Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:46 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Not just manufacturing jobs leaving, even "white collar" jobs like financial analysts, paralegal work (the cost of an American paralegal salary pays for TEN Indian lawyers with J.D.'s), etc etc. I have friends in the art gallery business and they are shutting down. Why? Because they can't compete with IMPORTED paintings from China!

Should we all lower our wages? Who's going to be the first one?
I used to know people in Michigan who worked and operated machine shops and turned out small parts for the big 3 automakers, and they did make concessions, and did take pay cuts, in order to remain open and operational, but company/corporate owners decided to buy chinese junk (no pun intended) which was cheaper than buy raw materials and machining it here in the USA.

Just because people make concessions and take pay cuts? It's no guarantee the job will still be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 04:33 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
We could stop taxing the hell out of our local businesses and companies so it would be attractive to do business here. You can't expect them to just stay around even though the tax rates make it almost impossible to turn a profit. It costs a lot of money to move offshore. They'd MUCH prefer to stay here, but the government needs to make it attractive.
Local businesses can't compete with the Wal Marts of the world.

In addition, if a business is making a profit, usually, unless the owner has ties to an area, the business will up and move at the possibility for more profit. Its never enough.

I see local governments trying to make things attractive to get businesses to build or relocate near them. It doesn't make sense because in the meantime a lot of these businesses wreck the environment they're in or they wreck the local infrastructure and never have to pay a dime into the damage they do. I've heard about communities that try to get Wal Marts built in their area and offer a 50 year tax exemption. WTF?? Do they realize they're digging a hole for themselves?

If we want to help small businesses and local businesses, lets start taxing dividends at an appropriate rate. Lets start implementing high tariffs on imports. We've got 9 trillion dollars of pre Obama debt to get rid of, unless we want every bridge to collapse, and frequent power outages like in 2004, then we should start thinking about how we're going to pay for things.

For the record I'm fine with business owners making a fair profit, but stockholders no. I think Wall Street has gotten us into too many messes and we'd be a lot better off if we'd downsize all of corporate America.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:53 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
anyone who doesn't think taxes and regulations are the #1 reason why American born businesses move offshore are simply illogical, uninformed, uneducated idiots...

1st thing you do to keep businesses here, and to get some to move back, and create way more new ones is to- GET RID OF INCOME TAX , Both individual and corporate

2nd thing you do is create reasonable tariffs so the companies here can actually sell their products to Americans at the same price or lower than China (other countries) goods...

And for you uninformed buffoons.. the US didn't have an income tax until 1913, the gov't was smaller prior to then, and most of the gov't revenues came from tariffs... the income tax is detrimental to a free society, decreases willingness to growth, and is also very immoral.. Also, the new tariffs that we can impose would benefit American companies and take place of our income taxes..

If you fail to recognize those things , than you simply want to continue the unemployment rates and businesses going overseas.
I agree with you on the tariffs. I'm fine with getting rid of income tax IF all workers are unionized so corporate owners can't drive their wages down OR there is a set minimum wage reflective of local cost of living. Business owners have to compromise like the rest of us. Or they can just move to China and own their business there, and someone else here can just fill in their void in the economy.

In a nation of 300 million. No one is inexpendable. That includes business owners.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:04 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Talk is cheap and so are Americans. I hate outsourcing but how many Americans would be willing to pay more money for an American made product? We are cheap. Look at all the people who shop at Wal-Mart so they can save 10 cents on an item.

How many people are buying American cars? Cash for Clunkers just made Japanese automakers a lot of money.

Americans will always buy a foreign product to save money rather than being loyal and buying local products even if it costs more.

This is the typical hypocrisy and double standard we live by. We whine about outsourcing but then we are the first to buy a foreign product to save money.

The only solution is for companies to deliberately make products in the United States and advertise that their product was made here! If people buy those products out of patriotism, other companies will follow. That's the only solution because the government has no power to limit outsourcing...none at all

Old 11-06-2009, 06:22 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post

I know i don't sound optimistic but just exactly what can we do that NO ONE IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY can do? (P.S. We can't all work for the government!)

We can deregulate the financial markets so that scammers disguised as investment bankers can sell empty derivatives to unsuspecting investors, reap huge bonuses, and let the resulting chaos wreck the world economy.

NO ONE
does it better.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
We can deregulate the financial markets so that scammers disguised as investment bankers can sell empty derivatives to unsuspecting investors, reap huge bonuses, and let the resulting chaos wreck the world economy.

NO ONE does it better.
Been there, done that.
Haven't you noticed?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:11 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Local businesses can't compete with the Wal Marts of the world.

In addition, if a business is making a profit, usually, unless the owner has ties to an area, the business will up and move at the possibility for more profit. Its never enough.

I see local governments trying to make things attractive to get businesses to build or relocate near them. It doesn't make sense because in the meantime a lot of these businesses wreck the environment they're in or they wreck the local infrastructure and never have to pay a dime into the damage they do. I've heard about communities that try to get Wal Marts built in their area and offer a 50 year tax exemption. WTF?? Do they realize they're digging a hole for themselves?

If we want to help small businesses and local businesses, lets start taxing dividends at an appropriate rate. Lets start implementing high tariffs on imports. We've got 9 trillion dollars of pre Obama debt to get rid of, unless we want every bridge to collapse, and frequent power outages like in 2004, then we should start thinking about how we're going to pay for things.

For the record I'm fine with business owners making a fair profit, but stockholders no. I think Wall Street has gotten us into too many messes and we'd be a lot better off if we'd downsize all of corporate America.
A. Walmart WAS a small business that grew into a large company because the owner was smart and worked hard.

B. Yes, businesses compete EVERY DAY with Walmart and do just fine. If what you said was true, there would be no stores other than Walmart. Not all businesses will grow into billion dollar corporations, but many area incredibly successful.

C. Stockholders ARE owners. Why should they invest and support businesses if they don't get a return.

This post shows you have no idea of the real world and how it works.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:28 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,071 times
Quote:
This post shows you have no idea of the real world and how it works
Untrue.
Quote:
I think Wall Street has gotten us into too many messes and we'd be a lot better off if we'd downsize all of corporate America.
True.

During the great depression, it was Wall St. that helped get banks and people into fine messes. History does have an ugly way of repeating itself.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:20 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Untrue.

True.

During the great depression, it was Wall St. that helped get banks and people into fine messes. History does have an ugly way of repeating itself.
Well as long as you have a solid argument...

Old 11-06-2009, 01:30 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
The amazing thing is that we are offering even MORE visas for foreign workers even with the 10% unemployment... cheaper labor... if we mandated that every foreign worker be paid 10% more than the US worker, I suspect companies would start hiring American workers... Its not a shortage of workers, its a technique to increase profits... it was never about the workers...

I find it odd that on CNN that they report an abundance of good jobs but not enough candidates... they go on to say they receive a BOATLOAD of applications for these jobs but no qualified candidate... they even write about a 30k-40k for a RN nurse with experience... huh? A RN nurse makes close to 100k and you wonder why nobody has filled that position for 30-40k? Huh? Are you stupid or something? Is CNN stupid for not realizing that salary is complete rip-off?? Then go on to say that other positions are available for experienced nurses but they only get newly graduated nurses applying for the job.... huh?? Again, is the writer completely idiotic? If you are a nurse with experience, you are employed... duh, why would you be unemployed? The new nurse graduates need jobs, so what is the problem? Then the writer has the audacity to mention a manufacturing director of lead whatever and says they can't find one... uhh... how many people do that kind of stuff? A dozen? You think you can find one with that kind of experience "just like that"??? The article was so retarded, it comes down to the premise, there aren't ANY jobs out there for regular people.... start writing an article about a job that requires a person that has walked on the moon before and complaining that there aren't enough qualified people is a joke....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies