Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Oh yeah!

Sorry.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say with all of the "video clips".. Are you attempting to pretend that I claimed Bush didnt take part in "propaganda"? I said ALL presidents,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 04:47 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Last decent president was Eisenhower.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:08 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
THE RONALD REAGAN MYTH

"Ronald Reagan must be the nicest president who ever destroyed a union, tried to cut school lunch milk rations from six to four ounces, and compelled families in need of public help to first dispose of household goods in excess of $1,000...if there is an authoritarian regime in the American future, Ronald Reagan is tailored to the image of a friendly fascist." - Robert Lekachman

THE RONALD REAGAN MYTH . . . The Progressive Review

I try to use neutral sources or even left leaning ones, like the New York Times, when I take on liberals to help give credibility to my assertions.

What you tend to do is equivalent to saying "your wrong and I'm right because a leftist rag agrees with me". Gets a little predictable and boring, not to mention your source is at odds with the facts.

Clinton signed GLBA.

Without that, Glass-Steigall never gets repealed.

Clinton signed NAFTA.

Clinton made MFNTS for China permanent.

"The facts are clear: The Clinton machine joined with K Street to manufacture the very international economic policies that are destroying the economy. And yet, this same machine now claims to have had nothing to do with those economic policies - at the very moment, the machine is pushing a NAFTA-style Colombia Free Trade Agreement in Congress."

OpEdNews - Article: White House Papers Expose Lies of Clinton, Emanuel & Gergen On NAFTA

"Speaking yesterday at the Economic Policy Institute, a liberal think tank, Cassidy noted how the promises made when the Clinton administration was promoting China's accession to the WTO have been turned on their head. "Claims were made that U.S. exports of goods to China would increase substantially," he recalled, "creating jobs in the higher-paying export sector." Instead, American manufacturers shuttered factories here and opened them in China, while China's undervaluation of its currency guaranteed that U.S. products would not be sold there."

Harold Meyerson - Second Thoughts on Trade - washingtonpost.com

Notice that I didn't use Townhall or Heritage to back up my claims. Makes for a better read that way.

CRA Amendments in the Gramm-Leach Act

Clinton Signs Bill on PNTR with China

RealClearMarkets - Articles - Weak Dollars, Weak Presidencies

Sorry, Folks, The CRA Really Did Require Crap Lending Standards

ICKY PEOPLE: Phil Gramm, Bill Clinton Key Culprits in Subprime Meltdown

YouTube - McCain's Early Recognition of Fannie/Freddie Crisis

YouTube - Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, and Democrats are Clueless on Freddie Mac Fannie Mae and the financial credit crisis.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:11 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Bull! Reagan brought about a period of 96 straight months of economic expansion. Compare that to Obama's record, so far. Nothing but destruction of our economy.

Obama is Carter II, only hundreds of times worse.

Sure. Economic expansion for the suburbs and the rich.

Hell for the rest of us.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:39 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
America hating Americans.

It is a sad sad world.... and we really have become the Idiocracy.
No, sad is when someone cannot recognize criticism of one's country. If anything, you seem to be the one who is hating America because you hate other Americans. Are we not allowed to criticize past Presidents or should we forgo the freedom of speech to put your mind at ease? I'd rather hear the truth than gloss over the bad stuff just to fulfill some sick need for American exceptionalism.

While I agree with the generalization that we are a country of idiots, it's not because these idiots are of a particular ideology, it's because they don't know how to think critically and, through very little fault of their own, they aren't given all the facts with which to make the right decisions.

Just Gimme Some Truth! -- John Lennon

Old 11-03-2009, 06:54 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Such B.S.! You obviously were not around during the Reagan years, nor the Carter years which were not even as bad as Obama. Reagan was a savior, of sorts. He brought us back to prosperity, and gave us a reason to believe in America again.
Speaking of BS................................................ .....

Old 11-03-2009, 06:58 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I try to use neutral sources or even left leaning ones, like the New York Times, when I take on liberals to help give credibility to my assertions.

What you tend to do is equivalent to saying "your wrong and I'm right because a leftist rag agrees with me". Gets a little predictable and boring, not to mention your source is at odds with the facts.

Clinton signed GLBA.

Without that, Glass-Steigall never gets repealed.

Clinton signed NAFTA.

Clinton made MFNTS for China permanent.

"The facts are clear: The Clinton machine joined with K Street to manufacture the very international economic policies that are destroying the economy. And yet, this same machine now claims to have had nothing to do with those economic policies - at the very moment, the machine is pushing a NAFTA-style Colombia Free Trade Agreement in Congress."

OpEdNews - Article: White House Papers Expose Lies of Clinton, Emanuel & Gergen On NAFTA

"Speaking yesterday at the Economic Policy Institute, a liberal think tank, Cassidy noted how the promises made when the Clinton administration was promoting China's accession to the WTO have been turned on their head. "Claims were made that U.S. exports of goods to China would increase substantially," he recalled, "creating jobs in the higher-paying export sector." Instead, American manufacturers shuttered factories here and opened them in China, while China's undervaluation of its currency guaranteed that U.S. products would not be sold there."

Harold Meyerson - Second Thoughts on Trade - washingtonpost.com

Notice that I didn't use Townhall or Heritage to back up my claims. Makes for a better read that way.

CRA Amendments in the Gramm-Leach Act

Clinton Signs Bill on PNTR with China

RealClearMarkets - Articles - Weak Dollars, Weak Presidencies

Sorry, Folks, The CRA Really Did Require Crap Lending Standards

ICKY PEOPLE: Phil Gramm, Bill Clinton Key Culprits in Subprime Meltdown

YouTube - McCain's Early Recognition of Fannie/Freddie Crisis

YouTube - Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, and Democrats are Clueless on Freddie Mac Fannie Mae and the financial credit crisis.
Here is a part of my previous post on this thread...

This is the legacy of Reaganomics, in a nutshell, the trickle down VooDoo economics of David Stockman, Milton Freidman and the Chicago School. The massive deficits that were something that Dick Cheney said "didn't matter" until just recently of course now are damaging that a Democrat is in the WH.

The deficits have always mattered. How we got to this point is the fault of Ronald Reagan's administration, aided and abetted by GHWB, Bill Clinton and made even worse by GW Bush. Congress has been totally spineless and craven to the wealthy in permitting these tax cuts.

//www.city-data.com/forum/11464022-post37.html

I did exonerate any of the Presdents that came after, but Reagan started this downward spiral.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't like your completion of Kennedy's words since they sound so much like what members of the ME generation seem to be thinking in all their selfishness. You changed the meaning of his words completely with the words by doing for yourself.
If you want to get technical, Kennedy wasn't the first to utter the phrase and he too modified it a bit. I understand General Omar Bradley said it (don't know for sure but it's what I heard). It was also written in "The New Frontier" by Gibran Khalil Gibron (1925).

If you want to get really technical, Marcus Tullius Cicero, a Roman Politician and exceptional orator may have been the first to say it. He died a little more than 2000 years ago. It was said that he actually borrowed it from a contemporary poet. You should read his work. That guy had it together.

It's not a Kennedy original. He was very well read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies