Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:54 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I guess I should tell my older brother who was born in a foreign country and served for 8 years in the Air Force and was a Honor Guard overseas and carried the caskets of dead troops at Ramstein that he is not a "real American" since he wasn't born here but became a citizen while serving.
As for the fallacy that you were born on US soil makes you a real American is laughable at best. Most legal immigrants are more patriotic than those born here.
By the way unless you are a Native American Indian nobody is a "real American"!
Meb is as "American" as they come!
My husband was born in Okinawa to U.S.-born parents serving in the military. He has a State Department birth certificate and was considered a dual-citizen until he was eighteen, when he renounced his claim to Japanese citizenship in order to receive an appointment to the Air Force Academy. He's never considered himself anything other than fully American.

But, to answer your question...yes, Meb is an American. This rising tide of xenophobia in the U.S. is really starting to get on my nerves.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-09-2010 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 PM

683 posts, read 1,469,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Good immigrants (Asians, Africans, and Europeans) want to make America stronger. They want to bring aspects of their culture to us while still fully acculturating to our society.

Bad immigrants (Muslims and Hispanics) want to conquer America. Their plan is to come here, breed like rabbits, and wipe our society off the map. They believe that we are truly spineless and dumb enough to not do anything about it.

The USA was discovered by Hispanics, and the USA is not a white country. A white country is Uruguay, Argentina, Australia. The USA a white country????? What a joke.

South America received as many Europeans as north America.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:18 PM

43 posts, read 27,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
The USA was discovered by Hispanics, and the USA is not a white country. A white country is Uruguay, Argentina, Australia. The USA a white country????? What a joke.

South America received as many Europeans as north America.
Greetings,

The USA was not discovered by Hispanics. It was inhabited by Native Americans who had no knowledge of Spanish language or culture. This is also true of the Western states, which later were colonized by Spain. When Mexico lost these territories to the US, a large then Hispanic population had already settled there. Let us not forget that the original people of the US were Native Americans, not European, not Mestizo or white Mexicans and much less any other Hispanics.

As of South America receiving as many Europeans as North America, that is very true. That is why Buenos Aires and Montevideo have more European descendant denizens than Los Angeles or San Antonio, TX.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
When a nation of immigrants starts to qualify that immigrants aren't Real Americans™ you have to wonder about the nations sanity.

When more than 50% of the population of this country is foreign born only then we can be considered a nation of immigrants.

I was born here, I am not an immigrant. And neither are about 90% of my fellow citizens.

As to the topic: This guy is American, in fact he is probably a better American than half the people in this country because he more than likely actually knows the value of being an American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies