I know it's sort of a semantical argument. I just wanted to clarify that in order to qualify as a conservative, I don't think a person has to be anti-gay.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:37 AM

654 posts, read 466,121 times
Quote:
In order to have harmony and respect, I believe that understanding is necessary. To "reject the homosexual lifestyle" is incongruent with having respect for someone who is homosexual, in my opinion.
Coming from a person who looks forward to old people dying off, this is ironic and incongruous.

Quote:
Of course, no one has to like the idea of homosexuality, but I think it's important for people to understand that, to the best of our knowledge, homosexuality is not something that is chosen. I don't know how an educated person could suggest that it's okay to tell kids that homosexuality is a "rejected lifestyle".
It is wrong to teach that homosexuality is a "rejected lifestyle" as it it wrong to teach young children that it is acceptable.

Why do you feel the need to endorse this among K-5 instead of 6+ grade?

Old 10-31-2009, 05:40 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Homosexuals brainwashing our children in elementary schools

Children do not need to be taught about homosexuality, children are in school to learn about math, reading, and writing, not homosexuality.
Your "theory" is convoluted and ludacrist. Consider this fact.

Gay people are indoctrinated to conform to straight society as soon as they are born. We are bombarded by straight sexuality from family, friends and most forms of media......you people are relentless in this pursuit.

Yet gay people are conceived each and every generation by ...yes mainly straight couples. Even with your straight indoctrination I still knew I was gay....your "brainwashing" did not/does not succeed.

These facts of live render your paranoid assumptions to obscurity and shows that the only brainwashed people are yourself and a few other misinformed posters.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:46 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
Quote:
Bingo!
Oh good! Thank you! For a minute there I got a little lost in the hatred and my brain became befuddled. It's good to know I didn't miss that the initial post and "supporting evidence" for the argument seem to be at odds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
I am sorry. You did respond to my post, but this topic was high paced and I missed it. By all means, I am not making excuses and will own up to my mistakes.

Could you please explain again why I am racist and why I want to perpetuate stereotypes instead of rising above them?
Because you negated and dismissed the very important cultural activities of my country as nothing. I gave you examples of a variety of cultural activities that I can recall celebrating here as a child which I feel greatly helped both myself and others to come to a better understanding of our differences. These seemingly silly (to you) celebrations most definitely contribute to the tolerance and acceptance of diversity that I enjoy in this country today. My impression from your response was that that they don't count therefore we don't count. Perhaps that wasn't your intention?

If that is the case then please accept my apologies.

As far as I can see people learn most if not all of their attitudes to the world around them as impressionable children. If there are children within the group at school who are not "of the norm" then to me it is VITAL that this is recognized AND presented in such a way that children understand that different does not equal = bad AND that there are MANY different interpretations of "normal".

I truly don't believe that there's a person on this thread that would be wanting the promotion of sex or sex acts to be part of the curriculum in primary (elementary) schools but if we're going to say that it's ok to celebrate diversity (and it would appear that we are) then that diversity also includes parents that come from "non traditional" families.

It might even include celebrating gee, I don't know Aussies.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:47 AM

654 posts, read 466,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Your "theory" is convoluted and ludacrist. Consider this fact.

Gay people are indoctrinated to conform to straight society as soon as they are born. We are bombarded by straight sexuality from family, friends and most forms of media......you people are relentless in this pursuit.

Yet gay people are conceived each and every generation by ...yes mainly straight couples. Even with your straight indoctrination I still knew I was gay....your "brainwashing" did not/does not succeed.

These facts of live render your paranoid assumptions to obscurity and shows that the only brainwashed people are yourself and a few other misinformed posters.
How is sticking to math, reading, and writing being anti-gay, regarding K-5 year olds?

Old 10-31-2009, 05:51 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
How is sticking to math, reading, and writing being anti-gay, regarding K-5 year olds?
Name ONE school in either Australia or America where children are ONLY TAUGHT Maths, Reading and Writing AND NOTHING MORE.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Name ONE school in either Australia or America where children are ONLY TAUGHT Maths, Reading and Writing AND NOTHING MORE.
You have more patience than I do. I love how people post that we should only be teaching "reading, writing, and arithmetic" in public schools - as if it's 1925 or something! They're absolutely living in a fantasy world.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:55 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASActuary View Post
I would argue that more brainwashing is being done on the other side by religious zealots. Why do some people think they have a right to be this country's morality police?
I agree wholeheartedly!
Now stop doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies