Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:28 PM

855 posts, read 2,396,329 times

Advertisements

I don't think I'll be buying any for my wife.

Aborted fetus cells used in beauty creams

By Valerie Richardson

A San Francisco cosmetics company has ignited an outcry among pro-lifers for including an unexpected ingredient in its anti-aging creams: skin-cell proteins from an aborted fetus.

Children of God for Life, a watchdog group that monitors the use of fetal material in medical products, called last week for a boycott of all treatments manufactured by Neocutis Inc., which acknowledges that the key ingredient in its product line was developed from an aborted boy.

"There's just no excuse for using aborted babies in skin-care products," said Debi Vinnedge, executive director of Children of God for Life, a 10-year-old organization based in Murfreesboro, Tenn. "The reaction, the shock and anger I've seen is incredible."

In a statement released Friday, in response to a wave of condemnation from pro-life and religious blogs, Neocutis defended the use of its trademarked ingredient, Processed Skin Cell Proteins, or PSP, arguing that the fetal cell line was harvested in a responsible, ethical manner for use in treating severe dermatological injuries.

Aborted fetus cells used in beauty creams - Washington Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 01:31 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Ewwww.

That is gross.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:31 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
I can't wait for the first pro-choice person to come in and advocate for this despicable behavior. Someone, somewhere will come in and tell us that there is nothing wrong with aborting the fetus, so why should there be anything wrong with using the fetus for profit?

Absolutely disgusting.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:33 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
I'm sure glad I married a good looking woman .. no need for dead baby creams here ..

Old 11-04-2009, 01:33 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I can't wait for the first pro-choice person to come in and advocate for this despicable behavior. Someone, somewhere will come in and tell us that there is nothing wrong with aborting the fetus, so why should there be anything wrong with using the fetus for profit?

Absolutely disgusting.
Well,I suppose one could say that at least the fetus wasn't wasted.

It served a purpose instead of being thrown away.....to stop people from looking old.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:35 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,319 times
Leave it to the RW Moonie Times to bring up an issue of such pressing importance.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
This is really stupid. Everyone knows you can't buy youth in a jar you have to visit a plastic surgeon.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
I would have a problem with this if the baby was aborted because the tissue, cells, or protein were needed to make the cosmetic (therefore, aborting the fetus was for that purpose). However, it appears it was not:

Quote:
The ingredient was developed at the University of Lausanne in Switzerland from proteins in the skin tissue of a 14-week-old male baby electively aborted at the university's hospital and donated to the Swiss university. The abortion was deemed medically necessary because the baby could not survive to term, according to Neocutis.
This is similar to when a person dies and donates his/her body to research or organs for transplantation. Of course, the company could be lying about how they obtained the protein.

I personally object to the use of fetal material for profit because, as the article indicates, there are other ways to acquire the protein:

Quote:
...other companies make high-end skin creams using proteins derived from postnatal placentas, which Mrs. Brown called completely morally acceptable to pro-lifers.
However, my objection does not reach a level of outrage as that would be dishonest. In my opinion, if everyone knew every ingredient, process, method, and detail that, for example, went into making the products, devices, and materials we use (in whatever capacity) - and knew how damaging and destructive to the environment those means were, there would be a lot more objections to a lot more things than you see now.

A solution to this problem would be to increase regulations and oversight on the cosmetics industry because right now:

Quote:
...for years, Ms. Vinnedge said, she has heard rumors that some beauty companies use aborted fetal cell lines in their products, but she's never been able to confirm it because the Food and Drug Administration doesn't require the listing of cosmetic ingredients.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:47 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,756 times
I actually new this for a while. It's also used in some vaccines. How sad.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:49 PM

346 posts, read 407,826 times
So women are smearing dead babies and "Texas Tea" all over their faces?? What next cats??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies