Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:35 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I'm so disgusted..

This Rep rattles off the name of all those that are dead due to lack of insurance and thereby access to health care and the Republicans try to shut him up. When he wouldn't.. the end the session on the floor..

Disgusting!! I lose respect for the Republicans party every day!

YouTube - Republicans Attempt to Cut Off Rep. Alan Grayson's Speech

Talk about idiots in the house...YIKES...he is a fruit loop...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 06:41 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
actually, that is the problem, no one really knows what is in the bill!!! We can just speculate from what we have and haven't heard. We do know the President wants to cut billions from medicare to help pay for whatever we end up with...

Nita
ThAt is wrong. House bill unveiled last week is online to read. I'm reading it.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:24 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
The other poster may be referring to the Senate Bill -

Old 11-07-2009, 08:28 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
TM,

what the 'house' bill says will end up meaning nothing

that bill "may" pass the house, then it has to go to the senate, where they will negotiate/reconcile/merger between the SENATE bill and the HOUSE bill,,then the merged bill has to go back to the house for a vote, IF it passes it goes to the senate for a FINAL vote, if it passes it will go to the POTUS for signature/veto.

there are currently about 10 bills between the house and the senate, and none of them lower the actual medical costs, and from what I have been able to read and figure out in all the extra wording (these things are way to long), they will HURT THE MIDDLECLASS, more than the middleclass has been hurt already in the last 20 years

WHY do NONE of them address the ABUSIVE PHONEY medical lawsuits (not the legit law suits)(tort reform)........why because 3/4 of congress is LAWYERS

Old 11-07-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
TM,

what the 'house' bill says will end up meaning nothing

that bill "may" pass the house, then it has to go to the senate, where they will negotiate/reconcile/merger between the SENATE bill and the HOUSE bill,,then the merged bill has to go back to the house for a vote, IF it passes it goes to the senate for a FINAL vote, if it passes it will go to the POTUS for signature/veto.

there are currently about 10 bills between the house and the senate, and none of them lower the actual medical costs, and from what I have been able to read and figure out in all the extra wording (these things are way to long), they will HURT THE MIDDLECLASS, more than the middleclass has been hurt already in the last 20 years

WHY do NONE of them address the ABUSIVE PHONEY medical lawsuits (not the legit law suits)(tort reform)........why because 3/4 of congress is LAWYERS
I am aware that there are many bills. There are certain bills that are at the forefront. The current one at the forefront that has all the things I mentioned above is the one that the House put out last week. It is here: http://docs.house.gov/rules/health/111_ahcaa.pdf

Of course I am aware that it is now being debated in the House and amendmens are being proposed to add to the bill. However, the meat and potatoes of it won't neccesarily change,unless something is completely removed as opposed to altered.

Either way ,it is up for people to read and we have been told that the final amended version will be made available 72 hours before it comes to a vote.

I don't see it as hurting the middle class in the long run. That is a matter of opinion and from my perspective this helps the middle class. Right at the center of middle class is a $56K income. $250K is NOT a middle class income family at all. I see, however, the middle class being hurt NOW NOT by the government but by private industry and in regards to health care and access to it, I see them being hurt by private insurance companies.

The bill I am referring to does many things, for one, it limits out of pocket expenditures for families. A huge problem with health insurance now is that in order to beat down the monthly premiums (because they are too expensive) they get a higher deductible, however they can not meet their medical needs because the deductible is also hard for them to meet. Now, i understand that you may say, well it makes the premium lower and now it will be more, that may be true, however, with mandated health insurance you will have more people purchasing insurance (and you have subsidies available for those that can't afford the full monthly premiums).

It lifts pre-existing condition clauses so that people like myself do not end up in a perpetual uninsured cycle. It sets minimum standards of coverage so that we do not have the problem of under insurance, which leads to so many who do have insurance ending up NOT being covered when they thought they were being covered and declaring bankruptcy. It prevents insurance companies from continuing practices that allows them to dump insured individuals when they need insurance the most.

With mandates, it lowers the rate of uninsured and thereby lowers the rate of uncompensated care, which in turn makes everything else more expensive.

I agree that tort reform needs to be added and even commented that I'm not surprised it's not included .. I even said I knew it wouldn't be probably because those writing the bills, ie: our reps, are mostly all attorneys. Yes, TORT reform is severely missing from just about all the bills. The ones that DO include a tort reform are missing too much to make that remotely affective. I've said this before that it needs to be addressed (the issue) from ALL angles, INCLUDING tort reform.

Is this bill perfect. No, but it is the most comprehensive bill that attacks more fronts of the issue than any bill ever proposed and that should go a very long way to fixing the problem in this country.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:00 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
I am aware that there are many bills. There are certain bills that are at the forefront. The current one at the forefront that has all the things I mentioned above is the one that the House put out last week. It is here: http://docs.house.gov/rules/health/111_ahcaa.pdf

Of course I am aware that it is now being debated in the House and amendmens are being proposed to add to the bill. However, the meat and potatoes of it won't neccesarily change,unless something is completely removed as opposed to altered.

Either way ,it is up for people to read and we have been told that the final amended version will be made available 72 hours before it comes to a vote.

I don't see it as hurting the middle class in the long run. That is a matter of opinion and from my perspective this helps the middle class. Right at the center of middle class is a $56K income. $250K is NOT a middle class income family at all. I see, however, the middle class being hurt NOW NOT by the government but by private industry and in regards to health care and access to it, I see them being hurt by private insurance companies.

The bill I am referring to does many things, for one, it limits out of pocket expenditures for families. A huge problem with health insurance now is that in order to beat down the monthly premiums (because they are too expensive) they get a higher deductible, however they can not meet their medical needs because the deductible is also hard for them to meet. Now, i understand that you may say, well it makes the premium lower and now it will be more, that may be true, however, with mandated health insurance you will have more people purchasing insurance (and you have subsidies available for those that can't afford the full monthly premiums).

It lifts pre-existing condition clauses so that people like myself do not end up in a perpetual uninsured cycle. It sets minimum standards of coverage so that we do not have the problem of under insurance, which leads to so many who do have insurance ending up NOT being covered when they thought they were being covered and declaring bankruptcy. It prevents insurance companies from continuing practices that allows them to dump insured individuals when they need insurance the most.

With mandates, it lowers the rate of uninsured and thereby lowers the rate of uncompensated care, which in turn makes everything else more expensive.

I agree that tort reform needs to be added and even commented that I'm not surprised it's not included .. I even said I knew it wouldn't be probably because those writing the bills, ie: our reps, are mostly all attorneys. Yes, TORT reform is severely missing from just about all the bills. The ones that DO include a tort reform are missing too much to make that remotely affective. I've said this before that it needs to be addressed (the issue) from ALL angles, INCLUDING tort reform.

Is this bill perfect. No, but it is the most comprehensive bill that attacks more fronts of the issue than any bill ever proposed and that should go a very long way to fixing the problem in this country.

Thank you posting this.

I don't have time to read it right now but does it say how it will be paid for in it? Does it give a specific numbers? I see the numbers you posted I wanted to know where you can up with those?

Old 11-07-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Thank you posting this.

I don't have time to read it right now but does it say how it will be paid for in it? Does it give a specific numbers? I see the numbers you posted I wanted to know where you can up with those?

You're welcome.

I didn't post any numbers about cost.. I did , however, post FACTS about the difference between private insurance companies and things like medicaid/medicare (thier overhead administrative costs) I never gave specific numbers.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:00 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
You're welcome.

I didn't post any numbers about cost.. I did , however, post FACTS about the difference between private insurance companies and things like medicaid/medicare (thier overhead administrative costs) I never gave specific numbers.

Sorry I thought it was you. I would like to know how this plan will be paid for? Details not the "we will cut medicare fraud". Who will be paying and how much will we be paying. Does anyone have that information?

Old 11-08-2009, 05:03 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Sorry I thought it was you. I would like to know how this plan will be paid for? Details not the "we will cut medicare fraud". Who will be paying and how much will we be paying. Does anyone have that information?
I'm interested in that myself. I still haven't received a satisfactory answer from any source - I'm not sure that anyone knows. But I would really like to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
I would be curious to know how that data was qualified? Did he call the names of some who might have died even if they did have insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies