Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,055 times

Advertisements

It's not against the law to call people names. When someone uses a racial slur or a slur against someone's sexuality, religion, sex, intellectual capabilities they only expose themselves to be tactless.

You're not a homophobe if you use the F word, you're not necessarily a racist if you use the N word, you're not a misogynist if you call a female the B word, and you're certainly not equating yourself with Einstein when you call someone a moron.

They're just words. Let's get over it.

These words only carry weight if you are sensitive to them and you put value in the definition of that word, if you don't care what word someone uses it won't even bother you. If someone called you a tree would it mean anything?

Old 11-04-2009, 11:49 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's not against the law to call people names. When someone uses a racial slur or a slur against someone's sexuality, religion, sex, intellectual capabilities they only expose themselves to be tactless.

You're not a homophobe if you use the F word, you're not necessarily a racist if you use the N word, you're not a misogynist if you call a female the B word, and you're certainly not equating yourself with Einstein when you call someone a moron.

They're just words. Let's get over it.

These words only carry weight if you are sensitive to them and you put value in the definition of that word, if you don't care what word someone uses it won't even bother you. If someone called you a tree would it mean anything?
Well most of us older folk remember being taught the basic truth.when we were little kids,"sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me", the truth of the matter is , the truth hurts! When I was a boy, calling another kid a, "f a g" was a big insult to say the least, so we acted accordingly to avoid it. Well now in this pc day and age , the homosexuals decided we dont want to act accordingly, so we are going to make it a grave offense if you call us what we consider a derogatory name!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:56 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well most of us older folk remember being taught the basic truth.when we were little kids,"sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me", the truth of the matter is , the truth hurts! When I was a boy, calling another kid a, "f a g" was a big insult to say the least, so we acted accordingly to avoid it. Well now in this pc day and age , the homosexuals decided we dont want to act accordingly, so we are going to make it a grave offense if you call us what we consider a derogatory name!
This post doesn't even make sense. You just told a story saying when you were a kid, calling another kid the "f" word was considered an insult & you would avoid it. Then you turn around & whine about how gays consider that word an insult. Where are you even coming from?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
This post doesn't even make sense. You just told a story saying when you were a kid, calling another kid the "f" word was considered an insult & you would avoid it. Then you turn around & whine about how gays consider that word an insult. Where are you even coming from?
You left out the most important part of that sentence...(so we acted accordingly to avoid it). I am not whining about how gays consider it an insult, what this thread is about is the fact that now because homosexuals feel insulted, people can actually get fired or worse, for "calling names". Life is life, you are going to be insulted at some point and when you identify yourself by your sexual behavior, you are putting yourself out there to be called names. People use terms like macho, redneck etc.. in semi derogatory fashion towards me at times because of the way I dress, look, behave, vehicles I drive, etc. Oh well, thats who I am and ok with that. I AM a redneck and I dont care what they mean by it.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
You left out the most important part of that sentence...(so we acted accordingly to avoid it). I am not whining about how gays consider it an insult, what this thread is about is the fact that now because homosexuals feel insulted, people can actually get fired or worse, for "calling names". Life is life, you are going to be insulted at some point and when you identify yourself by your sexual behavior, you are putting yourself out there to be called names. People use terms like macho, redneck etc.. in semi derogatory fashion towards me at times because of the way I dress, look, behave, vehicles I drive, etc. Oh well, thats who I am and ok with that. I AM a redneck and I dont care what they mean by it.
I didn't forget about that part, it explains exactly what I said in my post. And did you know that homosexuals can be fired just like that simply because they're gay? Poor you, it must be beyond difficult to keep that mouth shut, hey?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times
Booooooo hooooooooo the conservatives are getting challenged in their belief system....boo hooo lets all please love Jesus Christ

Quote:

Old 11-04-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
lets all please love Jesus Christ
agreed,that would be a great place for you to start .

Last edited by silas777; 11-04-2009 at 06:30 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times
Here's your opportunity: I am a homosexual, and you may call me a name. Go for it.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Here's your opportunity: I am a homosexual, and you may call me a name. Go for it.
Hello Fabulous, my name is Fantastimo, lovely to meet you.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:25 PM

757 posts, read 802,813 times
Quote:
Agreed , however we have gotten so hypersensitive and PC it is ridiculous, I posted another thread regarding Bob Griese,getting suspended for saying juan pablo montoya went out to get a taco! Its BS, homosexuals need to grow up and take it like a man(no pun intended).
I bet you're a tea bagger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies