Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:12 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

Yo momma. j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I wasn't saying "we" as in "we gays"; I meant it as "we Americans".

Man - talk about hypersensitive.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:13 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
I don't understand what you are upset over. Someone can't make a pig headed comment without being held accountable for their comments?? That is what you are complaining about here....

Old 11-02-2009, 10:35 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
You can say any slur in the world legally...that does not mean your employer has to tolerate you doing it...They are your employer and as such they can set expectations for you if you want to keep your job. At one place I worked an employee was fired for making slurs about women to customers. The boss did not want that person representing their company so they fired him much in the same way the chiefs do not want people who make gay slurs unapologetically to represent them.

Why is it so hard to understand the fact that while you can say anything, your employer has just as much right to demand that an apology be issued as to insure that you, their representative, does not sully their reputation against their interests?
Agreed. With freedom of speech comes responsibility. If you are speaking in a capacity where you are representing your employer, they have the right to censor, discipline and/or fire you at will for careless speech.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Why can't you call a homosexual a name?

Tell me WHY you would even want to call ANYONE a name like that to intentionally hurt them?

I am all for freedom of speech but I am also for respect. You don't have to accept or agree with the homosexuals but they are people too who deserve respect. Simple as that.
Totally agree. Although I have been vocal regarding my opinions about the gay lifestyle, I would never resort to name calling or other attacks as that just ruins a person's credibility and demonstrates a lack of respect. Homosexuals are human beings first and should be respected as such. The sexual choices they make are secondary to their basic rights to be treated with common human decency.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What is the gay lifestyle? Get it through your head that there is NO gay lifestyle. Why are you so inflexible? We have told you again and again that there is no gay lifestyle. If you mean gay men dating other gay men....then that is not a lifestyle, that is a social activity. Get it through your head.
The social activities folks choose to engage in are part of their lifestyle.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think it would depend on how it's interpreted by those who hear the comment. I guess someone could call it harassment if they wanted to. I do know that the laws vary from state to state, and most states don't protect people from being fired based on sexual orientation, so a lawsuit probably wouldn't amount to much in most places.

In general, though, I think it would be unwise and imprudent to refer to an employee as a "q u e e r".
It could be contrued as harassment if the employer continues to call someone a derogatory name as it creates a hostile work environment.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
It could be contrued as harassment if the employer continues to call someone a derogatory name as it creates a hostile work environment.
You're right. I confused the issue of harassment with the issue of being protected from discrimination based on sexual orientation. Harassment is harassment.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:00 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Totally agree. Although I have been vocal regarding my opinions about the gay lifestyle, I would never resort to name calling or other attacks as that just ruins a person's credibility and demonstrates a lack of respect. Homosexuals are human beings first and should be respected as such. The sexual choices they make are secondary to their basic rights to be treated with common human decency.
Did you make the sexual choice to be straight? The only sexual choice anyone has is to have sex or not have sex. Sexual orientation is not a choice.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,423 times
Why cant you call a homosexual a name....................

You can, but then the C-D censors come along and delete it.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:08 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Why cant you call a homosexual a name....................

You can, but then the C-D censors come along and delete it.
Do you have personal experience with this, G?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies