Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 AM

757 posts, read 802,949 times

Advertisements

It is interesting the way Republicans try to diminish Obama's accomplishments. The man was a State Senator, a US Senator and now the 44th President of the US. Very few people will come close to those accomplishments. Obama is still a young man too. No telling what he will accomplish in his life time. If he accomplishes nothing else he will have exceeded most people. Certainly has exceeded the accomplishments of people who post in this forum who have nothing else to do all day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 07:57 AM

380 posts, read 642,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
It is interesting the way Republicans try to diminish Obama's accomplishments. The man was a State Senator, a US Senator and now the 44th President of the US.
The issue is that he did not accomplish anything of significance in any of these roles. He was elected on charisma and lofty speeches.

But in qualities that matter he is the most naive public figure with a major office I have ever encountered.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:59 AM

485 posts, read 1,455,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
These discussions just go in circles. If the unempolyment rate decreased drastically, the war was ended tomorrow and all the violence in the world ended, the naysayers and haters would still find some reason to hate Obama. No matter what evidence is presented, they just repeat the same things over and over like a broken record. They really don't want to see any improvement under Obama because the more things improve, the harder it is for them to back up their claim that he is a failure. I've said this many times but it is very clear that the wing-nuts would rather see an entire country fail than to see success under Obama. That is the extremist mentality that is out of control. The Glenn Beck cronies have lost touch with reality and will go to any extent just to be "right".
While what you say may be true for the small percentage of people on the right (and the left from the opposite extreme for that matter), the problem for the WH is the views of the vast majority of folks in the middle. This was borne out by the elections in NJ and VA where the moderates showed that they did not believe that present policies are working and are sending a clear signal. You can believe all you want that it is just the right-wing nuts but recent polls (I saw some this morning on MSNBC no less) show that the general attitude is that the WH economic fixes are not working.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:03 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
What part was that? Do you mean to refer to all those entirely fabricated stories of CRA and Frank and Dodd and S.190 and Bushie attempts to save us that right-wingers have had to resort to in desperately trying to deflect the blame for this mess off of those who actually propelled us into it?

I see that you don't follow current events at any depth. Probably the letters CFPA wouldn't mean anything to you as the result. I imagine you missed the passage of actual GSE reform in July 2008 as well. So that was 12 years of Republican control of Congress and no GSE reform at all, but 18 months of Democratic control, and...bingo! Of course, it was all overtaken by the sweep and scope of the emerging crisis that Republicans had managed to manufacture for us, so that effort pretty much just went to waste.

Hmmm. TARP was a Republican creation that all sensible people supported as the reasons for it became more and more abundantly clear. The screamers and whiners, not so much of course, but then "sensible" would have pretty much excluded that bunch anyway.

look at the TARP votes and look at the TARP sponsorship. when are liberals going to take responsibility for their own failures? it doesn't really matter because people have had it with these politicians trying to pass the buck and they are going to lose elections big-time!

btw, here is a timeline on GSE reform:
http://www.resistnet.com/profiles/blogs/setting-the-record-straight (broken link)

Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 AM

757 posts, read 802,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
The issue is that he did not accomplish anything of significance in any of these roles. He was elected on charisma and lofty speeches.

But in qualities that matter he is the most naive public figure with a major office I have ever encountered.
Winning a majority of votes in each of those races is not an accomplishment? lol be serious

Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
Most are missing the topic by a far margin!
Was he or wasn't he??? Most first graders can answer better
then most on here.
BO is clueless and an idiot!
Did we forget he a Muslim and has radical ties to terrorist.
Seriously - your grammar and articulation of ideas reveal you have not done the critical thinking necessary to have an informed opinion on the subjects of international politics.

Based on your assertions with absolutely no supporting evidence, you have simply been told what to think and never learned how to spell. So, it's tough to take your views seriously.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:12 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
There is a difference between stimulus money and general federal resources. I will agree with you that many red states generally get more federal resources than they contribute; however in the case of stimulus money I believe it was more directed to states which had high unemployment numbers and these were generally blue states (MI, CA, etc) until it started spreading across the country. I also did not mention NASA cuts to argue whether they were justified in the current economic climate, but to answer the poster who did not believe that there were cuts to Federal programs that were causing increased unemployment. Actually I do not believe that the NASA cuts have been announced yet just holding our breath at present. Most of the cuts we have seen thus far have been missile defense.
Well, North Dakota has the lowest unemployment in the country because it has very few jobs to lose. Most red states are predominantly rural (thus, why they are conservative). Most of the economic engines of the economy are in the heavily populated areas of the Midwest, Northeast, and West. They are, logically, going to be hit hardest because they have the most vested in the economy. Logically, it would make sense to target stimulus to those places.

Makes more sense than building roads in North Dakota.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:13 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's actually not when you make the obvious comparison to Reagan who endured a recession and 10%+ unemployment well over two years into his presidency.

If any of you who constantly attack Obama can honestly say you treated / would have treated Reagan with the same impatience at this point in his presidency with very similar economic statistics, you have my deep respect. But, I doubt any of you would be this hard on Reagan. You'd ask for time for his policies to work - which they ultimately did. Same will more than likely happen with Obama which, let's be honest, would be your worst nightmare.

Patience.
The Reagan election to the presidency is almost 30 years back and I don't remember Reagan harping continuously on how he "inherited this mess". Not saying he never did--just don't remember him doing it. It's getting mighty tiresome that one year into the Obama presidency, he is still referring to "the mess we inherited". It's obvious he has a problem with saying something as mature as, "This is my mess now". Saying nothing at all would be an improvement.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:14 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Judging from the source of that question, I doubt facts would matter.
Awww, how cute...was that supposed to be some sort of personal attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
But I'll try, was 0bama a US senator, did he vote with the democrat majority 99% of the time? Did 0bama and the democrats vote in favor of spending bills, bailouts, TARP and legislation that Bush signed? Yes.
[More blah, blah, blah]
All of which contributed to the creation of this mess how? A Democratic majority did not exist until 2007. This mess was the result of horrible fiscal, monetary, and socio-economic policy perpetrated by Republicans principally between 2002 and 2006. There would have been no bailouts for Republicans to demand if they had not screwed things up so badly to begin with, then failed to respond to the mess they had made in a timely manner.

Last edited by saganista; 11-11-2009 at 08:43 AM..

Old 11-11-2009, 08:15 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
You must keep in mind that the GOP, the anti-Obama crowd and those that make a living feeding off the fears of people, want and need the discussion of the issues to continue to go in circles. They feel that as long as it does that, success of the Obama admin will be stalled until such time as a Repub admin can get credit, next that despicable Muslim anti-christ will get put in his place and some will continue to make a bunch of money off the easily frightened. Those are the objectives, the only objectives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies