Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
News, 75 Percent of Young Americans Are Unfit for Military Duty.

GOOD!!!!

If nobody can be sent to war...maybe it will stop....seems to be the only way....
Boy, what a lousy attitude you have: I hope you eat your words someday.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 12:05 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
I was over weight when I joined the Army.

Basic training does wonders at getting kids into shape.

I didn't hear of anybody getting turned away from the military for being obese, only if they had other health problems. If after basic you still couldn't pass a physical training test, then maybe you would be discharged.

Don't get me wrong, I think kids are way to fat, but it isn't like they are turning away every kid that has a bit of a belly. Hell, the military is good for them, and they will find themselves in the best shape of their life after enlisting.

Second that!

YouTube - John Candy in Stripes

Old 11-05-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
I would agree if not for a couple of factors. First, weight. I was in the Army and can tell you how many people had issues with the height/weight standards. Now out in the civilian world, I can tell you that at least 25% of the people I see daily are what we called in the Army "fat bodies". Without some weight loss, they would not qualify for enlistment.

Secondly, I live in a school district that graduates only about 73% of the students. That's 27% right there that, unless they obtain a GED, are ineligible for enlistment. This might not be the case in a more affluent area but in my city and a lot of other cities and even rural districts, it's not unheard of to have such a dropout rate. The Census Bureau claims that nationally, only 85% of people over 25 have a high school diploma.

As for crime, I still believe that most kids are basically good and manage to avoid trouble with the law. However, something like 1/3 of kids admit to having experimented with some type of illegal drug. That admission alone makes one ineligible for service.

I won't even get into medical issues. Not too long ago, you may have had 1 or 2 kids in a class with asthma. Nowadays, half the class puffs on an inhaler. Diabetes, hypertension, ect., used to be things that only adults had. Now it's not uncommon at all to hear of kids with these issues.

Of course, the military makes a number of exceptions every year for folks that are otherwise ineligible. Of that 75% that the military claims is unfit for duty, a substantial number will receive waivers for things that I mentioned above.

Of the 25% that are eligible, how many are encouraged to go to college? That speaks to a larger issue: the devaluing of military service in our society. Not too long ago, everyone knew someone in the military. If you were male, you were expected to do some time in the military unless you had a good excuse not to. Now, only 1% serve.
That does not account for 75% of our youth by any stretch of our imagination.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:06 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
It is distressing that this is true! But on a brighter side, my business is booming because of it.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I don't know what it means....

No women have ever died or been mutilated in war?

Men fight wars with their penis's?

They wear boxers, not briefs?
What do you mean, no women have ever been mutilated or died in war?

Nita

Old 11-05-2009, 12:09 PM
obo

916 posts, read 985,940 times
The same percentage is also unfit to vote.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
yes but they have a wonderful get fit program.
US army 2nd to none.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Welcomme to the idiocracy

Old 11-05-2009, 12:20 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,746 times
Two quick points.

Data, available to the public from the CDC and at least the Army's G1 reports show the number is actually higher than 75%. Yes. All of our youth who are between 18-24 and eligible as a citizen, naturalized citizen or resident alien are included. You can argue with that 75% all day, but there's no organization out there that keeps better data on this that I can find.

Second, many of you posted "the military will get fat people in shape." This is proven time and time again to be untrue and risky. Let's say you bring a guy in at 26% body fat who is 21. Fine. He as to get down too much in too short a time not to get flagged after training when reporting to his first unity. Some do get down, many don't and they are in trouble from day 1 upon reporting to "work." Others go from 26% at 21, down to 20% after training then get booted a year later back up at 28% body fat. I've seen it dozens and dozens of times just post 9-11 (and I retired in 07)

So if 26% body fat is high risk, you're saying the disgusting fat bodies at 28% and higher can somehow get "in shape" over a few months of training. They can't. These guys and gals that are sqeaking in now have bigger problems with injuries and making the fitness test scores needed. Going bigger just excuses failure. That's why the standards are what they are (lower than they should be). That's why 3/4 of the kids couldn't serve if they wanted.

This is about number 10 on a huge list of dire warning signs about our current population, yet people want to argue where the data came from and point out they should let fat slobs in and work them down. Sheesh.

to add, it's not all fat, but most of it is:

•Medical/physical problems, 35 percent (fat kids are here).

•Illegal drug use, 18 percent.

•Mental Category V (the lowest 10 percent of the population), 9 percent.

•Too many dependents under age 18, 6 percent.

•Criminal record, 5 percent.

Last edited by caution; 11-05-2009 at 12:29 PM..

Old 11-05-2009, 12:36 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Then we would be open for an invasion from those nations and peoples who are our enemies. Such people do not respect wimpy wishy washy diplomacy. They respect power and authority.
How true, I have it on good authority the Taliban Navy, as we speak, is having thousands of amphibious assault ships built in Chinese shipyards and that their 3 Division Airborne Corp is winding up training at Russian Bases.

Good thing the Brazilians are behind schedule on that 1500 fighter contract, although I have heard the Iranian AF is transferring all their troop transports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies