Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 03:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

It's not surprising, then, that there's an intense debate over which model is more admirable and sustainable. What is surprising is the growing evidence that the low-benefit/low-tax package not only succeeds on its own terms but also according to the criteria used to defend its opposite. In other words, the superior public goods that supposedly justify the high taxes just aren't being delivered.

The Golden State isn't worth it -- latimes.com

It's too bad we can't combine social libertarianism with economic libertarianism in this country. Neither major party offers both. You either get social liberalism AND economic liberalism from Democrats, or social conservatism along with economic conservatism from Republicans.

I was registered as a Libertarian for awhile, but it felt pointless, so I ended up going back to the Democrats because my liberal social views were more important to me than my desire for economic freedom. Sad that it has to be that way, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 03:41 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times
The story here is not the story but that it ran in the LA Times.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:52 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
The story here is not the story but that it ran in the LA Times.
I knew some conservatives would be thinking that. If they ever read the L.A. Times, however, they'd know that the Times does print conservative columnists and opinion pieces on a regular basis. Jonah Goldberg is one of them (unfortunately) - he usually drives me nuts with his opinions.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:56 PM

432 posts, read 605,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Neither major party offers both. You either get social liberalism AND economic liberalism from Democrats, or social conservatism along with economic conservatism from Republicans.

I'm pretty sure it was by design...

They didn't want people having too much freedom all at once.. always wanted to keep them pissed off one way or another..

The republican party however, was economic liberal last 7 years and social conservative... So pretty much, that's why they had a 22% approval rating..

Old 11-01-2009, 06:17 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
I'm pretty sure it was by design...

They didn't want people having too much freedom all at once.. always wanted to keep them pissed off one way or another..

The republican party however, was economic liberal last 7 years and social conservative... So pretty much, that's why they had a 22% approval rating..
Are you talking about the republicans in CA, or nationwide?

The reason why I ask is because Congress, where the Democrats have a huge majority, their approval rate is the lowest it has ever been. Is it possible that approval rates are just localized, and not nationwide? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies