Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 02:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,524,996 times

Advertisements

Some things that have been mentioned are obvious, but really need to be adressed as a matter of urgency. Student loans in excess of $200,000 is a tough way to graduate from college. The biggie is Tort Reform, and this affects the doctor and nursing shortage. Specialty physicians pay anywhere up to $300,000 a YEAR in liability insurance. That is insane. Some hospitals cover nurses liability insurance, but more and more require them to insure themselves, especially in high risk speciality environments. That's a very quick way to ensure no doctors or nurses wanting to work in ICU's. Importing doctors and nurses is a great plan. The biggest problem is honestly once they have worked here a while, most don't want to stay here because of all these issues. Work-load has become unsafe (patient ratios), and in for profit environments conflict of interests is par for the course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 02:06 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,754,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Some things that have been mentioned are obvious, but really need to be adressed as a matter of urgency. Student loans in excess of $200,000 is a tough way to graduate from college. The biggie is Tort Reform, and this affects the doctor and nursing shortage. Specialty physicians pay anywhere up to $300,000 a YEAR in liability insurance. That is insane. Some hospitals cover nurses liability insurance, but more and more require them to insure themselves, especially in high risk speciality environments. That's a very quick way to ensure no doctors or nurses wanting to work in ICU's. Importing doctors and nurses is a great plan. The biggest problem is honestly once they have worked here a while, most don't want to stay here because of all these issues. Work-load has become unsafe (patient ratios), and in for profit environments conflict of interests is par for the course.
I know tort reform means different things to different people. What exactly would you like to see done?

Old 10-31-2009, 02:18 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,918,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

Please post some cites to back up your numbers. My mother is a radiologist and pays 9K a year in liability insurance. She makes over 800K a year. I think her insurance is pretty fair don't you.

. Tort costs and the economy: Myths, exaggerations, and propaganda

Old 10-31-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Please post some cites to back up your numbers. My mother is a radiologist and pays 9K a year in liability insurance. She makes over 800K a year. I think her insurance is pretty fair don't you.

. Tort costs and the economy: Myths, exaggerations, and propaganda
800K ....
D
A

M

N

http://www.citizen.org/documents/Rat...ct%20Sheet.pdf

I thought that was very interesting. Medical malpractice rates in decline....

Old 10-31-2009, 02:25 PM

136 posts, read 460,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Well we are in the problem that we are in now because Doctors Associations like the AMA have been trying to keep the number of doctors going into med school very low so that they can demand higher prices. They are simply controlling supply and demand. We have to begin accepting more people into Med school.

See attached article.

100 Years of Medical Robbery - Dale Steinreich - Mises Institute

I was amused to see that an article bashing MDs was written by PHDs. Many of the college classmates I had who became PHDs wanted to become MDs but couldn't get into medical school - just kidding.

Not long ago, i needed to get a shot. Instead,of going to my PCP I went to my local Walgreens where they had a small clinic next to the perscription counter. I rang the bell, the Nurse Pacticeoner (or Physician's Assistant - I'm not sure which) wrote me a prescription which I took to the pharmacy counter. They filled it, I crossed the hall, and the PA/NP administered the shot. Now, just as MDs have limited access to Medical School in the past, they have (like many other professions) avoided "delegating" work that they have traditionally performed, to para professionals or professionals with "lesser" training. Although this is becoming more common, there may be more opportunities to take work off on plate and put it on aother persons plate, getting the same amount of work done at less cost.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,388,569 times
I think it is astouding that a radiologist makes $800,000 a year. She must have some ownership in a diagnostic center or a medical directorship that you are including in her income.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrvi View Post

I was amused to see that an article bashing MDs was written by PHDs. Many of the college classmates I had who became PHDs wanted to become MDs but couldn't get into medical school - just kidding.

Not long ago, i needed to get a shot. Instead,of going to my PCP I went to my local Walgreens where they had a small clinic next to the perscription counter. I rang the bell, the Nurse Pacticeoner (or Physician's Assistant - I'm not sure which) wrote me a prescription which I took to the pharmacy counter. They filled it, I crossed the hall, and the PA/NP administered the shot. Now, just as MDs have limited access to Medical School in the past, they have (like many other professions) avoided "delegating" work that they have traditionally performed, to para professionals or professionals with "lesser" training. Although this is becoming more common, there may be more opportunities to take work off on plate and put it on aother persons plate, getting the same amount of work done at less cost.
Like nurse practitioners doing things doctors can do?

I think the BIG difference is performing surgery, at least that's what I gathered back when I wanted to be a nurse practitioner. Of course you can't prescribe medicine and things like that but that can be changed but I'm sure a lot of doctors would lobby against it.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:36 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,429,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
My question is, with the insurance mandate for health care and bringing in 47 million more people into the system, where are we gonna find the Drs. to meet the increased patient load?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Of course it would have been nice if those in Washington could have thought of this before they started introducing these bills.
I'm sounding like a broken record (at least, to myself), but there's plenty of information, and even answers to many questions, in the bill itself. Here is just some of what I found:

DIVISION C—PUBLIC HEALTH AND WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
TITLE I—COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTERS
TITLE II—WORKFORCE
Subtitle A—Primary Care Workforce
Subtitle B—Nursing Workforce
Subtitle C—Public Health Workforce
Subtitle D—Adapting Workforce to Evolving Health System Needs
TITLE III—PREVENTION AND WELLNESS
TITLE IV—QUALITY AND SURVEILLANCE
TITLE V—OTHER PROVISIONS
Subtitle A—Drug Discount for Rural and Other Hospitals; 340B Program Integrity
Subtitle B—Programs
Subtitle C—Food and Drug Administration
Subtitle D—Community Living Assistance Services and Supports
Subtitle E—Miscellaneous
And here's a portion of what the bill contains under Primary Care Workforce:
PART 1—NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE CORPS
Sec. 2201. National Health Service Corps.
Sec. 2202. Authorizations of appropriations.
PART 2—PROMOTION OF PRIMARY CARE AND DENTISTRY
Sec. 2211. Frontline health providers.
‘SUBPART XI—HEALTH PROFESSIONAL NEEDS AREAS
Sec. 340H. In general.
Sec. 340I. Loan repayments.
Sec. 340J. Report.
Sec. 340K. Allocation.
Sec. 2212. Primary care student loan funds.
Sec. 2213. Training in family medicine, general internal medicine, general pediatrics, geriatrics, and physician assistants.
Sec. 2214. Training of medical residents in community-based settings.
Sec. 2215. Training for general, pediatric, and public health dentists and dental hygienists.
Sec. 2216. Authorization of appropriations.
Sec. 2217. Study on effectiveness of scholarships and loan repayments.
There really is a lot in the bill about training doctors and nurses, loans and scholarships for those pursuing medical careers, and so on.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I'm sounding like a broken record (at least, to myself), but there's plenty of information, and even answers to many questions, in the bill itself. Here is just some of what I found:

DIVISION C—PUBLIC HEALTH AND WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
TITLE I—COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTERS
TITLE II—WORKFORCE
Subtitle B—Nursing Workforce
Subtitle C—Public Health Workforce
Subtitle D—Adapting Workforce to Evolving Health System Needs
TITLE III—PREVENTION AND WELLNESS
TITLE IV—QUALITY AND SURVEILLANCE
TITLE V—OTHER PROVISIONS
Subtitle A—Drug Discount for Rural and Other Hospitals; 340B Program Integrity
Subtitle B—Programs
Subtitle C—Food and Drug Administration
Subtitle D—Community Living Assistance Services and Supports
Subtitle E—Miscellaneous
And here's a portion of what the bill contains under Primary Care Workforce:
PART 1—NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE CORPS
Sec. 2201. National Health Service Corps.
Sec. 2202. Authorizations of appropriations.
PART 2—PROMOTION OF PRIMARY CARE AND DENTISTRY
Sec. 2211. Frontline health providers.
‘SUBPART XI—HEALTH PROFESSIONAL NEEDS AREAS
Sec. 340H. In general.
Sec. 340I. Loan repayments.
Sec. 340J. Report.
Sec. 340K. Allocation.
Sec. 2212. Primary care student loan funds.
Sec. 2213. Training in family medicine, general internal medicine, general pediatrics, geriatrics, and physician assistants.
Sec. 2214. Training of medical residents in community-based settings.
Sec. 2215. Training for general, pediatric, and public health dentists and dental hygienists.
Sec. 2216. Authorization of appropriations.
Sec. 2217. Study on effectiveness of scholarships and loan repayments.
There really is a lot in the bill about training doctors and nurses, loans and scholarships for those pursuing medical careers, and so on.
Thank you for that.

I think H.R. 676 has something like that.

Quote:
(D) a health professional education budget, including amounts for the continued funding of resident physician training programs.
Text of H.R. 676 | John Conyers for Congress (http://www.johnconyers.com/hr676text - broken link)

I love that H.R. 676 covers mental health! One because I think mental health services are definitely needed in this country.
Two because I want to be a mental health professional.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:50 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,429,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I love that H.R. 676 covers mental health! One because I think mental health services are definitely needed in this country. Two because I want to be a mental health professional.
Here ya go!
Subtitle B—Standards Guaranteeing Access to Affordable Coverage
Sec. 211. Prohibiting preexisting condition exclusions.
Sec. 212. Guaranteed issue and renewal for insured plans and prohibiting rescissions.
Sec. 213. Insurance rating rules.
Sec. 214. Nondiscrimination in benefits; parity in mental health and substance abuse disorder benefits.
Sec. 215. Ensuring adequacy of provider networks.
Sec. 216. Requiring the option of extension of dependent coverage for uninsured young adults.
Sec. 217. Consistency of costs and coverage under qualified health benefits plans during plan year.
I searched the bill for the phrase "mental health" - 102 hits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies