Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Her husband is very tied into the unions. From where I'm sitting it appears that Hoffman is doing a lot more work on this campaign unless Owens is sticking mostly with the other end of the district.
Her husband's ties to the unions is the very reason she was so strong for card check. I can't believe that anybody who claims to be Republican would be in favor of Card Check.

I think from what I have heard that Hoffman is working very hard on this thing and the Republicans who came out for him just couldn't stand to see Scozzafava win and then vote with the Dems about labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 07:59 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
Owens actually lives in the eastern part of the district. I'm all the way on the other end of it and haven't seen or heard much of him. The district covers eleven counties and is huge. Plattsburg and Oswego are near to each other population wise so if he can win Plattsburg where he lives and Watertown which is the largest concentrated body of people and dominated by Fort Drum that would give him his best chance.

I don't watch the local tv so I don't see those ads and he has practically nothing on Youtube. Here's a Watertown site run by the mayor there Watertown NY Breaking News | Newzjunky ® | Fort Drum | Watertown New York | Newz, News, Obituaries, Weather, Homes Apartments Auto North Country Thousand Islands Newspaper Lowville Carthage Ogdensburg for more coverage. My bet is that Hoffman will win. He seems to want it a lot more.

I agree about the card check legislation. Pretty unAmerican to vote away a secret ballot when the unions can pressure your vote.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:02 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Well well well, it llooks like the people waking up and demanding no more liberal RINOs has got the left wingers running scared. I LOVE IT! Hopefully we will get rid of all these snakes-in-the-grass!

Old 11-01-2009, 08:15 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
There's a video on Youtube where Owens is getting balled out by a senior citizen for not showing up twice for one of their shindigs when he was promised to be there. They waited around and he never came. He's going to blow it just as Dede did.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:40 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Well well well, it llooks like the people waking up and demanding no more liberal RINOs has got the left wingers running scared. I LOVE IT! Hopefully we will get rid of all these snakes-in-the-grass!
I sincerely hope you do also. Run anyone who shows moderate tendencies or hints of RINOism out of the party. It should be total political purity of what's left of the republican party. Don't forget Florida or Maine. Lots of liberals calling themselves republicans that need to be removed. Get Palin on it.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:02 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I sincerely hope you do also. Run anyone who shows moderate tendencies or hints of RINOism out of the party. It should be total political purity of what's left of the republican party. Don't forget Florida or Maine. Lots of liberals calling themselves republicans that need to be removed. Get Palin on it.
I know, right? Do they really not understand the consequences of making their tent so small that only say, 20% of the people will want to be there?

Old 11-01-2009, 10:08 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Wrong, the REP are doing exactly what they should, if a member does not stand for the conservative values then we need to get rid of them.

Just to prove you wrong the idiot who got tossed voted with the dems the majority of the time and was NOT conservative at all and was a party troll for the left wingers.

We need to get back to true conservatism the way it was under Ronald Reagan and start cleaning house and kicking dems butts once again.

With a huge majority of people being conservative minded in this country and this disaster administration and congress it should not be a problem to kick some dem butt and take back America.

The Op must be worried because the GOP is far from sinking, in fact it is growing fast and picking up steam as the libs rip apart America.

Thanks to ObamAcorn the GOP is RISING fast!

Old 11-01-2009, 10:30 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Wrong, the REP are doing exactly what they should, if a member does not stand for the conservative values then we need to get rid of them.

Just to prove you wrong the idiot who got tossed voted with the dems the majority of the time and was NOT conservative at all and was a party troll for the left wingers.

We need to get back to true conservatism the way it was under Ronald Reagan and start cleaning house and kicking dems butts once again.

With a huge majority of people being conservative minded in this country and this disaster administration and congress it should not be a problem to kick some dem butt and take back America.

The Op must be worried because the GOP is far from sinking, in fact it is growing fast and picking up steam as the libs rip apart America.

It was actually a mix that got tossed out. A reason why many of the more liberal Republicans lost is because they tended to represent moderate and liberal districts and had a letter next to their name on the ballot which the people of those districts wouldn't support. That letter being a R. The national Republican Party moved so far to the right the voters in these districts simply refused to support anyone with a R next to their name even if they personally liked and approved of the candidate.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:34 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Exclamation LOL...I ALMOST Got Out Of Here Without Commenting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

But that part about 'true conservatism the way it was under Reagan' snapped my head around and drove me back to my keyboard...

First of all, why is it that folks still hang onto the utterly tired-out belief that everyone who DOESN'T buy into their 'Leave It To Beaver' version of America
is some kind of evil left-winger or even (gasp!) a LIBERAL? Surely you can do better than that...

And secondly, making up silly nicknames about the President is so yesterday too...I said it once, and I'll say it again---if you don't have any alternative ideas or solutions, that don't involve name-calling, red-faced screaming, or general knot-headedness, then STEP ASIDE, and let those in both the GOP and the Democratic Party who actually want to act like adults and discuss the issues move to the forefront...

I get so damned tired of all this 'let's take the country back' nonsense...it's my country too, the last time I looked, and that just seems to be code, to me, for one group of folks trying to tell everybody else what they can do, how they should live, etc... I'm not having ANY of that, and there are a LOT of folks out here who think exactly the same way I do...

Old 11-01-2009, 11:18 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
To take my point a step further that it wasn't just moderate Republicans who lost, and the moderate Republicans that did lose were from Dem districts. Lets take a look at the 15 seats the Dems picked up in which the Republican ran for re-election.

1. CO-4 Musgrave. Very conservative who lost in a district that went narrowly for McCain

2. CT-4 Shays. Moderate to liberal Republican in a heavily Democratic district won by Obama 60-40

3. FL-8 Kelley. Conservative Republican who lost to Grayson in a district won by Obama 53-47

4 FL 24 Feeney- Very conservative, lost in a district narrowly won by McCain

5. ID-1 Sali. Very conservative lost in a very Republican district

6. MD-1 the moderate to liberal Republican Gilchrest lost to the conservative Harris in a Primary Harris lost to Kravtoli, fairly strong McCain district

7. MI-7 Walberg Very conservative lost in a district Obama won by 6

8. MI-9 Knollenberg. Fairly conservative, though not as far right as Walberg, but also represented a more liberal district. Obama on it by 13

9. NV-3 Porter. Moderate Republican lost in a district Obama won by 12

10. NY-29 Kuhl. Fairly conservative Republican, lost in a district McCain carried narrowly

11. NC-8 Hayes. Was a conservative Republican though became more moderate. Went from the "Freedom fries" guy to being against the Iraq war. Obama won the district by 6

12 OH-1 Chabot. Very conservative Republican lost in a district Obama won by 11

13. English PA-3 Moderate Republican lost in a district which Obama and McCain virtually tied in

14. VA-2 Drake Conservative Republican lost in a district narrowly carried by Obama

15 VA-5 Goode. Very conservative Republican lost in a district narrowly won by McCain

So actually out of the 15 Republicans incumbents who were defeated resulting in Dem gains, most were conservative, and only one of the moderates who lost came from a marginal district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies