Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:05 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,393 times

Advertisements

If this wasn't so sickening, it could actually be funny. For instance:

Quote:
- $300,000 for a GPS-equipped helicopter to hunt for radioactive rabbit droppings at the Hanford nuclear reservation in Washington state.
Granted, a mere pittance in the scheme, but still, that $300K could have produced or saved how many jobs, 2, 3, 4 or more?
Quote:
- $800,000 for the John Murtha Airport in Johnstown, Pa., serving about 20 passengers per day, to built a backup runway.
Like anything with Murtha's name attached is worth something.
Quote:
- $219,000 for Syracuse University to study the sex lives of freshmen women.
Okay, who was the prevert for this theft?

Such silliness in a time when folks are hurting, jobs are going away, and the price to pay for a "new" or "saved" job is outrageous. I know, and you know the politicians attempt to "feed" their constituency to stay in office during the next scheduled election, but come on, who the hell put them in the catbird seat in the first place? Huh?

Thank God Almighty I'm retired and reasonably comfy. Some people say they would like to return to their 20s and 30s. In this day and age, hah, what a pipe dream.

Oh, here's the article, and the accompanying list. Enjoy the laughs, if you can: After a flurry of stimulus spending, questionable projects pile up | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/After-a-flurry-of-stimulus-spending_-questionable-projects-pile-up-8474249-68709732.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Im sure you can see the value of these things, even the "radioactive rabbit droppings" one. Plus they do mean jobs.

Im not defending irresponsible state spending of the stimulus money, BUT those summaries are irresponsible and misleading themselves. They're from Tom Coburn's office... well, he has to keep the agita level high, for the team.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:49 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Im sure you can see the value of these things, even the "radioactive rabbit droppings" one. Plus they do mean jobs.

Im not defending irresponsible state spending of the stimulus money, BUT those summaries are irresponsible and misleading themselves. They're from Tom Coburn's office... well, he has to keep the agita level high, for the team.
How are they irresponsible either we are spending our tax dollars on those items or we arent.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:55 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Actually, I can see the value in the radio active droppings one to know the local impact of nuclear waste as part of a larger energy agenda.

The middle one sounds kind of like stupid pork barrel, but $800,000 for an aiport serving 7,300 people a year isn't the most outrageous concept.

The last one's pretty funny. I guess it's a job for some researcher. Where do I apply?

Anyway, nothing works perfectly - especially when almost a trillion dollars in involved. If this is the worst they can come up with, then it's probably doing its job overall.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:56 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The last one's pretty funny. I guess it's a job for some researcher. Where do I apply?
Not so fast buddy, I claimed first dibs!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

Do me one favor, please NEVER stop posting here.. I would miss reading postings about how "radioactive rabbit droppings" and the value involved. This is much cheaper than the comedy channel..

Old 11-03-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Not so fast buddy, I claimed first dibs!
Well, alright. Maybe I can at least skew the results.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:00 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The middle one sounds kind of like stupid pork barrel, but $800,000 for an aiport serving 7,300 people a year isn't the most outrageous concept.
Many of those 7300 people are employees of Murthas department, and its only an hour away from the Pittsburgh International Airport and lots of other smaller airports in the area. The ONLY flights that fly from this airport go to Washington DC.

Essentially the taxpayers have spent $150,000,000 over the last 10 years on the airport that will eventually be closed once Murtha is no longer in office.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Polit...7412160&page=1

Old 11-03-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Many of those 7300 people are employees of Murthas department, and its only an hour away from the Pittsburgh International Airport and lots of other smaller airports in the area. The ONLY flights that fly from this airport go to Washington DC.

Essentially the taxpayers have spent $150,000,000 over the last 10 years on the airport that will eventually be closed once Murtha is no longer in office.

Welcome to the Airport for Nobody - ABC News
Yeah, that's pretty pork barrel. Oh, politicians...

Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Do me one favor, please NEVER stop posting here.. I would miss reading postings about how "radioactive rabbit droppings" and the value involved. This is much cheaper than the comedy channel..
Yeah, who cares.

In nuclear cleanups, not even rabbit droppings can be ignored - New York Times - Starbulletin.com

"The Hanford site, overseen by the U.S. Department of Energy.... is the focus of the nation's largest environmental cleanup, an effort that has cost tens of billions of dollars and is expected to continue for decades.
"Rabbits were not the only biological vectors contaminated by the nuclear residue. Mice and badgers also picked it up, she said, and coyotes feed on the contaminated smaller animals. "It's basically a circle-of-life situation," she said, adding that researchers have also found traces of radioactive materials in fish of the adjacent Columbia River.
"Walking through the area with radiation detectors would have taken eight months longer and cost $1 million."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies