Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 12:20 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Well, of course it does. Through history, folks have not always looked too kindly on others who were WAY out in left field ! (or who "totally deviated). That's very true.
My "point"? I just prefer it all out in the open. If one is arguing for gay marriage out of a sense of being a total deviant, and wanting to open the floodgates to.............to WHATEVER........ then let's say that. Myself, I have no problem at all saying I am pretty much a traditionalist.
You seem to have more honesty than some folks, who I suspect, are indeed quite the deviants, but who deny it in order to further their goal of having gay marriage (and who knows what else). That's called sneakiness, I believe.

I do want to point out that I do not see myself as a deviant in this matter, I was just conceding that according to your classification that I'm deviant. I see nothing wrong or immoral with allowing gay folks to have the same benefits of marriage that the rest of us enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 01:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
This isn't rocket science.. The fact is the "majority" of americans at this time do not accept the homosexual life style as mainestream.. or moral.
What's your source on that?

The polls I've seen show America evenly divided on the question of whether homosexuality is "moral". If you're aware of polls that show a majority who say it's immoral, please post them.

Majority Continues to Support Civil Unions: Overview - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

Americans Evenly Divided on Morality of Homosexuality

Old 11-13-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I live in Maine and one of the biggest complaints I heard was that people were very upset that the legistlature passed this without bringing it to a vote.. people felt like it was being forced upon them..
All laws are "forced" on us. I doubt there are many laws where you'll get 100% support from the people, and there are definitely some laws that the majority of people disagree with. The marriage issue wouldn't be a problem if people didn't have such a negative reaction to same-sex relationships that don't affect their own lives. It's too bad most people can't mind their own business, and live and let live.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
you need new friends.... just sayin..
Why? They are very nice people.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:32 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Why do gay couples have to demonstrate they are deserving in the first place? Did you have to go in front to a government committee to prove that you are deserving? Of course not. Why should they?
Why? Simple...to pursuade the general public that homosexuality can be acceptable and moral.. That the gay lifestyle represents a fairly large segment of society and that same sex "marraige" would benifit society in same way that the current definition of marraige does.(what its supposed to do) IE... support and strengthen comitted relationships by provided certain benifits.. We have seen homosexual couples raise children, and I think there is a strong family value that could be added to the argument..

Also consider that you have LOST this in 31 states when it came to a vote.. as the issue gets bigger and bigger Politicians are going to be to afraid to commit political suicide by pushing this if they feel their constituants will oust them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
If this is a moral issue then I would argue that the government should get out the business of regulating marriage altogether! But its not, at least how I look at it. From the government perspective, marriage is a legal contract that guarantees certain rights/benefits.

I don't know if marriage is a right or not (at least in the strictest sense of the word), but I don't think its a privilege. A driver's license is a privilege....you apply to see if you are show you are eligible for one (proper age, able to pass the tests) your access to this privilige regulated by how you use that privilege. There isn't any regulation of marriage.
My "morality" point of view is coming from the issue of wanting to change the way we define what marraige currently is.. you are correct it IS a legal contract that provides benifits.. weather or not to redefine the way we view marraige is a moral question.. at least when it comes to pursuading the general public to vote for it.

There IS a regulation to marraige.. if there wasn't then we would not be having this debate. You need to apply and successfully recieve an license to get married.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:45 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Sexuality does not equal race. It is not even necessarily a comparable discussion point. This has become the biggest canard of the debate. The pro gay marriage side has just spouted it, as if saying it often enough makes it true. It does not withstand scrutiny or examination.
Are you saying that sex and sexuality = race?? If so, why?? On what grounds is that your underlying assumption? I am challenging it.
b/c some believe that sexuality is genetic. at least, i've seen that in my family. if it is indeed genetic, then it is an immutable trait that cannot be changed with ease. I wish that the NIH would sponsor a study to prove this point. It might be a good salvo to counteract the bigotry against gay folk ou there.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:47 PM

The arguments against same-sex marriage are based on nothing substantial. It comes down to: "Because marriage is between a man and a woman, and that's that." Arguments about "tradition" and "morality" sound nice, but there are no studies that say same-sex relationships hurt society in any way, so I don't think those arguments are very meaningful.

At the very least, civil unions should be legal across the country.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:33 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
b/c some believe that sexuality is genetic. at least, i've seen that in my family. if it is indeed genetic, then it is an immutable trait that cannot be changed with ease. I wish that the NIH would sponsor a study to prove this point. It might be a good salvo to counteract the bigotry against gay folk ou there.
It's STILL a canard. You have to tell me why, even if both are genetic, why sex/sexuality and race should be directly linked. If your only argument for that linkage in terms of how important each dynamic is, then why not say that having a gap in your front teeth=race?? That THOSE two things are to be treated the same? They're both genetic.
The pro-gay lobby glibly says that Sex/Sexuality is just like race, without ever having to back that statement up. It's just accepted. Not by me. Who SAYS it's just like race??

Old 11-16-2009, 02:50 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:
It's STILL a canard. You have to tell me why, even if both are genetic, why sex/sexuality and race should be directly linked. If your only argument for that linkage in terms of how important each dynamic is, then why not say that having a gap in your front teeth=race?? That THOSE two things are to be treated the same? They're both genetic.
The pro-gay lobby glibly says that Sex/Sexuality is just like race, without ever having to back that statement up. It's just accepted. Not by me. Who SAYS it's just like race??
Agreed. And the notion that society has to accept homosexuality as normal because it is the product of genetics could be applied to pedophilia. Who's to say that a pedophile isn't born that way? And if that's the case who are we to discriminate against his sexual orientation? As you said there are many things that are natural, like two-headed cats. But that doesn't make them normal. If nature makes homosexuals it is a cruel thing that nature has done. But don't visit the aberration on the rest of society.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Agreed. And the notion that society has to accept homosexuality as normal because it is the product of genetics could be applied to pedophilia.
That's a ridiculous comparison because sex between adults and children is illegal, and it's assumed that a child is not able to give consent to have sex with an adult.

As far as the legality of homosexuality, society DOES have to accept it as normal. It's legal throughout the United States; pedophilia is not. See the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies