Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,991 times

Advertisements

....are we getting too much bad information and news? Or is news being disseminated too efficiently throughout the world nowadays?

Maybe I was naive and not paying attention growing up in the 70s and 80s but I don't remember things being this gloomy, at least for the US:

economic gloom
environmental doom
terrorism
bio-weapons (via viruses and vaccines)
school shootings
children murdering children
kidnappings and rapes
increasing rates of depression and mental health issues

Perhaps people who grew up in the 50's could tell me and give me a sense of objectivity. Are things getting worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 09:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
....are we getting too much bad information and news? Or is news being disseminated too efficiently throughout the world nowadays?

Maybe I was naive and not paying attention growing up in the 70s and 80s but I don't remember things being this gloomy, at least for the US:

economic gloom
environmental doom
terrorism
school shootings
kidnappings and rapes

Perhaps people who grew up in the 50's could tell me and give me a sense of objectivity. Are things getting worse?
Your answer is 24/7 TV which wasn't in existence back then.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:49 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:

economic gloom
environmental doom
terrorism
school shootings
kidnappings and rapes

No one in the 50's could imagine the barbarism of today's world.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
You forgot to mention AIDS virus and West Nile and Bird Flue and Swine Flue. etc.

Quote:

economic gloom
environmental doom
terrorism
school shootings
kidnappings and rapes

Old 11-04-2009, 09:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
So the Nazi Holocaust was not barbarism. Okay, that is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post

Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
I think those American veterans who had liberated Dachau and Buchenwald didn't NEED to IMAGINE barbarism.

The world is no more barbaric today than any other time. The modern instant media that broadcasts it 24/7 just make us all more aware of it.

Ken

Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
So the Nazi Holocaust was not barbarism. Okay, that is great.
What Holocaust?

Signed,
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Old 11-04-2009, 10:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You forgot to mention AIDS virus and West Nile and Bird Flue and Swine Flue. etc.
Those diseases are "amatures" compared the old standby malaria - which STILL infects 350-500 MILLION people a year - and KILLS roughly a MILLION.

Some things never seem to change.

Ken

Old 11-04-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I think that many of us knew about that barbarism from the Korean War. Also, there was plenty of that very thing during the days of the 2nd World War. China was very barbarically treated by Japan as were all those people in the islands of the Pacific and other parts of Asia. I don't think many today would be glad to see the plain barbarism of the Americans using flame throwers to drive Japanese soldiers out of caves on some of those islands. In fact, if our people had been able to see 24/7 kind of reporting about the outright barbarism of both the Japanese and the Americans on some of those islands I am sure they would have forced us out of that theater before the war ended.

In speaking of barbarism, how about the use of the nuclear weapons on Japan? I was never against that but I was only 12 years old then and didn't see those bombs as so bad as long as they weren't used on the US. I still think it was the thing to do and have always respected Harry Truman for what he did there and for going to Korea before the UN had time to debate going as thoroughly as they did in the end.

Do you not know about the barbarism of the Catholics and the Muslims as they fought for territory and said it was religious? Barbarism has always been involved in warfare and always will be.

With 24/7 TV at any of the times I mentioned the people on both sides would have seen things they never did really know about until it was too late. Yep, it is TV and of the 24/7 variety. I guess Ted Turner and the others are to blame.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Those diseases are "amatures" compared the old standby malaria - which STILL infects 350-500 MILLION people a year - and KILLS roughly a MILLION.

Some things never seem to change.

Ken
We were well along with the destruction of the mosquitoes back in the 50s and then the environmentalists got involved. We must kill the carriers if we are to eradicate malaria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies