Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:35 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The battle goes on. The gun-rights-haters have lately taken to referring to past court cases rather than to the fundamental laws, especially the 2nd amendment itself and recet cases that address it directly. Who can blame them, when the law so clearly goes against what their agenda demands?

In modern language, the 2nd amendment says, "Since an armed and capable populace is necessary for freedom and security, the right of ordinary people to own and carry guns and other such weapons cannot be taken away or restricted."

----------------------------------------

N.J. Court Says Americans Have No Right To Buy Handguns - Taking Liberties - CBS News

October 28, 2009 7:50 PM

N.J. Court Says Americans Have No Right To Buy Handguns

Another section dealing with licensing says: "No person of good character and good repute in the community in which he lives, and who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in this section or other sections of this chapter, shall be denied a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card, except as hereinafter set forth." Some of the exceptions involve criminal records, for instance.

What prompted the current lawsuit was a request for a handgun purchase permit that Anthony Dubov submitted to the East Windsor Chief of Police. The police chief denied Dubov's request without giving any reason, in what the appeals court later ruled was a violation of state law. The current East Windsor police chief is William Spain.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Every state is different but, NJ has always been very strict about handguns. Rifles and shotguns are allowed but, you have to have a permit to buy one. Handguns require the additional approval from each town's police chief (for each hangun) in order for a resident to get one. I was born there in 1961 and moved away in 1979 and it was always that way.....I don't think any reason was ever necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 01:38 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
You still can buy a handgun.........all it did was uphold a state law saying that nobody may possess "any handgun" without obtaining law enforcement approval and permission in advance.

All dumb gun owners better run and hide in their caves and wait for the second coming.

so exercising our 2nd Amendment makes us dumb?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:05 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
^Which has had no bearing since America was trying to break off from British rule. It's been perverted since its inception for people's own selfish reasonings.
Irrelevant.

I can own any gun(s) of any type. I am not bound by any gun law. Sure the government can pass a gun law but all gun control laws are implicitly unconstitutional. Gun ownership is a natural right that no government may legislate or impair.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:33 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
You still can buy a handgun.........all it did was uphold a state law saying that nobody may possess "any handgun" without obtaining law enforcement approval and permission in advance.

All dumb gun owners better run and hide in their caves and wait for the second coming.

strange, 1 of the largest group of people buying firearms especially assault rifles after pbo got elected, is the democrat and the liberals occupying that party.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:45 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,952,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Every state is different but, NJ has always been very strict about handguns. Rifles and shotguns are allowed but, you have to have a permit to buy one. Handguns require the additional approval from each town's police chief (for each hangun) in order for a resident to get one. I was born there in 1961 and moved away in 1979 and it was always that way.....I don't think any reason was ever necessary.
I've heard this too about NJ and I think.....it has a lot to do with the population density of the state?
I believe that most hunting there is restricted to the use of shotguns, etc. as a higher caliber rifle, obviously will fire a round......a much farther distance, thus subjecting people to the possibility of a stray round hitting them or their property?
Either way......anyone who wants to own a handgun for protection, anywhere in America.....should be able to if they aren't some convicted felon with a violent record.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:05 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
^Which has had no bearing since America was trying to break off from British rule. It's been perverted since its inception for people's own selfish reasonings.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason

Co-author of the Second Amendment

during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Old 11-02-2009, 01:26 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,348 times
As a resident I feel a division between police and civilians, because they have guns and we don't and typically the police I've come in contact with are on a power-trip. If everyone could be armed, all law abiding people, then I wouldn't feel this division. NJ is heavily patrolled in a sense that theres more police per sq mile looking to make their quota and get revenues, looking for crimes that don't exist in safe areas. The high crime towns I imagine are very hard to get permits from.

I say there are too many gun-restrictions and to many police.. we wouldn't need all them if we had a healthy economy.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:57 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,952,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
As a resident I feel a division between police and civilians, because they have guns and we don't and typically the police I've come in contact with are on a power-trip. If everyone could be armed, all law abiding people, then I wouldn't feel this division. NJ is heavily patrolled in a sense that theres more police per sq mile looking to make their quota and get revenues, looking for crimes that don't exist in safe areas. The high crime towns I imagine are very hard to get permits from.

I say there are too many gun-restrictions and to many police.. we wouldn't need all them if we had a healthy economy.
Totally agree!

We don't need nearly as many cops as we have now!
Overall crime is dropping nationwide and plenty of stats. will show this.
Time to lay off......thousands of police officers all across the nation, especially when it is about quotas and conviction rates more than an eagerness to "protect and serve."
You have an intruder trying to break in your house?
NO need to dial 911.....when you HAVE a gun.
Just hope your "intruder" isn't a LEO who dropped by to haul your butt off to jail for that unpaid traffic ticket.
Then.....you got a big problem and you just might regret that you ever pulled out a gun.
Lots of folks with itchy trigger fingers thesedays........cops included.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:51 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Does owning or possessing a gun require you to "buy" it? Nope.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:42 AM

20,318 posts, read 19,905,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
In other words, people's right to own a hangun, was restricted by the government.

A clear violation of the 2nd amendment.
It's NJ. 'Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies