Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 12:04 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
We have more democracy and we also have elections to express our democracy. Just saying homosexuals wold be in a world of trouble if not living in the United States.
Yes, it's horrific for them here in Australia.

Could it be we're not lobbied within an inch of our lives here?

Anway this is very sad news. I had hoped this blight wouldn't infect New England but seemingly the thumpers are doing a brilliant job. Go Westboro!

AND bring on the Mardi Gras and MidSumma! It's the one time of year I can be guaranteed to see gays & lesbians out and proud and heaven forbid even kissing . It kinda makes up for having the "Russian babes" naked cavorting and begging for my call beamed into my house every night while I try to watch tele. I will give them this though, they are making me an incredibly quick couch commando with the remote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
Great day for America. This just shows you that the majority of Americans do NOT subscribe to the aberrant and perverse lifestyle of homosexuality.
No, it shows me that a majority of voters in Maine didn't approve of same-sex marriage. I don't remember hearing that Maine represented all of America.

If you choose to call homosexuality "aberrant and perverse", that's your interpretation, but I don't remember seeing anything on the ballot using those words.

Oh - and people who are educated about human sexuality know better than to use words like you used.

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
the real issue is that civil rights issues should not be subjected to popular vote... period.. it has been an issue of the courts and legislature, and it will continue to be that way.. the same way in which slavery, women's sufferage, and civil rights of the 60's happened.
as much as people want to claim victory or defeat.. the issue isn't going away in the least... there is no way to stop it.. you can throw everything but the kitchen sink in front of progress but eventually you get pushed aside for what is the right thing to do...
These votes do nothing but make the nation look disgraceful...we all ought to be ashamed of ourselves every one of us!... We are witnessing some of the most unamerican tactics regarding equality... disgraceful
Agreed.

When prop 8 passed here in California, the church down the street from where I work had a celebration of it's passing. I absolutely cannot believe people would actually celebrate that a right (Loving V Virginia) was forcibly denied to a group of people.

Sad, pathetic and shameful.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:05 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Maybe interracial marriage should be brought back up for a vote. Many of the reasons that people use against gay marriage are the same ones used in the 60's against interracial marriages. It is not right that the LGBTQ people of the supposedly free and equal USA have to fight for the same rights that every straight person gets handed to on a platter. Why do we have to be treated like second class citizens in our own country. Just as in California, the votes were swayed by lies from church backed groups. The same church's that want to hide pedophiles and call them by another name. TAX the church's, save America.
america is becoming less and less religious... and these tactics by church's are only making thier own beds in history.. look at europe.. some countries as high as 80 percent athiest... because they've REALLY seen the nasty tactics of religion in their long histories.. we're getting ours.. and it will only hurt them in the end...

Old 11-04-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So what about the heterosexual couples that don't want their union redefined by gays. Do they not matter because you have a differing opinion? What gives you the right to change their institution?
Redefined by gays? So, you think that nearly half of Maine voters are gay?

Old 11-04-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
This just goes to show how out of touch elected representatives are with their constituients.
Well, on the other hand, we have a representative government for a reason. I don't think it's the job of a representative to just take a poll of their constituents and vote accordingly on every issue. I know you know this. If you would argue that representatives should just vote for whatever's popular in their districts, why even bother having representatives at all? Just let the public vote on everything since they - according to some - always know what's best.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:09 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
We aren't a Muslim country and how they do things has no effect on us.

That's not what Obama says.

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
So what about the heterosexual couples that don't want their union redefined by gays. Do they not matter because you have a differing opinion? What gives you the right to change their institution?
First answer me this:

I am a female.

How will your union be "redefined" if I marry a female tomorrow?

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
america is becoming less and less religious... and these tactics by church's are only making thier own beds in history.. look at europe.. some countries as high as 80 percent athiest... because they've REALLY seen the nasty tactics of religion in their long histories.. we're getting ours.. and it will only hurt them in the end...
And you just made the case in keeping Judeo/Christian values strong in America.

It is the atheist countries who have killed more people than any other. The communists, fascists and those countries who denied God and His teachings.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:11 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:

Marriage = a union between two people who love one another. It's not a difficult concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies