Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I dont think CIT was nearly as deep in the hole as GM was, though havent looked it up.
Cit was in the hole more than GM..

CIT had $31B in bonds coming due, GM had a total outstanding $27.5B, and Ford who was left hanging on their own had even more debt.

CIT will go through the standard bankruptcy, reorganize, and come back stronger, thats the way it works. CIT just received their bailout months ago to "save them from bankruptcy".. They should have just stopped prolonging the agony and filed it previously..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 06:31 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Small businesses indeed need "credit", especially this time of year when they have to buyup more products for their shelves to sell over the holiday season..

Sure there are other banks, but do you know any of them loaning right now?
Well that's the freakin' problem in my estimation. Credit NEEDS to tighten so prices can collapse and allow the sickness of excess to be purged from the system. Savers need to enjoy the fruits of their sacrifice. When the Fed finally gets it through their thick skull they cannot force people to lend and allow interest rates to increase to a true market rate, these smaller banks can begin lending again without having one hand tied behind their back. Monetary policy should follow what the little guys are doing, not the big guys. The former is a much better gauge on whether businesses are lending or borrowing.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:34 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,288 times
Quote:
Because they DIDNT get a bailout, they were forced to deal with their losses and face them headon rather than just taking money to "get through" the tough times.

When you cut your costs the outcome is PROFITS.. When you get "bailed out", you are not forced to make tough decisions..

Thought this was clear by now..
Not entirely true.

The saying goes if Ford did indeed need a bailout, it would of been the end for Chrysler. So they wanted to take a bailout but felt it was better to help one of their domestic competitors. (it had to do with parts supply, mainly)

Ford basically asked for a line-of-credit just in case (not sure if they actually used that line or not; maybe so) and put up lots of collateral to get things going.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:35 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

Ford did not want to risk losing "Ford" control of the company. The others took the risk and lost it (the control)

Old 11-02-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Well that's the freakin' problem in my estimation. Credit NEEDS to tighten so prices can collapse and allow the sickness of excess to be purged from the system. Savers need to enjoy the fruits of their sacrifice. When the Fed finally gets it through their thick skull they cannot force people to lend and allow interest rates to increase to a true market rate, these smaller banks can begin lending again without having one hand tied behind their back. Monetary policy should follow what the little guys are doing, not the big guys. The former is a much better gauge on whether businesses are lending or borrowing.
So if we stop giving out credit, how do you suppose you'll be able to buy gas, since gas is sold to the gas stations on credit, how about stores, do you think stores have TENS of billions in cash to buy products to sit on until the holiday season comes around? How in the world do you expect companies to come up with the trillions in cash needed to keep their businesses going?

When is the last time you bought a home, or even a car for cash? Some of us can do so but I couldnt do it without putting credit into other ventures.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:37 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
To avoid what, the filing of bankruptcy that was filed anyways?
Believe me, I am not a fan of bail-outs. But CIT filed for bankruptcy protection. They are not liquidating....yet.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Not entirely true.

The saying goes if Ford did indeed need a bailout, it would of been the end for Chrysler. So they wanted to take a bailout but felt it was better to help one of their domestic competitors. (it had to do with parts supply, mainly)

Ford basically asked for a line-of-credit just in case (not sure if they actually used that line or not; maybe so) and put up lots of collateral to get things going.
Not true, if Ford needed a bailout, they simply would have borrowed a few billion more to loan it to everyone. Its not like the Government is practicing sound fiscal policy

Old 11-02-2009, 06:40 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
So if we stop giving out credit, how do you suppose you'll be able to buy gas, since gas is sold to the gas stations on credit, how about stores, do you think stores have TENS of billions in cash to buy products to sit on until the holiday season comes around? How in the world do you expect companies to come up with the trillions in cash needed to keep their businesses going?

When is the last time you bought a home, or even a car for cash? Some of us can do so but I couldnt do it without putting credit into other ventures.
Credit markets would not seize up entirely. Credit would be offered by a local CU @ 20% interest or whatever the prevailing market rate is, based on acceptable risk to the lender. Unfortunately, that's just the cost of lending money nowadays. I thought you were more free market oriented? If you are suggesting credit continue to flow from whatever government TARP program or whatever, that artificially reduces the prevailing market interest rate and distorts the credit market. Also, peer to peer lending would explode as many savers would be more than satisfied to lend @ 30-50% interest. It's pay now or pay dearly later.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Believe me, I am not a fan of bail-outs. But CIT filed for bankruptcy protection. They are not liquidating....yet.
Yeah I know, but bankruptcy is bankruptcy.. (up to last week I held 200,000 shares of CIT untill I talked to Icahns office to get clarification on the bk offerings).. I'm VERY familiar with this company.

p.s. their stock is down 50% this morning so tell the investors that its not liquidating.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Credit markets would not seize up entirely. Credit would be offered by a local CU @ 20% interest or whatever the prevailing market rate is, based on acceptable risk to the lender. Unfortunately, that's just the cost of lending money nowadays. I thought you were more free market oriented? If you are suggesting credit continue to flow from whatever government TARP program or whatever, that artificially reduces the prevailing market interest rate and distorts the credit market. Also, peer to peer lending would explode as many savers would be more than satisfied to lend @ 30-50% interest. It's pay now or pay dearly later.
What? You think we have to much credit and your solution is to offer credit, at a MUCH higher rate? You must LOVE seeing companies file bk..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies