Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:26 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,434,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If I stay employed or retire I have health insurance. If I am laid off I lose it. I do not like this situation. I believe we need Universal Health Care system, paid for by a progressive income tax, for everyone, employed or not. We do not need a greed driven private health insurance industry dedicated to denying coverage whenever possible despite the legality of their actions.

Well I agree with the idea but not with the plan to pay for it. There are way to many people that either do not work or do not pay income tax. The burden would be left on the middle class of which simply can not afford anymore taxes. I have no problem with the OPTION of a universal health plan but we need to ensure that businesses will not drop private coverage for their employees and we need to find a way to pay for it.

Show me a comprehensive plan that will accomplish those two things and I would be much more open to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,768,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Well I agree with the idea but not with the plan to pay for it. There are way to many people that either do not work or do not pay income tax. The burden would be left on the middle class of which simply can not afford anymore taxes. I have no problem with the OPTION of a universal health plan but we need to ensure that businesses will not drop private coverage for their employees and we need to find a way to pay for it.

Show me a comprehensive plan that will accomplish those two things and I would be much more open to it.
Quote:
HR 676 Would Reduce Overall Healthcare Costs

Families Pay Less

A study by nationally recognized economist, Dean Baker, of the Center for Economic Research and Policy concluded that under H.R. 676, a family of three making $40,000 per year would spend approximately $1900 per year for healthcare coverage. Currently, (in 2007) the average annual premium for families covered under an employee health plan is $11,000. (National Coalition on Health Care.)
Businesses Pays Less

In 2005, without reform, the average employer that offers coverage was contributing $2,600 to healthcare per employee (for much skimpier benefits), or 217.00 per month. Under HR 676, the average costs to employers for an employee making $30,000 per year will be reduced to $1,425 per year; or about $119.00 per month.
Baker’s study reported that HR 676 would reduce health spending in 2005 from $1 trillion, 918 billion dollars to 1 trillion, 861.3 billion dollars, which translates into a saving of $56 billion in overall healthcare spending while covering all of the uninsured. This is a 3% reduction in over-all healthcare spending.
Proposed Funding For HR 676 Program

Maintain current federal and state funding for existing healthcare programs; employer payroll tax of 4.5%, an employee payroll tax of 3.3%, in addition to the already existing 1.45% for Medicare; establish a 5% health tax on the top 5% of income earners; 10% tax on top 1% of wage earners, 1/3rd of 1% stock transaction tax, closing corporate tax loop-holes; repeal the Bush tax cut for the highest income earners.

http://www.healthcare-now.org/hr-676/

Old 11-06-2009, 07:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,505,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I'm so disgusted..

This Rep rattles off the name of all those that are dead due to lack of insurance and thereby access to health care and the Republicans try to shut him up. When he wouldn't.. the end the session on the floor..

Disgusting!! I lose respect for the Republicans party every day!

YouTube - Republicans Attempt to Cut Off Rep. Alan Grayson's Speech

most people know he is an idiot and I would believe about 1/10 of this, if that much...I am amazed anyone would fall for this crap...

Of course their are some who have died without insurance, not because they didn't have it..There are those who die daily with insurance cause they do not listen to their doctors or do not seek medical care when needed. Who's fault is that. As humans and adults, we are responsible for what happens to us in most cases..

Nita

Old 11-06-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Oh yeah I'll be glad when this guy is no longer in office
So will our daughter in the Orlando area...

Nita

Old 11-06-2009, 07:58 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,434,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

Thank you but this does not tell me what will stop companies from dropping private health insurance for their employees AND what about all those that do not pay income or do not work.

What many do not understand is that there are simply not enough "rich" people to tax. I also disagree strongly with taxing stock transactions we already pay a tax on profits and capital gains. Why would people want to invest in stocks if they will be taxed so harshly on it. Also no where in the link does it say what will prevent companies from dropping insurance. It simply says the cost would go down but the cost would be gone and all the company has to do is drop it altogether.

Also this is not the bill that the CBO has right now so I am not sure how accurate it is.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:02 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,002,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
most people know he is an idiot and I would believe about 1/10 of this, if that much...I am amazed anyone would fall for this crap...

Of course their are some who have died without insurance, not because they didn't have it..There are those who die daily with insurance cause they do not listen to their doctors or do not seek medical care when needed. Who's fault is that. As humans and adults, we are responsible for what happens to us in most cases..

Nita
LOL.. okay Nita.. where is YOUR information to back up YOUR claim

BTW.. someone was kind enough to provide a link of names to go with all the numbers this "idiot" as you referred to him , was rattling off..

Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
LOL.. okay Nita.. where is YOUR information to back up YOUR claim

BTW.. someone was kind enough to provide a link of names to go with all the numbers this "idiot" as you referred to him , was rattling off..
What cliam, the one that says he is an idiot?? I guess I should have said, anyone who has seen him on TV and falls for his garbage appears to be an idiot; my opinion!!! and I have seen him a couple of times. At best he is an arrogant slob and worst,well I can't think of how to discribe him...

And now I am out of here for the day, spending the day with hubby, doing fun things, almost as much fun as arguing with a bunch of libs. I am not talking about all democrats, just the liberal extremists...
Nita

Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,768,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Thank you but this does not tell me what will stop companies from dropping private health insurance for their employees AND what about all those that do not pay income or do not work.

What many do not understand is that there are simply not enough "rich" people to tax. I also disagree strongly with taxing stock transactions we already pay a tax on profits and capital gains. Why would people want to invest in stocks if they will be taxed so harshly on it. Also no where in the link does it say what will prevent companies from dropping insurance. It simply says the cost would go down but the cost would be gone and all the company has to do is drop it altogether.

Also this is not the bill that the CBO has right now so I am not sure how accurate it is.
The point is H.R. 676 is that there is no private health insurance. We don't NEED private health insurance.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:42 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,002,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What cliam, the one that says he is an idiot?? I guess I should have said, anyone who has seen him on TV and falls for his garbage appears to be an idiot; my opinion!!! and I have seen him a couple of times. At best he is an arrogant slob and worst,well I can't think of how to discribe him...

And now I am out of here for the day, spending the day with hubby, doing fun things, almost as much fun as arguing with a bunch of libs. I am not talking about all democrats, just the liberal extremists...
Nita

I'm talking about your claim that people are dying from not listening to their doctors..LOL.. which, BTw..those that do not have health insurance usually do not have a regular doctor for which to listen. .BECAUSE they do not have health insurance.

As to whether that guy is an idiot or not, I really don't know or don't care. Don't know him, never seen him on TV. A friends sent me the video.. WHO is up there reading it is NOT what is imporant.. BUT WHAT he was saying is.. hey..I would feel the same way about it if it was a Republican standing up there giving the numbers of dead district by district and someone was tyring to shut him up. Also, whether he is an idiot or not does not factor in to whether what he was saying was right or wrong.. because he has the FACTS to back up what he was saying, as was referenced in an above post by another poster nice enough to find the actual NAMES of people that went along with those numbers he was reading.

Have a nice day now... BTW..I'm not an extremist in any way shape or form. I am a person that is all about Balance ...as life is about balance.. But I guess someone that is on the far rigth (if you indeed are) would think I was the extreme left.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:44 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,251,312 times
How do you prove that they died from not having insurance? How about how they conducted their entire lives? How do you know they could have afforded insurance all along but didn't try to buy any till it was too late? How do you know if they smoked all the time or drank or ate fatty foods? How do you prove it was insurance and insurance alone that killed them and not a lifelong pattern of decision making that got them where they are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies