Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:12 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
fire them for being fat, discriminate against them for being fat, even attack and kill them for being fat

fire them for being Christian, discriminate against them for being Christian, even attack and kill them for being Christian

fire them for being atheist, discriminate against them for being atheist, even attack and kill them for being atheist

Like I said, you're not special, you're average.
then TREAT them as average and don't makes laws specifically banning them from certain rights! obviously they aren't being treated as "average" or we wouldn't have all these threads...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:17 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
then TREAT them as average and don't makes laws specifically banning them from certain rights! obviously they aren't being treated as "average" or we wouldn't have all these threads...
Marriage is not a "right" and no laws were made banning anyone. Laws were made upholding and avowing that marriage is between one man and one woman.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:19 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
are you talking about gays are are you just talking about folks that enjoy sex other than vaginal, which include heterosexuals? or are you just so focused on the placement of genitalia that you can't see the bigger picture here, which goes beyond physical sex. people who are against gays are way too focused on the psychical act of sex and don't look at the love aspect. they don't look at a loving married gay couple and see them as a loving gay couple, they just picture them putting genitalia in "odd places". we don't need this sort of narrow mindedness influencing the lives of these people
Being heterosexual is only about who you are sexually attracted to which does relate to how you have sex.

Being homosexual is only about who you are sexually attracted to which relates to the manner in which you have sex.

I don't understand your point?

Using love as an argument to allowing people to marry isn't valid. Plenty of people get married for reasons that don't include love. Being in love isn't reason enough to marry.

And what do you say about having more than one marriage?

I'm sure there's a niche group who would like to marry more than one person.

What about marrying a child?

Let's say that there's a man from a nation where they marry children at the age of 8. This man comes to the USA and becomes a citizen. He believes his culture is being oppressed because where he comes from it is perfectly legal to marry an 8 year old. He goes to his home nation and marries this child, brings her to the USA and petitions to have his marriage recognized as legal under US law.

Think it can't happen here?

Old 11-04-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Marriage is not a "right" and no laws were made banning anyone. Laws were made upholding and avowing that marriage is between one man and one woman.
I'm not talking about "marriage" per se, I'm talking about all the rights and privileges that come w/ it, the ones given to others

Old 11-04-2009, 02:40 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Being heterosexual is only about who you are sexually attracted to which does relate to how you have sex.

Being homosexual is only about who you are sexually attracted to which relates to the manner in which you have sex.

Huh? I don't understand your point at all. Are the above sentences your words or someone else's because what you said is the exact same thing in each sentence. Was that your intention?

Quote:
Using love as an argument to allowing people to marry isn't valid. Plenty of people get married for reasons that don't include love. Being in love isn't reason enough to marry.
Being in love isn't reason enough to marry.....so the criteria used for allowing people to get married is who they have sex with & nothing to do with emotional feelings. Wow, you are so misguided.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:

And what do you say about having more than one marriage?

I'm sure there's a niche group who would like to marry more than one person.

What about marrying a child?

Let's say that there's a man from a nation where they marry children at the age of 8. This man comes to the USA and becomes a citizen. He believes his culture is being oppressed because where he comes from it is perfectly legal to marry an 8 year old. He goes to his home nation and marries this child, brings her to the USA and petitions to have his marriage recognized as legal under US law.

Think it can't happen here?
do you care why someone gets married? I don't care if someone gets married for love, lust, money, political position, whatever. so long as it doesn't hurt anyone, WHO CARES why folks get married. why do YOU care why certain people get married if it doesn't hurt anyone? would you care if my parents got married b/c they were in love, or just b/c my mom wanted my dad's money? (hypothetical question of course!). do I care why a gay couple got married, whether it was for love or other reasons that don't hurt anyone?

and don't even bother bringing up children or animals. children in this country under a certain age can't consent to marriage. neither can animals. love how this always get brought up in a discussion about gay marriage come on, let's focus on the US here... (though this was a fascinating Law and Order episode)

as for polygamy, I honestly don't care and it wouldn't affect me so long as there was consent, however, there would be a lot of sticky points regarding certain benefits given to married couples and polygamists abusing those benefits. I agree w/ another poster in that the gov't shouldn't be involved in marriage at all, shouldn't give certain rights and benefits to married couple and deny them to others. that's where a lot of the issues pop up

Old 11-05-2009, 10:21 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
civil rights are an issue of the courts.. NOT the voting public...
The courts must look at the law, and hear the complaints and evidence on both sides of the issue to determine how the issue should be handled against the laws and protections of the land.
The voting public doesn't get a say on something that doesn't effect them. Gay marriage does not effect them. IT DOESNT

whether something is taught in schools or promoted elsewhere is a separate issue... the very act of two consenting adults being recognized by the law in the same manner everyone else is it's own issue and an issue of equality...

Old 11-05-2009, 11:12 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
So if gays were the majority, would you want them voting on heterosexual marriage?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:23 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
So if gays were the majority, would you want them voting on heterosexual marriage?
Are you serious??? Can't you see the arm flapping from here? Double standards my friend, double standards...that's what the haters live by.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
karfar we need to have some wine sometime! Did you say you like pinot? LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies