Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:51 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Health care has to cover the effects/illnesses of drug use and abuse, STDs and AIDS. Many people do not put themselves at risk with these behaviors so insurance stop paying for them. I don't want to pay for injuries cause by skydiving, mountain climbing, skiing or any other dangerous sport.

Actually why are we even responding to the baby hating left?

That's an insult to the left. If the left hates babies, the right hates children once they're born. Why else would we be having this debate over universal healthcare to begin with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 AM

433 posts, read 460,001 times
I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoTex View Post
I would make an exception for birth control (preventative vaccine?) and ED drugs (an actual illness or injury).

Dano
And your bias zooms in on ED!:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Of course a guy would make an exception for ED drugs, but not delivery, the results of such drugs! I wish we had a "hypocrite" icon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
lol..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Absolutely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
If this isn't the heighth of hypocrisy it sure must be almost near the top..
No hypocrisy on my part- I made no comment on delivery. My response was to the first paragraph with my point being that the two issues were equivalent because one was a preventative measure comparable to vaccination and the other was treatment for an existing MEDICAL CONDITION. Both are about folks being able to enjoy an intimate relationship with someone they love without fear (of pregnancy) or inability (because of an existing MEDICAL CONDITION). If birth control is available then pregnancy is a choice or an accident- buy a rider to cover it.

Quite simply ya'll are quite simple to not see the difference. Perhaps a reading comprehension course would help?

The hypocrisy is on your part - by plugging in a typical feminist bias about ED.

Dano

Old 11-03-2009, 06:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Oh, give us a break! That's a rather "elective" part of life!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, give us a break! That's a rather "elective" part of life!
I haven't a clue as to what your point is. Please elaborate.

Dano

Old 11-03-2009, 07:08 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leather Jacket View Post
Health insurance was meant to cover unforeseen accidents and illnesses. Most pregnancies are planned in this country, and even when they occur accidentally, an abortion is cheaply available and if they chose not to, they can at least predict the birth of the child months in advance.

Yet, we still fund a planned, predictable childbirth the same way we pay as if we accidentally skidded off the road, crashed our car and broken every bone in our body; with an insurance claim.

Is it fair? Is it right to make people who chose not to, or are unable to, bare children pay for those who do? Should insurance stop paying for pregnancies and childbirth? And might doing so make insurance cheaper (by passing on the savings in NOT paying for childbirth) to the consumer?
I'm not sure I understand how the birth of my child - paid for by my health insurance premiums and those of my employer - is somehow a cost to those who either cannot have or choose not to have children. But if somehow it IS a cost to others, so too is your crashing your car and breaking every bone in your body a cost to others, even those who do not own a car.

But perhaps more to the point, when I married, I changed my health insurance policy from "self" to "family." My wife was covered, and as soon as our child was conceived, he was covered as well. Why shouldn't a member of my family be covered by my "family" health insurance policy ... unless you feel that life doesn't begin until birth?

Old 11-03-2009, 12:29 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,206,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I'm not sure I understand how the birth of my child - paid for by my health insurance premiums and those of my employer - is somehow a cost to those who either cannot have or choose not to have children. But if somehow it IS a cost to others, so too is your crashing your car and breaking every bone in your body a cost to others, even those who do not own a car.

But perhaps more to the point, when I married, I changed my health insurance policy from "self" to "family." My wife was covered, and as soon as our child was conceived, he was covered as well. Why shouldn't a member of my family be covered by my "family" health insurance policy ... unless you feel that life doesn't begin until birth?
Excellent points. My husband and I pay for our health insurance through our companies, quite a bit of money every month, with no complaints. Considering we are healthy individuals, we are certainly not "reaping the benefits" of what we pay in - and that's fine, the point of insurance is that you pay in, and eventually it just might save you from a mountain of emergency treatment bills.

My pregnancy was planned. It is covered 100% by my insurance with the exception of one $35 co-pay - including diagnostic tests such as the NT scan, CF test, etc. However, my insurance company will also happily charge me almost $300 more a month once my son is born for the next 18-21 years of his life - everything balances out.

Either way, I don't even know how people can pretty much justify saying, "Life is so much more expensive than death, abortions are cheaper..." well heck, we don't need ANY health care then, do we?

Old 11-03-2009, 12:48 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
No hypocrisy on my part- I made no comment on delivery. My response was to the first paragraph with my point being that the two issues were equivalent because one was a preventative measure comparable to vaccination and the other was treatment for an existing MEDICAL CONDITION. Both are about folks being able to enjoy an intimate relationship with someone they love without fear (of pregnancy) or inability (because of an existing MEDICAL CONDITION). If birth control is available then pregnancy is a choice or an accident- buy a rider to cover it.

Quite simply ya'll are quite simple to not see the difference. Perhaps a reading comprehension course would help?

The hypocrisy is on your part - by plugging in a typical feminist bias about ED.

Dano
What, exactly, is the existing MEDICAL CONDITION??

Old 11-03-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
What, exactly, is the existing MEDICAL CONDITION??
Is this actually a serious question?
If so I find it amazing that you should ask rather than simply google it!

Google

I'll save you the trip though:
A few physical causes of ED- Note there are also psych causes.
  • Diabetes (high blood sugar)
  • Hypertension (high blood pressure)
  • Atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)
  • Brain or spinal-cord injuries
  • Hypogonadism (which leads to lower testosterone levels)
  • Liver or kidney failure
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Parkinson's disease
  • Radiation therapy to the testicles
  • Stroke
  • Some types of prostate or bladder surgery

Does that answer your question?

Dano

Old 11-03-2009, 08:39 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Is this actually a serious question?
If so I find it amazing that you should ask rather than simply google it!

Google

I'll save you the trip though:
A few physical causes of ED- Note there are also psych causes.
  • Diabetes (high blood sugar)
  • Hypertension (high blood pressure)
  • Atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)
  • Brain or spinal-cord injuries
  • Hypogonadism (which leads to lower testosterone levels)
  • Liver or kidney failure
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Parkinson's disease
  • Radiation therapy to the testicles
  • Stroke
  • Some types of prostate or bladder surgery

Does that answer your question?

Dano
I read your OP as an assertion that ED was itself a medical condition for all men who take ED meds. We both know that is not true.
Quote:
the other was treatment for an existing MEDICAL CONDITION. Both are about folks being able to enjoy an intimate relationship with someone they love without fear (of pregnancy) or inability (because of an existing MEDICAL CONDITION).
So, you would agree that the thousands of men who take ED meds for vanity reasons (they just can't do it as often or for as long) or as a matter of convenience (pop a pill to get it up on demand) should not have their "condition" covered by insurance?

Old 11-03-2009, 08:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Leather Jacket View Post
Health insurance was meant to cover unforeseen accidents and illnesses. Most pregnancies are planned in this country, and even when they occur accidentally, an abortion is cheaply available and if they chose not to, they can atleast predict the birth of the child months in advance.

Yet, we still fund a planned, predictable childbirth the same way we pay as if we accidentally skidded off the road, crashed our car and broken every bone in our body; with an insurance claim.

Is it fair? Is it right to make people who chose not to, or are unable to, bare children pay for those who do? Should insurance stop paying for pregnancies and childbirth? And might doing so make insurance cheaper (by passing on the savings in NOT paying for childbirth) to the consumer?
you can't be serious. The US already has a higher infant mortality rate than it should. Atlanta health, diet and fitness news*| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/health/content/shared-auto/healthnews/cdc-/632726.html - broken link)

Your suggestion would only mean fewer women would seek prenatal care, and the stats would be worse. Do you have a link to a stat that "most" pregnancies are planned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies