Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 09:29 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
When whites become a minority in America, I highly doubt that we will run off back to Europe or form our own republics. I can totally foresee America becoming something similar to Brazil, though. The future of America will be much more segregated.

I grew up in majority Hispanic and Haitian schools (Southwest Florida). My mother thought it would be good for me to experience diversity. I have a half brother who is Hispanic after all. I love my brother will all my heart and soul, and I have many black and hispanic friends, but I'll be damned before I send my kids to a school that is majority Hispanic or Black. Being the only blonde blued eyed kid in my classes was not easy for me. My social life suffered a lot because of how much racism I received.

And please, don't someone respond with, "well, most Hispanics are White". I completely laugh whenever someone posts that. As I said, I grew up in schools where 70% of the kids attending were Hispanic, and I know for a fact that the vast majority of Hispanics are not White. From what I saw, at most 15% had a euro appearance, and those were mostly Cubans.
True, the vast majority of Hispanics are not white........but I have a question....is your experience as a minority in a minority environment any different from that of actual minorities in this society in general? White people I knew always used to be scared to be in an environment where most people were nonwhite. They thought they'd be uncomfortable. But nonwhites go through that every day. Do white folks ever think of that?

Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
True, the vast majority of Hispanics are not white........but I have a question....is your experience as a minority in a minority environment any different from that of actual minorities in this society in general? White people I knew always used to be scared to be in an environment where most people were nonwhite. They thought they'd be uncomfortable. But nonwhites go through that every day. Do white folks ever think of that?
I wouldn't say that nonwhites go thru the being scared every day, I guess maybe some are, but most wouldnt be.

I can also say though, that being white in an area that is nonwhite isn't something that I am worried, scared, or bothered by. I am the .01% in my neighborhood.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM

220 posts, read 381,696 times
I just thought I'd bump my response to the OP since it was quickly buried in yesterday's back-and-forth.

Quote:
Actually, there's an interesting point to be made here that merits national discussion.

What the OP is implicitly pointing out is that America is on a path to becoming a completely different country (in terms of its population makeup). If current trends continue to persist through this century then it would be reasonable to say that America has been undergoing a form of population replacement since the passage of the INA in 1965.

The problem with this trend is that country's never undergo a process of population replacement peacefully. Never. And there's no reason to think that America will be the exception.

Of course, one could respond that nothing all that serious has yet to happen in any of America's post-1965 immigration hot spots (like California, Texas, Florida, et cetera). My answer would be that the rest of the U.S. has been serving as a safety valve for many of these kinds of problems in recent years. An as an example, if you're a White Californian who doesn't like the changing culture nor the prospect of living as a minority in Mexifornia, it's much easier to just pack up and move to some other state (like Utah or Oregon) than it is to organize like-minded peoples and deport the newcomers (especially in this political environment).

However, contrary to what the liberals would like to believe, the U.S. can't act as a safety valve for its immigration hot spots forever. At some point people will run out of places that they can move to and decide to make a stand for their culture and tribe, this has yet to happen to White Americans but when it does that will be when the real problems begin.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:01 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAaron View Post
So, what is your thread about now? Whites or Europeans or Caucasians? Arabs for instance are considered whites. As far as I know Caucasian is just another term for White in the US.

^ In my nation White means European, Does an Arab look like a German? they are not of the same race!
What about White Latinos?

This has always been a nation of minorities. Before the Irish and Italians were considered "white" they were also minorities that were looked down upon.

The lower class of Americans are always threatened by immigrants because the immigrants are usually smarter, harder working and less greedy and therefore are a threat to their way of life. Those of us in the higher socio-economic classes don't see immigrants or the changing landscape of America as a threat, but rather a sign of changing times. I look forward to living in post-racial America, but that's probably not going to be until I'm on my deathbed.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:01 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
As you may not be aware, being from "Scotland" and all, Prince Georges County is FAR from wealthy. Some of the poorest neighborhoods in the DC area exist there. Granted, there are wealthy areas, but PG is well known as a place to avoid.

The wealthiest Black majority county is a place to avoid? tut tut racist

Im only young so forgive my spelling

If you are so educated though, why do you seem to be on this and not working?
The crime rate does not exist in those wealthy areas. It exists because, mixed in with the wealth, is a whole lotta poverty. In the end, if there's even ONE black person in the world who has not committed a crime and ONE white person who has, your argument fails.

You are contending that black people are more violent and crime-prone than race based on their race and no socio-economic factors. The fact that I personally know many black people who have never committed a crime, are highly educated, and successful means that your argument fails on its premise.

I just really hope when you grow up you won't be someone who spent his life dividing humanity. Everything pushes toward unity eventually.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:08 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
I can't wait until I can claim my minority privileges!! And my soon-to-be-cherished victimhood status!!
Right wing talk radio and Fox News have been giving it to you since years. All you gotta do is jump aboard their "we whites guys are always the victims" bandwagon.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:32 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I think of that quite often actually. As I stated in my prior comment, I have a brother who is half Hispanic. Despite having an blonde blue eyed mother, he doesn't look White at all. For some reason, he never, ever bonded with the white side of his family. He comes to the gatherings on holidays, but he always brings his best friend (who is Mexican) with him and he always leaves early. My family has debated over and over why he isn't very connected with us because we have always showered him with a loving environment. The only conclusion we can agree on is that its because he doesn't look like any of us. Its very sad actually, especially for my mother.

Ultimately, my brother feels more comfortable around people who look like him. All of his friends are Hispanic. I can't say I feel much different. You are right, and I am sure that most minorities do feel uncomfortable being within a society that is largely not like them. This is why most racial groups stick together.

So, if race can create barriors like this within families, what makes people think that race won't create barriors within society at large? This is why I think America will end up being like Brazil, or Mexico, with the White minorities living the good life in segregated communities shielded away from all the other people in their countries.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I wouldn't say that nonwhites go thru the being scared every day, I guess maybe some are, but most wouldnt be.

I can also say though, that being white in an area that is nonwhite isn't something that I am worried, scared, or bothered by. I am the .01% in my neighborhood.

I don't mean scared as much as uncomfortable. If you are a minority in America, you will always be the "other." A white guy can go somewhere and feel comfortable. We can't.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I think of that quite often actually. As I stated in my prior comment, I have a brother who is half Hispanic. Despite having an blonde blue eyed mother, he doesn't look White at all. For some reason, he never, ever bonded with the white side of his family. He comes to the gatherings on holidays, but he always brings his best friend (who is Mexican) with him and he always leaves early. My family has debated over and over why he isn't very connected with us because we have always showered him with a loving environment. The only conclusion we can agree on is that its because he doesn't look like any of us. Its very sad actually, especially for my mother.

Ultimately, my brother feels more comfortable around people who look like him. All of his friends are Hispanic. I can't say I feel much different. You are right, and I am sure that most minorities do feel uncomfortable being within a society that is largely not like them. This is why most racial groups stick together.

So, if race can create barriors like this within families, what makes people think that race won't create barriors within society at large? This is why I think America will end up being like Brazil, or Mexico, with the White minorities living the good life in segregated communities shielded away from all the other people in their countries.
Yes, and I see a transfer of wealth in the past two decades post-Reagan that has accelerated the Brazilianization of America. The rich have gained a huge advantage in the proportion of the wealth they have, the middle class is smaller and poorer, and more Americans are impoverished. Yes, I see the economic model of America being much more like Brazil than ever before.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
When Whites become the minority in the United States, do you think certain white states will start to leave, the union?

In 2040 it is estimated that Whites will be the minority in the United States, this wont be in every state of course, certain areas such as Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Iowa, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Tennessee, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, Utah etc will still be majority White.

Do you think people in these states will get scared about being the minority and leave and form their own Republics?

This is an un-PC discusion about race in America, you may not like it but the fact is that most people not matter what their race do not like the idea of being a minority and they may get scared of that idea?
I think you are right on, but maybe not go so far as to form their own republics.
I would not want to be a minority and I don't know anybody who does. Here in Memphis White people are leaving the majority black city for the whiter suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies