Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 01:20 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I agree, and I was thinking the same thing today. Twenty years ago, most people never even dreamed that same-sex marriage would be a possibility. There's been a dramatic shift in attitudes about same-sex unions over the last 10 years, and for that, I am grateful.

The only thing that has changed is gay political organizations have attempted to thwart the will of the people and failed.
Well, that and the media is firmly behind their cause and is now an advocate instead of neutral.

Double entandre puns inserted for late night amusement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 01:21 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The only thing that has changed is gay political organizations have attempted to thwart the will of the people and failed.
That's not true. There's been a steady increase in the acceptance of homosexuality over the years. You can ignore opinion polls if you wish, but I don't know why you would - unless you like to live in denial.

Tolerance for Gay Rights at High-Water Mark

Try to be rational once in a while. I do. It feels much better than being dogmatic.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Well, that and the media is firmly behind their cause and is now an advocate instead of neutral.
So, you agree with him that attitudes about homosexuality haven't changed over the last 10-20 years? I'm not sure how any realist can say that.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:25 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Wow, that's a joke, like most of our states here. What happens when 2 people show up with the same name and address?
I agree. It does leave it open to abuse. I can't tell you what happens because whenever I've got there they only ask who I am and if I've voted today already and there's only me with my name on the electoral roll. Nobody has ever got in before me before to defraud me of my vote. I expect that some kind of proof of identity would be required if you were the person voting second. I do know that there was a group a few years back that were voting for deceased people. Not sure how they wangled the scam but it was discovered.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So, you agree with him that attitudes about homosexuality haven't changed over the last 10-20 years? I'm not sure how any realist can say that.
I think 20 years ago, gay marriage would have been acceptable in SF, Mass and Vermont. I'm ignorant on the issue, but how many states have legalized gay marriage via a vote of it's people and not judicial activism? I really don't know.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I agree. It does leave it open to abuse. I can't tell you what happens because whenever I've got there they only ask who I am and if I've voted today already and there's only me with my name on the electoral roll. Nobody has ever got in before me before to defraud me of my vote. I expect that some kind of proof of identity would be required if you were the person voting second. I do know that there was a group a few years back that were voting for deceased people. Not sure how they wangled the scam but it was discovered.
Why not just have proof of id?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
I think 20 years ago, gay marriage would have been acceptable in SF, Mass and Vermont. I'm ignorant on the issue, but how many states have legalized gay marriage via a vote of it's people and not judicial activism? I really don't know.
None have, but his argument wasn't about marriage, it was that attitudes about homosexuality haven't changed at all in the last 20 years. I don't see how a rational-minded person could share his view. I think awareness and acceptance have grown a LOT over the last 20 years.

I may come across to some as aggressive on the gay issue, but honestly, I'm also very grateful for the way things are now compared to the way things used to be, not that long ago.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 969 times
I say live and let live.....no bans on bestiality, pedophilia, or homosexuality. People are as nature made them, who are any of us to criticize any of the above?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
None have, but his argument wasn't about marriage, it was that attitudes about homosexuality haven't changed at all in the last 20 years. I don't see how a rational-minded person could share his view. I think awareness and acceptance have grown a LOT over the last 20 years.

I may come across to some as aggressive on the gay issue, but honestly, I'm also very grateful for the way things are now compared to the way things used to be, not that long ago.
I honestly didn't know that. Hmm...then that kinda makes our point, no? Society is more accepting of homosexuals today, i.e don't treat them as poorly, but still don't believe that gay marriage is equal to straight marriage; the elections would seem back this up, no?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtree View Post
I say live and let live.....no bans on bestiality, pedophilia, or homosexuality. People are as nature made them, who are any of us to criticize any of the above?
Dude, the NAMBLA sight aint here. Since this is your 1st post, you're either being very sarcastic or a hardcore perv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies