Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 12:28 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Not to ambush an interesting topic, but for those who love books and libraries, you need to spend some time in the beautiful Library of Congress. I've always wanted to be able to just wander through their local and American history stacks. If you get the chance to visit the LOC, as we say here in Texas, you will be in hog heaven. Alas! I miss those days when that great library was accessible to me.
I plan on going on a library tour. For a little while I considered being a librarian. I've looked at a lot of pictures of some libraries and some of them are just GORGEOUS!

We have two great library systems where I live. One of them has a much better DVD selection than the one I work at (yes I work in a library).

In any case, I'll definitely have to check out the Library of Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 12:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
I was at the library just yesterday picking up an audio book and Sweetheart Deal by Claire Matturro.

I love the library, and books. I take books traveling, I read in bed, I carry one in my purse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
"But every time I go up to one and ask them a question they tell me things I already know."

I'm in New Jersey, maybe libraries are better elsewhere.
Ummmm, since no one else is having these experiences, perhaps it's you.
Maybe you're not asking questions clearly.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:33 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Holds cost nothing at both the library systems I use BUT if you don't pick up your books, it's $2.00 charge.
They give you about a week to pick them up and if you decide you don't want the book or can't make it, you can always cancel the hold FREE of charge.

That still seems odd and not user friendly, but I guess each library syetem can set it's own policy. At my library, you get an email or phone call when when your item arrives and then you have a set number of days (I think it's two weeks) to pick it up. After that time the book is returned to the branch it came from. No money is involved.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:36 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That still seems odd and not user friendly, but I guess each library syetem can set it's own policy. At my library, you get an email or phone call when when your item arrives and then you have a set number of days (I think it's two weeks) to pick it up. After that time the book is returned to the branch it came from. No money is involved.
Yeah, they either call you, send you an email, or they send you something in the mail.
It works for me.

You have the opportunity to cancel the hold if you can't pick it up. It seems fair to charge people if they don't pick it up considering the cost involved (gas) in moving these books from library to library.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:56 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Yeah, they either call you, send you an email, or they send you something in the mail.
It works for me.

You have the opportunity to cancel the hold if you can't pick it up. It seems fair to charge people if they don't pick it up considering the cost involved (gas) in moving these books from library to library.

Yeah, that's fair, but you said something about a per day charge. If your book shows up today, but you don't pick it up until Monday do you get charged?

Old 11-06-2009, 01:10 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,245,521 times
LOL, you guys just read what you want. I dont have a problem with libraries closing. I displayed that dialogue to show the Librarian repeating herself three times. HA!

And besides, I asked a simple question that shouldnt require some head librarian or whatever. It was something she should be able to ask on the spot, regardless of what time it was.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:56 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,107,710 times
I use to have a sign on my office door that said; "The failure to plan on your part does not constitute a crisis on my part." Seems to me she was just trying to make you understand that tomorrow would be the time you would need to return....like when the librarty is open.....to do your research.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:58 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Looks like he wasn't trying to do research; more like he was trying to get someone to give him the answer.

That way, he can be the victim.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Interesting. Whenever I've asked a librarian a question, I've been impressed with the lengths to which they've gone to help me.

My understanding is that literacy rates went way up among lower-income children when libraries were first established. They're really not that expensive to maintain and operate - especially compared to, say, going to war and bailing out Wall Street.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:30 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I tried to do that last year, but there was a long line to get in and I didn't think I had enough time to wait. Unfortunately, it wasn't like the Smithsonian, where you can just stroll right in off the street and start looking around. Next time I go to DC I intend to set aside several hours for my visit to the LOC.
Wow! I guess it has really changed. I used to park on the street behind the Library and just walk in on Saturdays. Even the beautiful main reading room was always nearly empty in the evenings. I was there nearly every weekend form 1990 to 1995.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies