Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:25 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Who is one great Muslim living in this country?
http://hybridsnick.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/muhammad_ali_versus_sonny_liston1.jpg (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 03:31 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Nazis did not promote Christianity but used the churches to further their agenda, kind of like hussein obama. What the Nazis did went against everything Christians but bigots and the haters of religion will try their best to twist the truth at every opportunity.
I have not see President Hussein work along religious lines. He has been as secular about it, as the founders intended. Unlike likes of Reagan and the Bushes.

Having said that, if you're going to generalize and condemn a religion (Islam) and people from a particular race/ethnicity, then what prevents you from being consistent and using the same words for people from the race/ethnicity and religion that Nazis used for platform?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Who is one great Muslim living in this country?
Do Muslims who have died fighting for this country count?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:44 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
The only way Sikhs stand out is if they wear turbans -- that is their choice, just like wearing a Viking outfit might get you noticed more than if you dressed to fit in.
"The dastaar, as the Sikh turban is known, is an article of faith that has been made mandatory by the founders of Sikhism. It is not to be regarded as mere cultural paraphernalia."

It's required by their religious and cultural tradition for male Sikhs to wear a turban, it's not a choice, "like wearing a Viking outfit."

Yes, it stands out in most places in America. But to say that if they would just remove their turbans they'd fit in more is like telling Hassidic Jews to just shave their beards and take off their hats so they won't get so many stares..

Old 11-06-2009, 03:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Although, wearing a turban is not so much different than Christians wearing a cross/crucifix necklace. I can't imagine Christians would be ok with people looking at them funny for doing so or assuming negative things about them for wearing the cross.

You are right, freedom does work both ways.
I don't agree that today's immigrants are overly sensitive, though.
I think immigrants today are extremely sensitive. Look at immigrants of the past -- the Irish for example had to put up with stereotypes of drunken Irish, the Polish were the butt of many Polish jokes. Just about every immigrant group was stereotyped in some way or another, there were arguments over religions -- people of some beliefs were put down as "Papists".

Immigrants in the past also got looked at and laughed at, but they dealt with it by giving up that fresh-off-the-boat look, putting on American style clothes.

I suspect the turban is more an ethnic look than anything else, and if they want to fit in, they can fit in, if they want to dress like they just came over, then they have to accept they might get looked at. It's no different for Americans if we move to a country with a very different dress code. We can fit in or continue to dress like Americans and then be looked at.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
"The dastaar, as the Sikh turban is known, is an article of faith that has been made mandatory by the founders of Sikhism. It is not to be regarded as mere cultural paraphernalia."

It's required by their religious and cultural tradition for male Sikhs to wear a turban, it's not a choice, "like wearing a Viking outfit."

Yes, it stands out in most places in America. But to say that if they would just remove their turbans they'd fit in more is like telling Hassidic Jews to just shave their beards and take off their hats so they won't get so many stares..
Still that's a choice. In this country they will not be beaten and flogged if they decide not to wear the turban. They can modify their religion or stand out -- I never read that Amish complain - they keep their own style, people most likely look at them with curiosity but they accept it. I did know a Mennonite woman who didn't like standing out with the old fashioned clothes and hair net so she stopped wearing them. If the Sikhs are truly peaceful, they'll do te same her Mennonite group did about that -- nothing.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Still that's a choice. In this country they will not be beaten and flogged if they decide not to wear the turban. They can modify their religion or stand out...
You're right. Just like the Nazis, who spared Jews who were baptized to be Christians. The question now is: Would you do it, if put in that situation?

PS. There was a thread created yesterday about a woman who refused vaccination required by her hospital for religious reasons. Do you think she should choose either the religion or the job, given a choice? Or, does she deserve both?

Old 11-06-2009, 04:01 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,946,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
How many Sikhs are going to get terrorized now?
The Sikhs of Kashmir get harassed every day by muslim radicals. And in North Western Frontier Province of Pakistan, Sikhs are being forced to pay jizya.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:23 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
I think immigrants today are extremely sensitive. Look at immigrants of the past -- the Irish for example had to put up with stereotypes of drunken Irish, the Polish were the butt of many Polish jokes. Just about every immigrant group was stereotyped in some way or another, there were arguments over religions -- people of some beliefs were put down as "Papists".

Immigrants in the past also got looked at and laughed at, but they dealt with it by giving up that fresh-off-the-boat look, putting on American style clothes.

I suspect the turban is more an ethnic look than anything else, and if they want to fit in, they can fit in, if they want to dress like they just came over, then they have to accept they might get looked at. It's no different for Americans if we move to a country with a very different dress code. We can fit in or continue to dress like Americans and then be looked at.
No it is for religious reasons. It would be like telling a Christian not to wear a cross because it is for ethnic reasons.

The covering of hair with turban was made official by Guru Gobind Singh Ji, the tenth Guru of Sikhs. The main reason is to preserve the Sikh identity. Sikhs are only 2% of India’s population, if Sikhs do not wear turban, they would be lost in the crowd of Hindus and Muslims. No one will be able to identify a Sikh. Upon establishing turban as a Sikh identity Guru Gobind Singh Ji said, “My Sikh will be recognized among millions”.

In addition, the people from high class wear turban and were called sardars (leaders). This segregated people from high and low classes. So in order to eliminate the class system associated with turban, Guru Gobind Singh Ji made each and every Sikh a sardar. He also rejected class system by giving all Sikh the last name Singh and Kaur.

Furthermore, Sikhs do not cut their hair and the turban protects the hair from dust. Some people might ask the question that if Sikhs cover their hair on head, why don’t they cover their beard? The only reason one would cover his beard is to protect it from dirt. But dirt is not a big problem for beard. The beard can be cleaned very easily while washing the face.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You're right. Just like the Nazis, who spared Jews who were baptized to be Christians. The question now is: Would you do it, if put in that situation?

PS. There was a thread created yesterday about a woman who refused vaccination required by her hospital for religious reasons. Do you think she should choose either the religion or the job, given a choice? Or, does she deserve both?
I believe she should be allowed to refuse the vaccine for any reason at all. The government has become very Fascist, there is no evidence yet that the people who do not receive the flu vaccines die at a higher rate than those who do. I have never received a flu shot of any kind and I also have never called in sick to work in my life, I never missed school past 9th grade. I don't get sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies