Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 09:32 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Why can't I marry my dog?
LOL! Exactly.

With all the tragedy and true suffering present in the world today that should be commanding all our attention and efforts, it is amazing to me that so many get their panties in a twist over "gay marriage," which simply couldn't be more of a non-issue. Yet if we are to believe the leftists, it is the single most important human rights issue of the decade. Please! Grow up. Throw a party in your backyard and eat some cake and call each other "husband" in front of your friends, but don't expect the rest of society to take you seriously or to agree with your perspective on relationships.

Marriage is between one man and one woman. That's just the way it is. Men also can't gestate and birth babies. I know it sucks but it's called "realities of life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 09:34 AM

757 posts, read 802,678 times
[quote=arctichomesteader;11478059]See my other posts, the SCOTUS already has settled this as a state issue until and if it's overturned.[/quo

The US Supreme Court has never ruled on gay marriage specifically. When they do, they will likely over turn state laws the deny equality under the law.
It fascinates me the way Conservatives CLAIM they want government out of their lives yet have ZERO problem with state government sticking their nose into tax paying gay american citizens lives? Reeks of hypocrisy.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:39 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
The US Supreme Court has never ruled on gay marriage specifically. When they do, they will likely over turn state laws the deny equality under the law.
It fascinates me the way Conservatives CLAIM they want government out of their lives yet have ZERO problem with state government sticking their nose into tax paying american citizens lives? Reeks of hypocrisy.
Baker v. Nelson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They dismissed the case on the grounds that it is not a federal issue, and this is binding precedent on all federal courts until overturned. Marriage is a state issue.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 AM

240 posts, read 537,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRepublican View Post
I'm not even gonna bother to discuss the topic... it's already getting too ugly.

But I've already seen a lot of "this country is stupid" just in the first few pages... so to all of you,
I say shut the hell up or get the hell out, nobody is keeping you here in this "stupid" country.

(besides, I don't know how you label the whole country stupid based on something that happened in Maine... that seems, well... stupid)
There in lies the problem with this issue. Too many display a child-like mentality if you don't agree with them and their choices. I personally could care less what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their home.

But, to immaturely call others "stupid" who don't agree with you is in itself, exactly what they accuse others of doing to them......

Unfortunately, we are seeing the results of an "It's all about me" society, where Johnnie and Joanie were told by Mommy how special they were as children, and they always got what they wanted or they pouted and threw a tantrum when things didn't go their way.......

Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
I'm not comfortable with swingers, but I'm not going to try to outlaw their behavior either. Live and let live.
Polygamy is still against the law also.

Swingers aren't fighting for polymarriage.

That would go down in flames as well.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:47 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
LOL! Exactly.

With all the tragedy and true suffering present in the world today that should be commanding all our attention and efforts, it is amazing to me that so many get their panties in a twist over "gay marriage," which simply couldn't be more of a non-issue. Yet if we are to believe the leftists, it is the single most important human rights issue of the decade. Please! Grow up. Throw a party in your backyard and eat some cake and call each other "husband" in front of your friends, but don't expect the rest of society to take you seriously or to agree with your perspective on relationships.

Marriage is between one man and one woman. That's just the way it is. Men also can't gestate and birth babies. I know it sucks but it's called "realities of life."
It may be a non-issue to you, but you are not one of the people that has just has hopes for equality stomped all over. And I have not heard one gay activist state that this is the most important issue at present. In fact all of those that I have heard have categorically stated that the situation in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the economy are our top priorities as a nation, but discussion surrounding DOMA and DADT must continue.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:54 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
[quote=okccowboy;11478182]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
See my other posts, the SCOTUS already has settled this as a state issue until and if it's overturned.[/quo

It fascinates me the way Conservatives CLAIM they want government out of their lives yet have ZERO problem with state government sticking their nose into tax paying gay american citizens lives? Reeks of hypocrisy.
I don't see how this matter would be a federal issue. The fact is that they're attempting to redefine marriage and convey some sort of legal recognition and validity to a relationship that for many people is abnormal and deviant.

There's no reason for the state to sanction the marriage between people of the same sex. It's abnormal and other people agree that it's abnormal for two people of the same sex to marry. Civil Unions, Domestic Partnership o.k. but Marriage is between a man and a woman.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
The gay rights people should be realizing by now that they can't force their agenda on the other 95% of society.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:02 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The gay rights people should be realizing by now that they can't force their agenda on the other 95% of society.
Actually, they're not forcing any agenda. Requesting marriage between the same sex is forcing an agenda? LOL, wow you people are overly sensitive. See, if this civil rights issue wasn't put to a vote, no one could have any cause to keep whining that gays are forcing an agenda. It's really quite simple, this issue should not be put up to a vote, it's a simple basic right. I know that's hard for you people who never had to think twice about getting married.....and divorced.....and then married again.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
It's not? Do you think marriage is a civil rights issue for straights? What a snappy comeback you've got, see you put a lot of thought into it.
She wouldn't be screaming that if it was HER marriage that was in question.

IF the government took away your RIGHT to marrying who you love, you all would be running around screaming "OH MY GOD! MY RIGHTS!"

Oh, you bet it would be a civil rights issue to them then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies