Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times

Advertisements

You do realize that marriage is a religious institution, it is not and should not be a government institution. In reality, court houses should not be passing out marriages. Marriages should happen in a church and civil unions should be whats handed out in a court house(to any sex couples who want to be legally bound to each other). Though civil unions should have the same legality of marriages.

Marriages are a promise to god himself, and I hate to say it, but religion is unanimously opposed to gay marriage.

I also believe that marriages and divorces are far too easy to get. Which is why the divorce rate is so high. To keep people from rushing into marriage, we should make getting a divorce much harder to get.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 11-04-2009 at 03:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 03:52 AM

654 posts, read 465,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I said it was sad but true in the sense that as older people die, the country becomes better for gay marriage standards.
That is a false statement.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:14 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Default Gay-marriage foes claim victory in Maine

The Associated Press: Gay-marriage foes claim victory in Maine

Quote:
PORTLAND, Maine — Gay-marriage opponents are claiming victory in a closely watched referendum in Maine on a new state law that would have allowed same-sex couples to wed.
The law in question was passed by the Legislature in May but never took effect because of a petition drive by conservatives.

I am a conservative and I do NOT agree with this at all. I am sad that this was overturned. It is times like this that I question my fellow conservatives. Sorry guys but the lib part of me is coming out on this issue.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:25 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
You do realize that marriage is a religious institution, it is not and should not be a government institution. In reality, court houses should not be passing out marriages. Marriages should happen in a church and civil unions should be whats handed out in a court house(to any sex couples who want to be legally bound to each other). Though civil unions should have the same legality of marriages.

Marriages are a promise to god himself, and I hate to say it, but religion is unanimously opposed to gay marriage.

I also believe that marriages and divorces are far too easy to get. Which is why the divorce rate is so high. To keep people from rushing into marriage, we should make getting a divorce much harder to get.
The way in which a marriage is conducted has changed over time, as has the institution itself. Although the institution of marriage pre-dates reliable recorded history, many cultures have legends concerning the origins of marriage.
One of the oldest known and recorded marriage laws is discerned from Hammurabi's Code, enacted during the Mesopotamian world (widely considered as the cradle of civilization). The legal institution of marriage and its rules and ramifications have changed over time depending on the culture or demographic of the time.

Marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-04-2009, 04:41 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,098 times
Good for them....

Maine has gone way up in my book!

Note:
The Truth does not evolve. (the Truth did not "develop" from something that was not true, from something less than the Truth)
The Truth does not change with time. (changed "values" or "perceptions" do not equal changed reality)
2+2=4 always....You can convince yourself...and millions of others that 2+2=5....but all you have done, is convinced yourself, and millions of others of......... a LIE!!!....

"If you tell the lie often enough people will begin to believe that it is true"

Adolf Hitler

Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtree View Post
I say live and let live.....no bans on bestiality, pedophilia, or homosexuality. People are as nature made them, who are any of us to criticize any of the above?
Fred Phelps just asked if you could stop being greedy and using his half of your shared brain cell... he needs it back.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:52 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,444,984 times
Despite elections in my current state (Virginia), the first thing I looked for this morning was the vote on same-sex marriage in Maine. I'm disappointed in the vote, and stunned that Maine voted that way. I was so sure that all the Mainers I've met over the years truly reflected what I came to see as Maine values - a live-and-let-live attitude that combined common sense and decency with a genuine caring for their fellow Mainers. I guess I was fooled.

I'm just so disappointed.

GreenGene ... 57, straight, and married (34 years) with children.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:56 AM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
PORTLAND, Maine — Maine voters have torpedoed a state law that would have allowed gay couples to marry.

With 84 percent of the precincts reporting, gay-marriage foes had 53 percent of the vote Tuesday.

The outcome amounts to a heartbreaking defeat for the gay rights movement — particularly since it occurred in New England, the corner of the country most supportive of gay marriage.

The Associated Press: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law
Looks like I guessed right about the results...Maine hasn't been completely taken over by flatlanders just yet, and really isn't as far left on the whole as some may wish.

Quote:
This is true.

I feel bad for the people who fought so hard to keep same-sex marriage legal in Maine, but I think it may be best to step back a bit now and push for civil unions. Most Americans seem to support that.

I'll admit - for a lot of Americans, same-sex marriage is just too much to handle.
I've suggested that to many homosexuals...

Old 11-04-2009, 05:24 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Next on the agenda: Prison camps for homosexuals, and eventually, gas chambers. Who's with me on this?
Hardly.

There are some, basically in every single state it is put to a vote, who want to preserve the institution of marriage.

Now this is a shocker. Who would have thought that one of the most liberal states in the country would reject gay marriage.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gay_marriage_maine (broken link)

Quote:
The outcome Tuesday marked the first time voters had rejected a gay-marriage law enacted by a legislature. When Californians put a stop to same-sex marriage a year ago, it was in response to a court ruling, not legislation.

Five other states have legalized gay marriage — starting with Massachusetts in 2004, and followed by Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Iowa — but all did so through legislation or court rulings, not by popular vote. In contrast, constitutional amendments banning gay marriage have been approved in all 30 states where they have been on the ballot.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:33 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,337,482 times
I never thought there could be so many hateful people on my country. Rather than help a neighbor, they would spit in their neighbors face. I don't understand this at all. I'm seriously getting sick of this country. Such ignorance....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies