Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The fact that you can't work your way through something does not mean that it is a lie.
Oooh sag, you do understand we are all laughing at your expense..
Quote:
Think of the 2008 Bush Stimulus Plan. A lot of people got a check for a few hundred dollars. Nobody got a new job in the mail.
So you all of a sudden proclaimed that the Bush stimulus plan which actually gave people cash to spend,
Quote:
And if I give my staff a long overdue raise, and they all respond by at last taking every shirt they own to the dry cleaners, and the dry cleaner who was about to lay off an assistant keeps him on instead as all this once-missing business suddenly reappears, is that a job saved or not?
Was nothing like this plan which gave people cash to spend...

How about if these people chose to pay down debt under their "pay raise"? You did just admit that doesnt create jobs under Bush, but suddenly it does under Obama.

What happens next year when the daycare doesnt have the money to support the "pay raise"? LAYOFFS.. NET LOSS, not NET GAIN...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:00 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I own some swamp land also
No doubt some very nice swamp land also. Congratulations on your savvy acquisition. The fact is that paperwork prepared in the field by thousands of people who have never filled out such forms before is going to contain errors. If that's your big complaint, I'm afraid you'll have to go to the back of the line. Of course, your complaint is very important to us, so please do continue to stand there until your complaint can be dealt with in turn...

Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually the OPPOSITE is true..

If I give you a raise using money I didnt have, and got from a government grant, NEXT year you will be expecting atleast the SAME amount you got paid this year.

Since I didnt have it to begin with to give you a raise, I'm forced with laying people off.

For every "raise" subsidized the ultimate outcome is LAYOFFS, it just delayed them until next years budgets..

Somewhere there is a story about police officers faced with this same issue. Grant paid for the officers to be hired, grant expired, police officers were to be laid off..
with this raise you accept new job responsibilities (= are responsible for increased productivity) that in a time of looser money would be given to an entirely new position. Your raise = the productivity of a new position at a fraction of the cost.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
with this raise you accept new job responsibilities (= are responsible for increased productivity) that in a time of looser money would be given to an entirely new position. Your raise = the productivity of a new position at a fraction of the cost.
Where did you get this from? I've often got new pay raises without new responsibilities. Its called a COST OF LIVING adjustment..

Even if true, how would a daycare employee increase production? Change the diapers faster? Make the kids eat faster? Make kids run faster through the playground?

"Move it move it move it.. I dont wanna hear no sassy mouth you little maggots"

Old 11-04-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Where did you get this from? I've often got new pay raises without new responsibilities. Its called a COST OF LIVING adjustment..

Even if true, how would a daycare employee increase production? Change the diapers faster? Make the kids eat faster? Make kids run faster through the playground? How does a daycare employee increase productivity to compensate for your so called "increase" in pay?
The Southwest Community Action center isnt a day care center. The Administration for Children and Families at Health and Human Services isnt a day care center. In fact I dont see mention of a day care center anywhere in the OP's article.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Even if true, how would a daycare employee increase production? Change the diapers faster? Make the kids eat faster? Make kids run faster through the playground?

"Move it move it move it.. I dont wanna hear no sassy mouth you little maggots"
"Nap harder!"

Old 11-04-2009, 02:15 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,171 times
Academicians and professor-types are such easy fodder. Great at theory but zero practical experience.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:16 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the problem is we dont have the 'worksheet',,,but you also MISS READ the article....."She said she multiplied the 508 employees by 1.84 — the percentage pay raise they received """ it does say multiply by 1.84%...it says multiply by 1.84
Perhaps you were typing while riding a mechanical bull, but you should try again in any case. The article is quoting the woman, not the instructions. Notice that the instructions for Line 3 of your Form 1040 -- Schedule A say to Multiply line 2 by 7.5% but that (.075) appears immediately thereafter. This is because the IRS has learned over the years how dumb even otherwise competent people can be when it comes to elementary mathematics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
st sipmle fact is that the amount of jobs 'saved' that is being reported to the PUBLIC by the ADMINISTRATION is false...... a lie repeated is still a lie
It is a simple fact that the jobs thus far saved or created are being reported as close to real time as possible, and that the estimates are from preliminary data that are subject to revision. Sort of like the 3.5% GDP growth rate for the third quarter. It too is based upon preliminary data that will be revised. Learn to live with it. Preliminary ≠ Final.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:17 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Sanganista - nice dodge. Do you believe conceptually that if wall street execs get a big pay raise it is the same as increasing employment?
Well, you see right there that Obama can 'claim' that oh, let's say... 100 trillion jobs were 'created or saved' on Wall Street because they got all those big bonuses and such, you know? ...rofl!

Old 11-04-2009, 02:18 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
I was more convinced saggy is Hillary Clinton..
I'm pretty sure saggy is David Axelrod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies