Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Have Been the Side Effects of Same-Sex Marriage/Civil Unions In Your Area?
I Haven't Noticed Any Effect. 38 55.07%
Our Quality-of-Life Has Decreased. 8 11.59%
Our Quality-of-Life Has Improved. 8 11.59%
I Don't Live in One of the Affected States and Should NOT Weight in on the Issue. 15 21.74%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:47 PM

529 posts, read 1,891,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
I think we ought to outlaw hetero marriage.

We make it a disgrace!

Can anyone explain to me as a true American, why you oppose gay marriage?

If we have a secular government and you abide by the constitution, then you must also abide by the seperation of church and state. Right?
I may not have any business posting in this thread at all, but to answer a few questions:

If divorce rates are higher in Republican states than they are in Democratic states, then maybe Republicans should quit getting married to Democrats...heh heh.. it's a joke folks...

Anyhow.

I live in a state where our constitution was ammended to forbid same sex marriage. So unless I move elsewhere, I'll never know for sure about "quality" of life issues that might surround this whole thing.

Secondly:

Though I claim a Republican standing..... have been for years.... I find my views moving more toward the Libertarian.

You need to understand that most of our notions about same sex marriage have been instilled in us via our upbringing and social climate.
I could easily oppose gay marriage because I was trained to by society.

I'm much too old to find myself subscribing to anything but mixed gender marriage..... call it traditionalism if you will..... or anything else for that matter, but this is how it is with us older folks.

I am quite comfortable in my opinions and views however. And I'm old enough to realize and understand that folks are going to do whatever suits them best, and no law in the land will ever really stop them.

The choices we make as individuals will ultimately determine our destiny, and far be it from anyone else to interfer with the choices we make.
I've made my choices throughout life, and am damn glad no one bothered me about it, just like others have to make their own choices and not be bothered about them.

I don't necessarily subscribe to the notion of booting the church out of the state either... but political climates change and so do people and so do laws.... People are about as cyclical as the weather is, and in 50 years, the pendulum will indeed swing the other way.... there just isn't any getting around it. And besides, it would be cost prohibitive to remove every reference to religion from the walls of our government....

Alot of these laws are fresh and new... In my opinion, one might be able to get a better understanding of the quality of life if these questions were asked 20 years or even a generation from now.

As an added note:

Civil unions or otherwise "marriage" between the same sex weren't such hot issue around these parts until it was discovered that benefits could be paid out to partners "only" if their union was a legal one.

The University Of Montana Board Of Regence refused to pay out on a Lesbian claim for her partner because only "legally" married couples deserved that privilege... the same applied to retirement benefits too.
This is what started it all here anyway.... "Money".

It wasn't long after this that our state constitution was ammended to reflect same sex marriage as illegal.

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 05-15-2007 at 03:00 PM..

Old 05-15-2007, 02:52 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
If not, then you must admit that marriage has NOTHING to do with religion, and any basis for denying gays the right to wed is based not on religious convictions but rather in full-blown homophobia and hatred.
I agree...marriage has nothing to do with religion. Folks that get married in a civil cerimony are just as married as folks that get married under a church roof etc. Some folks may wish to bring a mutal belief of religion into the ceremony but clearly it's not required.

Marriage is a contract between a man, a women, and the state goverment. If you doubt that see how involved the state gets when you try to Undo that contract....

With all do respect people can and some do have very strong opinions regarding the homosexual life style. That dosen't make them the lest bit homophobic and it certainly does not equate to hatred.

PS: To the person that red dotted me. Plesae learn to distingish between a personal attack and a cogent ,engageing discussion. I know it's a difficult concept but a critic of a persons ideas is not an attck on the person.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:13 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,933,518 times
SWB,
You may have read some of my posts. I'm an active supporter and volunteer of the GLBT community in LA. I answered " I haven't noticed any Effect."

Here in Ca, my partner and I are recognized as a couple legally bound by the state law. We pay our taxes and recieve a refund as domestic partners. The laws of Ca. see us as a married couple and treat us as such. We concider ourselves as the couple with great decorating sense in the condo complex rather than the gay couple with great decorating sense.

This is the explanation why I feel this way. The "Gay-borhoods" of West Hollywood and the Castro district in California are slowly shrinking. Many families and hetero-couples are slowly moving in the areas as mentioned. Many of the gay themed stores on Santa Monica and Castro street are closing up shop. More restaurants and family oriented stores are moving in the districts.

The reasoning? Many gay couples are finally assimulating the American dream! We bought a home in the suburbs of LA and presently talking to attorneys about adoptions. And many gay couples are following suit. Unfortunately, the term "Gay-borhood" will be a thing of the past.

Now whether or not our dream/status will effect other people and their quality of life has improved or deteriorated leaves it for debate. But our nieghbors seem to like us. They know we'll bring up their property value when we sell!

Old 05-15-2007, 03:42 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,016,311 times
In Connecticut, we are now debating Gay marriage in the states highest court.

Many gay and lesbian couples are suing the state, saying the 'civil unions' law in the state makes them second class citizens- separate but equal....

Connecticut as does Massachusetts (which does have gay marriage) both have among the lowest divorce rates in the country. How gay marriage among A few thousand couples of the same sex is going to drag the morals of those in the state down be they gay or straight is a mystery to me.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:44 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post

Many gay and lesbian couples are suing the state, saying the 'civil unions' law in the state makes them second class citizens- separate but equal....

Connecticut as does Massachusetts (which does have gay marriage) both have among the lowest divorce rates in the country. How gay marriage among A few thousand couples of the same sex is going to drag the morals of those in the street down be they gay or straight is a mystery to me.
Because your typical homophobe is affraid that being Gay is an airborne disease that they are going to catch...they also seem to believe that if Gay people were ever to get the upperhand, they would force us ALL to sleep with members of the same sex.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:47 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times
Quote:

Connecticut as does Massachusetts (which does have gay marriage) both have among the lowest divorce rates in the country. How gay marriage among A few thousand couples of the same sex is going to drag the morals of those in the street down be they gay or straight is a mystery to me.

I totally agree Skytrekker ! As far as I'm concerned any stable long term relationship has got to be a bonus for society rather than a drawback , whether Gay or Heterosexual. I just can't see what people get so upset about. Two people who love each other, and decide to commit to each other how exactly can this be a bad thing??
Surely as a society we want to encourage this. There seems to be so much hatred enough in the world without adding Homophobia to a very long list. Let's celebrate love and commitment whatever your sexual orientation.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:49 PM

Lisa

I fully understand that there are some reactionary elements in this country who truly believe

Being Gay is an airborne disease that they are going to catch...they also seem to believe that if Gay people were ever to get the upper hand, they would force us ALL to sleep with members of the same sex.

Sadly to say- it shows you how primitive and backward many are in this country.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:52 PM

Moose

believe me I warned you once about this nation on the issue of health care.
Well many do not want universal health care- some do not want to pay for those nasty fa***** getting health care right? Or any other 'undesirables'

Homophobia believe me also has 'economic implications' as well.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:59 PM

431 posts, read 393,500 times
Mostly Southerners? Interesting. But I digress...

SWB, the fact is that it takes voters to vote on issues and make them into law. Who are the voters? 8ish out of 10ish are Christians. Enough said.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:08 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times
Quote:
Moose

believe me I warned you once about this nation on the issue of health care.
Well many do not want universal health care- some do not want to pay for those nasty fa***** getting health care right? Or any other 'undesirables'

Homophobia believe me also has 'economic implications' as well.
If that's true, it's pretty sad for a Nation which prides itself on Freedom and Democracy.
In the UK, I think there is a lot more tolerance than there was few years ago but still, there are plenty of biggotts who think only they have the right to breathe and live...
A lot of people actually love Gay people moving in their area as the effect of "the Pink Pound" as it's now called means that this means a quick regeneration and clean up of areas and previously run down areas such as Brighton are now some of the most expensive places to live in the UK due to the economic boost due to Gay people wanting to live there. Economically Gay people make more money and are more into a certain standard of living ( I know it sounds like a gross over generalisation but this has been demonstrated by many studies)and this usually means better housing, restaurants and cultural facilities .

The Healthcare issue though, to diverge from the thread really does seem a very thorny issue, generating much heated debate if this forum is anything to go by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.