Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2009, 10:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I wonder at what point in his career he became radical.
Maybe he always was. Apparently he was trying use psychiatry as some kind of mind control he could play on the soldiers. He may have always had his "agenda". He might have become frustrated that his mind control approach wasn't working, he wasn't making many converts. He didn't want to be sent to the ME -- yet he's the idiot who signed up for military service. He probably figured they'd play by his rules the whole time, never thought he would be sent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 10:04 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDuds View Post
Firstly, I am not being insensitive to the happenings at Ft. Hood.. my heart goes out to the victims and families of all involved.
Secondly, supposedly, there were 300 soldier in this room/building.. 300 ! All well trained and most awaiting deployment to Iraq/Afghanistan. We read the shooter reloaded his weapons which would take approximately 5 seconds to load a new magazine into a handgun and the shooter would have to look at his weapon to do this. Hence, he looks away from his victims. I have a real problem with the lack of 'soldiering' in this issue. With 300 to 1 odds, one would think one or more of the well trained soldiers would have made an attempt to take this shooter down.
I am well aware how fear and terror can diminish skills to a point but only to a point.. these are America's trained military and this leaves me wondering.
[MOD CUT]

It does not take an experienced shooter 5 seconds to pop in a new magazine, and the shooter decides when he has a window of opportunity to reload before the nearest victim could get to him.

You do not know how many loaded weapons the shooter had, nor do you know the particulars of what transpired.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-07-2009 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Leave it to the mods to determine "trollish"

Old 11-07-2009, 10:05 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Would you try jumping someone who you suspect could do this?

YouTube - First Time On The AR15 - Double Tap, Reload, Double Tap

YouTube - Hoffners Pistol Speed Reload

...and these folks are civis.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,364 times
It does not bode well for the average citizen if the military personnel (and I am also not being insensitive because this event has broken my heart) could not react to the shooting. I know what first instincts are, I agree, but at a certain point you have to know that to not rush the shooter, and he had to reload, means a lot more deaths, and maybe your own. I'm definitely not second guessing but my thought is that when it all comes out, I'm sure there will have been soldiers who rushed this guy in an attempt to bring him down.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
It took place in a medical center, one of the few places on base where no one is armed... Had the soldiers been all around him, I'm sure they would have jumped him. If the nearest were several feet away, it would be certain death to charge a man shooting. He had 20 round clips. It doesn't take long to change a clip, perhaps a seond or two. would you like to be the one to take a chance..?
Also, it was such a surprise, it would take a few seconds to even realize what was happening.
The interviewed a mother who was talking to her son on the phone. He was in that room, and mom heard to pops over the phone. She aske him what that was, and at the time, he didn't know. A large room, packed with people, you hear a few pops and probably don't even pay attention at first.. Those shots aren't loud in a huge room. I'm sure many in the room didn't heard the shots or realize what they were.
The solders might have been more on guard had they been in a war zone, you don't expect such things in the doctors office...!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:11 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDuds View Post
Firstly, I am not being insensitive to the happenings at Ft. Hood.. my heart goes out to the victims and families of all involved.
Secondly, supposedly, there were 300 soldier in this room/building.. 300 ! All well trained and most awaiting deployment to Iraq/Afghanistan. We read the shooter reloaded his weapons which would take approximately 5 seconds to load a new magazine into a handgun and the shooter would have to look at his weapon to do this. Hence, he looks away from his victims. I have a real problem with the lack of 'soldiering' in this issue. With 300 to 1 odds, one would think one or more of the well trained soldiers would have made an attempt to take this shooter down.
I am well aware how fear and terror can diminish skills to a point but only to a point.. these are America's trained military and this leaves me wondering.
I wasn't there so I won't pass judgement. Information I got was that he was shot while reloading which only leaves the excessive number of casualties to explain

Old 11-07-2009, 10:15 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This issue shouldn't be taken lightly. The Columbine murders, the Virginia Tech shooter and this person all felt like they had been picked on and were outsiders or rejected people. Bullying is not okay. As we can see, it can lead to a lot of anger and angry people can commit atrocious acts.

Azriverfan, what you just said is 100% spot on. However, our society does not promote this concept at all. Our society promotes imagined differences. Bullying in our society will never ever stop until human beings start to refer to themselves strictly as human beings.

As long as we continue to legislate unfair/unjust laws with the sole intent to divide and conquer individuals this societal problem will never go away. We will always continue to promote it.

Until people can sit in the same room and be completely oblivious to another human beings slight differences due to race, gender, sexual orientation, nation of origin, clothing, and any other slight difference, that is enlarged to divide, you will always have bullies. Our society promotes and applauds bullies. It doesn't matter if they're in the school yard or in a corporate office it is promoted. Bullies are nothing more than overseers that want individuals to fall inline with their leaders societal norms.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:16 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They do not train our troops to peform unarmed 'human wave' attacks against armed enemies.
And their training effectively keeps them from acting outside their training.

Group lobotomy.

Then, there was the shock effect of the shooter's possibly casual actions - by the time 10 soldiers said WTF, they were dead.

Sgt. Munley, on the other hand, acted as an individual, instinctually to the situation, bypassing her "training protocols".

She acted more as a warrior than a soldier. Kool!

Too bad she wasn't at Columbine. She might have fatally wounded Michael Moore's movie.

I'm glad she bypassed the rules of engagement.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:20 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They do not train our troops to peform unarmed 'human wave' attacks against armed enemies.

Obviously, they should.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:25 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
And their training effectively keeps them from acting outside their training.

Group lobotomy.

Then, there was the shock effect of the shooter's possibly casual actions - by the time 10 soldiers said WTF, they were dead.

Sgt. Munley, on the other hand, acted as an individual, instinctually to the situation, bypassing her "training protocols".

She acted more as a warrior than a soldier. Kool!

Too bad she wasn't at Columbine. She might have fatally wounded Michael Moore's movie.

I'm glad she bypassed the rules of engagement.

She had special training 'specifically ' for these types of attacks .

She was a brave lady and saved no telling how many lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies