Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Have Been the Side Effects of Same-Sex Marriage/Civil Unions In Your Area?
I Haven't Noticed Any Effect. 38 55.07%
Our Quality-of-Life Has Decreased. 8 11.59%
Our Quality-of-Life Has Improved. 8 11.59%
I Don't Live in One of the Affected States and Should NOT Weight in on the Issue. 15 21.74%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:59 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times

Advertisements

same sex marriage has ruined my life, just knowing that people that people who absolutly have nothing to do with me are having sex with the same sex, and are committing to eachother is just a hell on earth. How can I spend one more day on this planet. How can I worrie about my own life, my own family, my miserable boss, my sons education, my country at war, the traffic jam I am in every day after work...when some gay people that I don't even know are trying to get married. ITs an outrage. I can see why people spend so much of there valuable time on this. Its damn worth it to solves earths number one problem...that most wanted terrorist...the gay guy down the street, minding his own business.

Hey no one messed with me when I married my wife. Everyone has a right to be happy. Just make sure they are human, and of legal age.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:11 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
hee, hee, hee, well said and to the point !

Old 05-16-2007, 09:47 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,936 times
This statement needs fixing:

Hey no one messed with me when I married my wife. Everyone has a right to be happy.

This is how it should read:

Hey no one messed with me when I married my wife. Everyone has a right to be miserable.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:49 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
This statement needs fixing:

Hey no one messed with me when I married my wife. Everyone has a right to be happy.

This is how it should read:

Hey no one messed with me when I married my wife. Everyone has a right to be miserable.

OK...I will concede your point

Old 05-16-2007, 02:35 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
Did I not state all of this in my post?
No, not really... as another poster said, you still haven't explained HOW this could affect your children. I grew up in the San Francisco area, as did my 2 siblings, and we all turned out just fine and straight - even with my mom's two best friends being gay, in addition to many of our teachers & acquaintances. But somehow we're all successful, well-educated, and mentally stable (well, somewhat - LOL) adults... so I'm still failing to see how gay marriage, or even gay people being "out of the closet" could hurt your children. As long as you raise them right, whatever your definition of that might be, they should turn out okay regardless of who's marrying whom.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
same sex marriage has ruined my life, just knowing that people that people who absolutly have nothing to do with me are having sex with the same sex, and are committing to eachother is just a hell on earth. How can I spend one more day on this planet. How can I worrie about my own life, my own family, my miserable boss, my sons education, my country at war, the traffic jam I am in every day after work...when some gay people that I don't even know are trying to get married. ITs an outrage. I can see why people spend so much of there valuable time on this. Its damn worth it to solves earths number one problem...that most wanted terrorist...the gay guy down the street, minding his own business.

Hey no one messed with me when I married my wife. Everyone has a right to be happy. Just make sure they are human, and of legal age.
Amen to that! But I agree with the correction above... as others have said, "gay people have the right to be miserable too."

Old 05-16-2007, 04:34 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
I'm sure you have something interesting to say, but why say it in orange--it is unreadable and hence unanswerable.

And this is a serious topic, more black!

Or perhaps cyan!

Quote:
Please understand that I enter this post, not with hate, or judgement, but only give a theory to an earlier question asked. It was asked why christians should be concerned with same-sex marriages when it has no affect on their quality-of-life? I think even though quality-of-life may not be affected now, many may be concerned with the affects on their children. I know this may bring up other questions of "How could it affect their children?" Coming from a state that has not legalized same sex marriages, I can say my quality of life probably won't be affected. However, because I have been raised a christian and feel those strong beliefs against homosexuality, I would be worried about the affect to my children if the state legalized these unions. Another poster said that unions will be made whether it is legalized or not and this is true. I can only hope to raise my children with the strong moral beliefs my husband and I have and hope they make the right choices. When I say this I am referring to making the right choices in all aspects of their lives.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:40 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,496 times
I'm sorry ,orange is just my favorite color. I'll try to find one easier to read. I don't like black though. I find it boring. Of course I must wear a lot of black since its said to be slimming.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:55 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No, not really... as another poster said, you still haven't explained HOW this could affect your children. .
Okay, here goes. I'm sure I will take a bashing for my beliefs as seems to be the case with any opinion given, but I have a tough skin and you've asked for the answer so here it is. I don't want my children seeing society accepting homosexuality, because I don't want them to ever get the slightest impression that homosexuality could be considered normal, natural, moral, or acceptable behavior. I've pointed no fingers at anyone, I just answered your question. There are many other controversial issues (abortion, alcohol, drugs, etc.)that our society seems willing to accept, and yes I worry about the type of environment my children are growing up in.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Okay, here goes. I'm sure I will take a bashing for my beliefs as seems to be the case with any opinion given, but I have a tough skin and you've asked for the answer so here it is. I don't want my children seeing society accepting homosexuality, because I don't want them to ever get the slightest impression that homosexuality could be considered normal, natural, moral, or acceptable behavior. I've pointed no fingers at anyone, I just answered your question. There are many other controversial issues (abortion, alcohol, drugs, etc.)that our society seems willing to accept, and yes I worry about the type of environment my children are growing up in.
And I understand that, which is why I said YOU need to instill YOUR values into your children... nobody accepts everything that exists in society, and that's just a fact of life. But you still haven't answered the question - how does it HURT your child? I'm not talking about "morality", I mean actual damage (psychological or physical). I can see the argument against alcohol & drugs, but still have trouble understanding the gay marriage beef. Especially when, as I've pointed out before, homosexuality will still exist regardless - so unless you're suggesting we outlaw them altogether, your argument doesn't hold much water.

And to reiterate a point I've made many times, just because something is allowed to exist, that doesn't mean all of society should or will accept it. Legalizing gay marriage wouldn't automatically make the entire country "accept" it, though I don't really see why that should matter. But really, all it signifies is that the powers-that-be decided it was legally just. Many things I don't agree with are backed by the government, and I'm not really protesting or paranoid about anything. I'm even a mild supporter of gun rights, despite the fact that I hate & fear them greatly... that's because I try not to allow my personal views to cloud logic.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-16-2007 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies