Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Have Been the Side Effects of Same-Sex Marriage/Civil Unions In Your Area?
I Haven't Noticed Any Effect. 38 55.07%
Our Quality-of-Life Has Decreased. 8 11.59%
Our Quality-of-Life Has Improved. 8 11.59%
I Don't Live in One of the Affected States and Should NOT Weight in on the Issue. 15 21.74%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:40 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

P.S. Before anyone says it, of course I'm on the "con" side of certain issues... but only when there's a LOGICAL reason to back my position.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:44 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,382 times
I've led no protests against this group of people. I'm simply answering the question asked in the original post. I've not tried to change anyone's beliefs or cram my religion down anyone's throat. I'm just giving my view and some just can't accept that. I have never asked a gay person why he or she is gay. Why is it so important for you to know why I wish to try my best to protect my children from certain things. Yes, I can't protect them from everything in this world but I can sure try my best. And I'm sure the next question is what do they need protecting from in regards to homosexuality. Well a person would have to share my opinion to understand what I'm protecting my children from.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:48 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
I have no problem with gay marriage.

Gay folks should have the opportunity to be just as miserable as hetero folks are.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:58 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I don't care who marries who or what marries what. I have been too busy for 45 years trying to figure out who I married, and for what

Old 05-16-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
I've led no protests against this group of people. I'm simply answering the question asked in the original post. I've not tried to change anyone's beliefs or cram my religion down anyone's throat. I'm just giving my view and some just can't accept that. I have never asked a gay person why he or she is gay. Why is it so important for you to know why I wish to try my best to protect my children from certain things. Yes, I can't protect them from everything in this world but I can sure try my best. And I'm sure the next question is what do they need protecting from in regards to homosexuality. Well a person would have to share my opinion to understand what I'm protecting my children from.
That's fine, and as I've said, you have every right to that opinion... I (and other people) was simply trying to understand your point of view, and get you to explain the reasoning behind it. That's what a debate is about, after all! I know you aren't personally leading protests, but people with your similar opinions are - and unfortunately this board is the only place to discuss these issues with "your side" (without a fist-fight breaking out, at least).

Old 05-17-2007, 09:05 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
you are totally avoiding the question. can't you come up with any logical reasons as to how this would affect your children? living in texas myself, i see that churches play a big role everywhere here. If we could stop thinking of marriage as a big religious thing and think of it as the civil "contract" that it actually is, that might help. Nobody is asking individual churches to unite gays, just that gov't provide gay partners with protections and rights that others get from that piece of paper as taxpaying citizens.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:44 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Thanks for the cyan type, robinhood, now I can read what you're saying, and must immediately agree with wehotex.

How does a union between two strangers, who may be gay, affect your household, your children or your community.

Are those folks that live next door your friends?

Do you know their habits?

Do you know anyone's sexual behavior behind closed doors?

Did you attend their wedding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
you are totally avoiding the question. can't you come up with any logical reasons as to how this would affect your children? living in texas myself, i see that churches play a big role everywhere here. If we could stop thinking of marriage as a big religious thing and think of it as the civil "contract" that it actually is, that might help. Nobody is asking individual churches to unite gays, just that gov't provide gay partners with protections and rights that others get from that piece of paper as taxpaying citizens.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
And ironically, churches & temples are currently among the few places a gay couple CAN be joined. Many of them offer same-sex ceremonies and celebrations, even though they aren't recognized by the law... I know a few gay couples who've been joined at churches, and now consider themselves married in the emotional sense. So LEGAL marriage has nothing to do with religion, and even if gay marriage were legalized, churches/temples still would be free to decide that for themselves. Heck, my own sister and her husband couldn't even marry at certain Synagogues, since they're an inter-faith couple - and obviously there's no law restricting them from being together.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:01 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,133 times
Of course not ^_~

Old 05-18-2007, 06:30 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
This thread topic: Has Same Sex Marriage Caused Your Quality of Life to Deteriorate is obviously a rhetoric question posed, I'm assuming to prove the posters point of view.

It is assumed that the conservative viewpoint is that legalization of same sex marriage would contribute to the moral decline of our country.
The liberals response is to inquire how would someone elses personal life/homelife affect society.

The problem is that the liberals and conservatives are at odds with what we perceive our country to be, what is good for our country, and where are country is headed. Furthermore, since both groups are convinced they are right it is really a debate going nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies