Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Allow Muslims in US Army?
Yes 117 58.79%
No 72 36.18%
Unsure 10 5.03%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:46 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times

Advertisements

I think the decision should be made by those in the Army. There are thousands of Muslim Soldiers and there are millions of non muslims who couldn't be bothered to serve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 04:43 AM

316 posts, read 1,036,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Wow. You're so enigmatic. Care to elaborate on that incredibly vague assessment?
that it was pretty direct but let me spell it out - the more important part...about going down in flames....

The actualy heart of this doesn't truely deal with Muslim or not even though many have decided to stay on that level. So let's rephrase the original query in it's parts as it would break down-

Should a person that has obvious issues be allowed to stay in our military? - Should the military improve it's vision to internal issues as well as not allow a conscientious objector to volunteer? -

Furthermore - Hasan was an admitted conscientious objector - at that exact point should or should he not have resigned?

Unfortunately the posted question was aggrevated, however the conversation is what leaked out those questions. Since there are, like anything else, good muslims and bad ones - example England's current issues, why Austrailia told then to settle down or get out, etc.

IMO with 23% of the world being Muslim, and having an issue that hundreds of thousands of my brethren have or are being replaced by this work force as well as I have the privledge of now interviewing them. I find that - like many - there are ones I like and ones I don't. Currently there are more on the don't side than do. Most of the reason is because of their "god's gift" attitude combine with 100% inept skills and delivery.

As for the factor about Muslims in our military - face it a large percentage of that miltary is subcontractors. Ever since the draft left very few have wanted to join therefore the once great power is now not so great. Even though all of that I still believe that when you find yourself a conscientious objector it is your responsibility to remove yourself since you can not sit on the fence and say "I'm in a desk job so it's ok" I don't buy that muck.

Our Military is a killing machine - those guns, bombs, etc are not there for decoration. They have an intent - to lame, injure, demolish, or kill something/someone somewhere. As a a conscientious objector if you do not remove yourself from "the machine" then any further act you perform is considered admittance to not being a conscientious objector. Therefore an act such as Hasam's - whether he's claiming crazy or not - is treason.

I'm getting pretty damn tired of the "OJ Formula" in the courts. Maybe when the gas this guy they shoudl stick some lawyers in the chamber with him LOL

Old 11-24-2009, 10:00 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
that it was pretty direct but let me spell it out - the more important part...about going down in flames....

The actualy heart of this doesn't truely deal with Muslim or not even though many have decided to stay on that level. So let's rephrase the original query in it's parts as it would break down-

Should a person that has obvious issues be allowed to stay in our military? - Should the military improve it's vision to internal issues as well as not allow a conscientious objector to volunteer? -

Furthermore - Hasan was an admitted conscientious objector - at that exact point should or should he not have resigned?

Unfortunately the posted question was aggrevated, however the conversation is what leaked out those questions. Since there are, like anything else, good muslims and bad ones - example England's current issues, why Austrailia told then to settle down or get out, etc.

IMO with 23% of the world being Muslim, and having an issue that hundreds of thousands of my brethren have or are being replaced by this work force as well as I have the privledge of now interviewing them. I find that - like many - there are ones I like and ones I don't. Currently there are more on the don't side than do. Most of the reason is because of their "god's gift" attitude combine with 100% inept skills and delivery.

As for the factor about Muslims in our military - face it a large percentage of that miltary is subcontractors. Ever since the draft left very few have wanted to join therefore the once great power is now not so great. Even though all of that I still believe that when you find yourself a conscientious objector it is your responsibility to remove yourself since you can not sit on the fence and say "I'm in a desk job so it's ok" I don't buy that muck.

Our Military is a killing machine - those guns, bombs, etc are not there for decoration. They have an intent - to lame, injure, demolish, or kill something/someone somewhere. As a a conscientious objector if you do not remove yourself from "the machine" then any further act you perform is considered admittance to not being a conscientious objector. Therefore an act such as Hasam's - whether he's claiming crazy or not - is treason.

I'm getting pretty damn tired of the "OJ Formula" in the courts. Maybe when the gas this guy they shoudl stick some lawyers in the chamber with him LOL
Apparently you're too busy reading between lines to take the time to read the actual lines. Or perhaps you just have me confused with someone else.

At what point did I indicate that Hasam was anything less than a scumbag? I responded to the original question of whether or not Muslims should be allowed in the military. The fact is that Hasam was A Muslim but not all Muslims any more than the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbor were the same ones who were interred during WWII.

We simply can't punish a whole religion for the action of one. As I said before, if we excluded everyone who was in some way related to someone else who did something, we'd have no military at all. I am a first generation American-born Irish. I can assure you that I have ancestors who were brigands, pirates, terrorists, you name it. That does not mean that I am any of those. Would you exclude me from the military? You'd be a little late. I somehow managed to make it through my enlistment without participating in any piracy, terrorism, brigandage, raping and pillaging, etc.

As an ex-military man, I am glad we no longer have a conscript army. The last person I want covering my butt is someone who was forced to be there. I wouldn't want to be standing next to one who happily volunteered for every hazardous duty either since they can be just as dangerous but that's another issue altogether. I do feel the military is recruiting without fully disclosing it's nature. They focus too much on glamorizing and fail to inform recruits of the harsh realities of deployment. Too many enlistees, and officers too, are only there for the benefits and in many cases are only there because they find the world too difficult to deal with. The military does offer an order and simplicity that makes life easier but may don't realize it comes with a price.

I agree that military intelligence dropped the ball. That guy gave all the warning signs and they were ignored but the answer is to fix the net that let that piece of trash slide through. It really doesn't matter what his religion was, he was a poor performer with personality disorders and had no business in the military to begin with. Banning Muslims wouldn't fix the net. The net is designed to catch nut-jobs of any religion and it failed miserably.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:58 AM

14 posts, read 18,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A great majority of the 2.5-million Muslims in the USA are citizens who were born in the USA. They cannot be deported and there would be no place to deport them to.

Please submit statistics that show that Muslims living in the USA have a higher rate of arrest for violent crimes than non-Muslims.
Again - Islam is NOT a peaceful religion!!! It's a matter of National security and COMMON SENSE!

Old 11-27-2009, 04:59 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
I can't believe people are voting no and unsure to this. Truly a shame.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:02 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Most religions prohibit their adherents' from being soldiers.

The Muslim religion, however, really digs killing.

Guess the U.S. armed forces should be made up exclusively of Muslins.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:50 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
By this logic, we should assume every white guy is a racist. But that would be stereotyping an entire group when obviously so few of them are racist, right? Right?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:10 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,606 times
36.46% saying "No"?????????
Are these the same people that enjoy the right to bear arms? Is this the same group that love our right to free speech?
Are we going to start cheery-picking the Bill of Rights over one cockroach?
I am sincerely depressed over these negative and close-minded responses.
And here I thought I was a "right wing nutjob", at that...
Islam is no more a violent religion than Christianity or Buddhism.
Is Oklahoma City closed to Christians because of Timithy McVeigh?

Try a little Google-search experiment: Patriotic Arab American

Home Page

- Over 3,500 Arab-Americans serve in the Armed Forces
- Over 5,300 Arab/Muslim Americans served in the Civil War
- Over 15,000 Arab Americans served in WWI
- Over 15,000 Arab Americans served in WWII
- Over 6,000 Muslims currently serve in the Armed Forces
- Over 7% of the Armed Forces are foreign-born
Rami H. Islam
Lieutenant Junior Grade, USN
Rami Islam serves as the Communication Officer onboard USS LABOON (DDG 58). Born in Pittsburgh, PA and raised in Virginia Beach, VA, Rami is an Old Dominion University graduate with a bachelor of science in criminal justice. He is the son of Hesham Islam, CDR United States Navy (Retired), and is carrying on a five generation family tradition of Naval Service.

LtJG Islam earned his Surface Warfare Officer designation during his initial sea duty tour on the USS LABOON (DDG 58) serving with the ship's Operation’s Department. Currently, LtJG Islam is serving as the Electrical Officer in the Engineering Department onboard the USS CARL VINSON (CVN 70).

On his initial sea tour he was deployed to the Arabian Gulf and the Atlantic Ocean in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and other multinational exercises and operations.

LtJG Islam’s personal awards include the Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal (first award) National Defense Medal (first award), Sea Service award (first award), Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal.

For this one and lonely nutcase, we have thousands of Muslim patriots protecting our right to sit here on this forum and bash their entire religion

Old 11-27-2009, 10:26 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,212 times
carolinawomen
FYI ALLAH MEANS GOD

Old 11-27-2009, 11:32 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Great post hortysir. I can't believe people can actually vote no on this poll. I wish these votes were viewable. That way, we can see the racist ones voting no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies