Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:20 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
There is a much larger component of this story that needs to be told. The unions coordinated a strike that put Boeing behind on it's prized new aircraft, the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The strike led to Boeing not being able to fulfill its commitments to customers on time. For those of you not familiar with aircraft financing, generally there are conditions in the purchase contracts that force Boeing to PAY THE BUYER for delays in delivery of the aircraft. Therefore, there is a huge incentive to be productive and get the job done on time. Boeing has been forced to pay its customers millions of dollars due to the union strike, so Boeing said F*CK YOU and are moving their operations to South Carolina. This is more than a labor issue. This is a customer service/repeat customer issue in a highly competitive aircraft market. Boeing workers should be ashamed of themselves for their actions. I'm laughing my ass off at the newly displaced workers! You made your bed, now lie in it you liberal fools!
Liberal fools? What makes you think all unionized machinists are liberal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 11:25 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Sweden is 78% unionized and has one the top standards of living in the entire World.

In fact most of Western Europe has much higher levels of unionization than the USA and has a higher standard of living.

I sometimes wonder if this is a jealousy thing with right wingers?

Instead of working to raise the wages of eveyone who puts in a honest day's pay they want to bring everyone down to mininum wage with no health care.

Is this what you want for your kids?

No worker's rights?

Wages so low you cannot support your family?

Keep voting GOP, and corporate power over workers will continue to expand. They will own you.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
The union who supposedly is looking out for the working man their "brothers" , not only loses out because of their greed, but they also hurt those they claim to help.
You seem to be confused on how unions work. The union is "their brothers." Union members vote on actions like a strike. The members offered a bid, and Boeing rejected that bid. It was a business decision, nothing more. It's no different than Boeing accepting bids from another supplier, and selecting one. The others lose. Do you also complain when a sheet metal supplier is underbid by another? What about those workers? Do you cry because the "greed" of one sheet metal supplier hurt its workers?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Lets not get sidetracked here the bottom line is SouthCarolinas Economy is going ot get much better and WAshingtons much worse and it is mostly the fault of the union. those are the undeniable facts.
Denied.

One aircraft plant does not an economy make. That's an undeniable fact. Try again.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:37 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Then Hitler was right. One of the first things he did after taking power was to abolish unions. He knew it all then, what you do now.
You know your talking to a well trained leftist when they can weave Hitler into any discussion!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:39 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,906 times
Quote:
we wont take this thread off topic and discuss the problem with education but i would be glad to in another thread. I will just say the teachers unions are some of the most powerful lobby groups in dc, and they have a choke hold on the democrat party.
Which again has nothing to do with how teachers have benefited from their union. If it was not for the teacher's union, I assure you that many qualified teachers would be searching for better positions. Again, unions in theory are not bad. A balance between worker and boss is always needed.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Most if not all of the things that Unions once stood for are now the law of the land. there are very few reasons for unions except to be a drain on the eoconomy and to be a political organizing arm of the demoncrat party.

unions in general are a danger to freedom loving people.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
You know your talking to a well trained leftist when they can weave Hitler into any discussion!
I won't call tea baggers leftists, not even close! Going back to the hatred for unions... wasn't Hitler right? See, unlike the "conservatives", I'm not resorting to name-calling, just putting forth my observation of an act from history and how it ties to the present.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Sweden is 78% unionized and has one the top standards of living in the entire World.

In fact most of Western Europe has much higher levels of unionization than the USA and has a higher standard of living.

I sometimes wonder if this is a jealousy thing with right wingers?

Instead of working to raise the wages of eveyone who puts in a honest day's pay they want to bring everyone down to mininum wage with no health care.

Is this what you want for your kids?

No worker's rights?

Wages so low you cannot support your family?

Keep voting GOP, and corporate power over workers will continue to expand. They will own you.
Don't forget, perhaps, the most prosperous times for American economy... the Middle Class era that began in late 1930s and continued for about four decades before slowly being killed by oligarchs.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:44 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
that is funny. american labor is anti labor and has been since the 1970's.
what has that got us. let me esplain you
21 million illegal immigrants and a trillion plus trade deficit & factory ghost towns.
next time you get hungry and get tired of living in your RV ask an illegal for a handout.
american anti union business recruits illegals and lobbies for soft immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies