Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 AM

301 posts, read 208,470 times

Advertisements

How does one fail less than a quarter into a term??

We're leaving Iraq, actually planning in Afghanistan, close to healthcare reform with energy and education reform coming soon. The guy has a tough job that takes more then guts to complete. Bush attempted to fix NONE OF THE ABOVE and McCain didn't mention any of it either.

Congrats on a job well done Obama!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 11:01 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
Unemployment in the state where I live was lower than any of the surrounding states and lower than the national average until July of this year. The Unemployment rate in my state doubled from Sept 08 to Sept 09, having inched up in early 09 before exploding in summer 09. Unemployment in the state where my son lives was lower until August. Now my state has surpassed the national average and my son's state is approaching it. How can I not blame the polices of the WH when all of this occurred on Obama's watch? His policies have acted to spread the misery of the rust belt to the entire nation. I wish that I could see it any other way, but unfortunately I have always been known as a realist.
The failures of the Bush administration have been dumped into the lap of the Obama administration - those who never wanted to see him in the WH anyway were handed an easy excuse to "blame" Obama for Bush's failures.

There is nothing more to it than that statement.

When the economy bounces back next year, those who are criticizing Obama now will credit any turnaround to Bush's policies (or some other Republican). Nothing surprising about how the Obama "haters" think and opine. Very predictable, actually.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:17 PM

485 posts, read 1,454,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The failures of the Bush administration have been dumped into the lap of the Obama administration - those who never wanted to see him in the WH anyway were handed an easy excuse to "blame" Obama for Bush's failures.

There is nothing more to it than that statement.

When the economy bounces back next year, those who are criticizing Obama now will credit any turnaround to Bush's policies (or some other Republican). Nothing surprising about how the Obama "haters" think and opine. Very predictable, actually.
How do you explain that the economy in the states I referenced was doing well until Obama's economic fixes started to kick in? Now he has brought us down as well. Please also tell me where in my original post I indicated that I never wanted Obama in the WH. Actually I said in his early presidency that I hoped that he would succeed since there were obvious problems. However, I did not expect that he would make them worse. Now I just hope for a swift 3+ years so we can get someone in who can correct the problems that he has made worse.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:41 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
How do you explain that the economy in the states I referenced was doing well until Obama's economic fixes started to kick in?
Did the sun rise in those states?
Its the sun's fault!!!!

Did the moon appear in the sky in those states at any time during their economic struggles?
Its the moon's fault!!!

Did britney lip-synch a concert during those months?
Its britney's fault!!!!

You assume a relationship that doesn't exist - namely you somehow concluded that the stimulus providing jobs actually took jobs.
That's a huge pile of nonsense, putting it nicely.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Did the sun rise in those states?
Its the sun's fault!!!!

Did the moon appear in the sky in those states at any time during their economic struggles?
Its the moon's fault!!!

Did britney lip-synch a concert during those months?
Its britney's fault!!!!

You assume a relationship that doesn't exist - namely you somehow concluded that the stimulus providing jobs actually took jobs.
That's a huge pile of nonsense, putting it nicely.

Actually I can't speak for my state as a whole, but I do know in my area of the state there were a large number of jobs tied to Federal spending that were cut which led to increased unemployment. There actually is a direct correlation, so it isn't a "huge pile of nonsense". I know a number of people who are now out of work because of these cuts to Federal programs.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:09 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times

Old 11-10-2009, 02:20 PM

989 posts, read 2,497,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Did 0bama pull the troops out of Iraq? - No
Did 0bama ban all earmarks? - No
Did 0bama put every pork barrel project online? - No
Did 0bama close GITMO? - No
Did 0bama hold healthcare discussions on C-SPAN? - No
Did 0bama end the status quo of partisanship, bickering and divisiveness? - No
Did 0bama close the revolving door for lobbyists? - No
Did 0bama ban lobbyists from being a part of his administration? - No
Did 0bama ban lobbyists from working on regulations or contracts directly? - No
Did 0bama allow all bills to be viewed on-line five days before signing them? - No
Did 0bama eliminate capital gains taxes for the small businesses? - No
Did 0bama tax the windfall profits tax of oil companies? - No
Did 0bama repeal the Clinton-era Don’t Ask/Don’t Tell (DADT) policy? - No

0bama, the president of NO
In Obama's defense, I think a lot of presidents have grand plans then get into office and quickly learn how difficult implementing them is. Especially for someone as inexperienced as Obama.

Take as an example the GITMO debate. Shortly after being sworn in I am sure he was given top secret briefings from intelligence and the army that made it clear why GITMO hasn't been closed and why some of these controversial anti-terrorism programs are in place. We can only speculate being outside of the loop but these challenges may reveal themselves to be tremendously difficult in light of these top secret briefings.

In contrast however, what makes a great politician is the ability to get great things done regardless of the status quo. In this area Obama is failing miserably.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:23 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bates View Post
He let me and my parter down, we put him in office, he has dissed us and reminds of a taller Don Knotts, the change we need is not Obama but someone with some guts!
You never liked him, so why is this relevant?

This great man was handed a collosal mess of historic proportions by your fearless Republican leader, manure-shoveling Texan George Dubya.

President Obama is doing an excellent job and don't you forget it either.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
In Obama's defense, I think a lot of presidents have grand plans then get into office and quickly learn how difficult implementing them is. Especially for someone as inexperienced as Obama.

Take as an example the GITMO debate. Shortly after being sworn in I am sure he was given top secret briefings from intelligence and the army that made it clear why GITMO hasn't been closed and why some of these controversial anti-terrorism programs are in place. We can only speculate being outside of the loop but these challenges may reveal themselves to be tremendously difficult in light of these top secret briefings.

In contrast however, what makes a great politician is the ability to get great things done regardless of the status quo. In this area Obama is failing miserably.
I agree with you completely. Obama's inexperience has also come into play with the rising unemployment, much of which is due to people's reticence to spend. People do not have faith that Obama can turn the economy around and therefore they are holding on to every penny they have. Latest information that I heard was that even McDonald's revenues are down. When people are even afraid to go to McDonald's, you know that things are bad. We need a president with economic experience -- unfortunately neither of the candidates last November had that. I must admit that that was my major concern with Obama the candidate, but I had no idea how crucial it would be.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:34 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Take as an example the GITMO debate. Shortly after being sworn in I am sure he was given top secret briefings from intelligence and the army that made it clear why GITMO hasn't been closed and why some of these controversial anti-terrorism programs are in place.
Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates receive regular security briefings. The President-Elect receives the same daily security briefings as the President. Despite having to deal with the worst economic disaster of any incoming President since FDR, Obama has made dramatic process in both foreign and domestic policy. His record through not quite ten months would be remarkable under any circumstances, all the moreso under these...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies