Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Some Toyota plants and Mitsubishi plants are union
Toyota has ZERO in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 09:14 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,817,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Unions are still influential in that they keep even employers with a non-union workforce honest. If workers feel they are slipping out of the middle class they can organize.
The problem is , by nature they are never satisfied and they are never getting enough, just like the democrat party, it is never enough.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:23 AM
obo

916 posts, read 985,527 times
Unions are nothing but legalized extortion and a political arm for the DNC. They are corrupt and hypocrits. I am a member of one and all they do is bully their members into whatever they want for whichever politician they want. They use the members money to support politicians without even letting the members have a say.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:44 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Yes if we do away with unions we can work 60 hours a week for less than minimum wage and compete with North Korean Slave Laborers. That will make your NeoCon Masters happy.
I've never worked for a union (nor will I), I make a nice living, and I enjoy a nice work-life balance. Millions of American's just like me exist, contrary to what your union-master's tell you as they collect their union dues from you.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:20 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,904,888 times
To a certain extent, they are good for the economy. However, if unions become bloated and greedy...then no. My dad was a part of the CTA (California Teachers Association). His union fought for better pay and better benefits. Without their fighting, many young teachers would struggle to make ends meet (student loans and all). However, unions and chapters that become greedy obviously reduce our ability to compete. So it is a toss up.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
To a certain extent, they are good for the economy. However, if unions become bloated and greedy...then no. My dad was a part of the CTA (California Teachers Association). His union fought for better pay and better benefits. Without their fighting, many young teachers would struggle to make ends meet (student loans and all). However, unions and chapters that become greedy obviously reduce our ability to compete. So it is a toss up.
With all due respect it isnt a toss up . and the real damge the teachers union has done is to our children, they are the #1 obstacle in getting real, meaningful education reform.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:29 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,904,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
With all due respect it isnt a toss up . and the real damge the teachers union has done is to our children, they are the #1 obstacle in getting real, meaningful education reform.
Yes it is, with all due respect. Sorry, but I don't like the prospect of sending kids to teachers with such a debt burden (many teacher's have a master's degree) and low wages. Do you really want a burnt out person barely making ends meet teaching over crowded classes day in and day out? The whole "children are our future" thing and all? Administrators are the biggest obstacle, not the teachers.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:10 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
The machinsit union has been living high off the hog here at Boeing, and now it looks like they overplayed their hand Boeing is moving operations to nonunion South Carolina. The union who supposedly is looking out for the working man their "brothers" , not only loses out because of their greed, but they also hurt those they claim to help. Boeing is to the puget sound region , like ford or GM are to Michigan. When Boeing is thriving the area is thriving, they are a large part of the engine that drives the economy around here. Looks like our economy just took a big hit, for a long time. South Carolinas economy is going to boom however!! Unfortunately Boeing is not an isolated or unique case, when you couple the greedy unions and the greedy government in this state it makes for a very hostile environment for business. Now I have to go and buy some real estate in Charleston!
Then Hitler was right. One of the first things he did after taking power was to abolish unions. He knew it all then, what you do now.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:14 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Toyota has ZERO in the US
Fremont. Regardless, "In the US" is key. In its home country, union exists, and does just fine.

I think union doesn't work for any oligarch, and for those who have been brainwashed into believing that their rightful place is to be a slave to the rich and resourceful. Any power in the hands of people, treating everybody equally, empowering them with equal rights is... well, makes them VERY uncomfortable.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Yes it is, with all due respect. Sorry, but I don't like the prospect of sending kids to teachers with such a debt burden (many teacher's have a master's degree) and low wages. Do you really want a burnt out person barely making ends meet teaching over crowded classes day in and day out? The whole "children are our future" thing and all? Administrators are the biggest obstacle, not the teachers.
we wont take this thread off topic and discuss the problem with education but i would be glad to in another thread. I will just say the teachers unions are some of the most powerful lobby groups in dc, and they have a choke hold on the democrat party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies