Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:30 PM

432 posts, read 603,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post

Suicide in Japan
"Japanese society's attitude toward suicide has been termed "tolerant", and on many occasions a suicide is seen as a morally responsible action."
yea, you hit the nail on the head... they know that their is limited resources for health care, and that it must be rationed, so they support people giving up their spot in line one way or the other..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 05:34 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,314,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
yea, you hit the nail on the head... they know that their is limited resources for health care, and that it must be rationed, so they support people giving up their spot in line one way or the other..
It's also a tradition that is centuries old

Old 11-03-2009, 07:01 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,745,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
her "source" read-
"Physicians for a national health program"

That is not a source, it is biased lobbying propaganda...
Did you look at the source for the article they cited?

Probably not because you don't want to see the truth.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:40 PM

7,895 posts, read 9,083,435 times
[quote=PurpleLove08;11465594]I hate this whole "sell insurance across state lines."
That won't make a dramatic difference and it will create a race to the bottom by health insurance companies.

Try buying an individual policy in NY or NJ. It is easily twice what you pay in other states. So, for some, it will make quite a drastic difference. Also in NY, an individual cannot purchase just a catastrophic illness plan, thereby increasing the cost of having health insurance dramatically by forcing you into an overly expensive HMO or PPO that has no preexisting conditions exclusion.

I thought I heard the newest House bill does not allow individuals to purchase private insurance, they must use the govt option, even though the CBO thinks the govt option will wind up being more expensive than the private plans.

Individuals buying their own insurance just can't win either way.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,745,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post

Try buying an individual policy in NY or NJ. It is easily twice what you pay in other states. So, for some, it will make quite a drastic difference. Also in NY, an individual cannot purchase just a catastrophic illness plan, thereby increasing the cost of having health insurance dramatically by forcing you into an overly expensive HMO or PPO that has no preexisting conditions exclusion.

I thought I heard the newest House bill does not allow individuals to purchase private insurance, they must use the govt option, even though the CBO thinks the govt option will wind up being more expensive than the private plans.

Individuals buying their own insurance just can't win either way.
THINKING you heard something and actually hearing it are two different things.
Just because you hear things doesn't make it so.

Until you can show me that people will be "forced" to buy the public option....

Did you not see the report that the public option (if it survives) will cover a very small percentage of people?

Quote:
Selling insurance across state lines raises one more issue Republicans tend to ignore. Insurance companies keep costs down by using their volume-based bargaining power to make agreements with doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers to get lower rates than any individual buyer could ever achieve. But insurers operating from one state may have a difficult time, on their own, bargaining in states where they have relatively small market presence. It is unlikely that an insurer could ever get a doctor or hospital in Massachusetts to agree to the same fee schedule that is acceptable in Idaho. Even Medicare, the largest single "player" in the healthcare market, hasn't figured out a way to pay the same reimbursement rate to all health care providers across the country. It would seem like the only way for insurers to offer cheap insurance across states lines would be to offer less comprehensive and effective coverage--which, if this proposal goes through, is exactly what would happen.

State Of Denial | The New Republic

Old 11-03-2009, 08:27 PM

7,895 posts, read 9,083,435 times
[quote=PurpleLove08;11471422]THINKING you heard something and actually hearing it are two different things.
Just because you hear things doesn't make it so.

Until you can show me that people will be "forced" to buy the public option....

Did you not see the report that the public option (if it survives) will cover a very small percentage of people?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This source says its on page 94 of the bill. Sorry couldn't link directly to the pdf of the bill, but the source has a link to the bill.

Reading Guide - Pelosi Health "Reform" Bill - GOP.gov

I don't care what percentage of the people it covers, I'm concerned about my own coverage and what options will be available for me and my family. The CBO has already said that it thinks the govt option will probably be more expensive than the private plans.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:55 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,254,715 times
Just a couple good things in the bill.

NO health care for ILLEGALS!!!!!!

NO tax payer funding.

Also,

More of controlling HC cost then the dems bill. No extra created jobs to run it like the dems bill.

The two at the top are very, very important and then add in the reps want to go after anyone who overcharges for HC.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,152,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Hmm. The Dems want to extend coverage to as many Americans as possible. Why did the number of uninsured skyrocket under 8 years of Bush? What are the Reps doing about it now?

I don't know where you get your numbers......but there are more than 50 million uninsured right now.
Your question about what Republicans are doing about it now is just bordering on too uninformed to answer, but I will say that they aren't allowed to submit anything in either house because there aren't enough of them. You did know that the Democrats took over both houses in 2006 or have you been Rip Van Winkling the past few years. They just won't allow Republicans to take part any more.

When did the number grow to 50+ million. The last time Obama talked about it it had shrunk from high 40s to about 35 million. Maybe you read something that nobody else has seen. Could you show me your source of that number? I think you might look around and find that the Dems have managed to get all but about 20 million on their program and that doesn't count illegal aliens. I really think you need to study some of the more recent numbers from either party without looking at something like Daily Kos.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
The Democrat's bill is a pile of crap!
The Republican's bill is a bigger pile of crap!!
I am so sick of this crap I could crap
Not so.

The Democrat pile is 1990 pages long and that makes a much taller pile than 230 pages.

All this crap is getting tiresome but the Dems are trying too hard to get government control of health care for whatever reason. I think I know the reason but i could be wrong.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
You do realize a lot of times insurance companies will deny people insurance if they have been without it for a while?

Sometimes they make it prohibitively expensive for people with pre-existing conditions?

I say get rid of the profit motive and you'll see costs go down.

The goals of satisfying shareholders and providing good care to policyholders/customers are a diametrically opposed. You can't turn a profit and give the best care to all your customers. It's exactly why insurance companies practice recission and try to cancel policies of people who come down with expensive illnesses.

Some things just shouldn't be left up to the free market and health care is one of those things.
Are all private health insurance companies for profit companies? Let me know about the answer to that question so I can tell you the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies