Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 06:56 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Beautiful post. Your statements very well illustrate how out of touch many conservatives are with those who are poor and don't have the advantages that they do. Sadly, even if you point this out to them, many of them will say, "Well, too bad. Go get a better job, loser."
I know this is not the topic of this thread so I want to be careful not to go too far afield, but my problem as a conservative who grew up poor is that I often see too much encouragement for victimhood coming from the left. That doesn't help poor people either and I feel i can speak on this from personal experience. But when my friends did this, it did open my eyes to how coldhearted some conservatives appear to liberals. Obviously there needs to be a balance between compassion for the poor and an expectation of personal responsibility. If liberals and conservatives could blend their philosophies a little bit and meet in the middle, that would be ideal. I did tell my friends that they were perpetuating a stereotype of the "out of touch, well-to-do conservative." That didn't sit well . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I know this is not the topic of this thread so I want to be careful not to go too far afield, but my problem as a conservative who grew up poor is that I often see too much encouragement for victimhood coming from the left. That doesn't help poor people either and I feel i can speak on this from personal experience. But when my friends did this, it did open my eyes to how coldhearted some conservatives appear to liberals. Obviously there needs to be a balance between compassion for the poor and an expectation of personal responsibility.
It appears coldhearted to independents as well.

Quote:
If liberals and conservatives could blend their philosophies a little bit and meet in the middle, that would be ideal. I did tell my friends that they were perpetuating a stereotype of the "out of touch, well-to-do conservative." That didn't sit well . . .
Agreed. When I hear either side of the political spectrum saying that they are either not far enough left or far enough right the first thing I do is...

Old 11-06-2009, 07:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
I know this is not the topic of this thread so I want to be careful not to go too far afield, but my problem as a conservative who grew up poor is that I often see too much encouragement for victimhood coming from the left. That doesn't help poor people either and I feel i can speak on this from personal experience. But when my friends did this, it did open my eyes to how coldhearted some conservatives appear to liberals. Obviously there needs to be a balance between compassion for the poor and an expectation of personal responsibility. If liberals and conservatives could blend their philosophies a little bit and meet in the middle, that would be ideal. I did tell my friends that they were perpetuating a stereotype of the "out of touch, well-to-do conservative." That didn't sit well . . .
I wonder sometimes if there are any conservatives left who believe that the government can do anything worthwhile. It wasn't that long ago that the term "good government conservative" wouldn't have been an oxymoron; today, I'm not so sure. The mentality now seems to be: All government is bad. It's a very cynical attitude, and I think it breeds a great distrust and lack of respect for our fellow citizens.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,917 times
I can accept whatever station a person is at in life so long as he is interested in moving toward self-improvement. Libraries are emblematic of that personal struggle for self improvement. I can't think of anything more important to a society that claims to offer every citizen an opportunity to pursue their dreams. And librarians are the stewards of libraries; as such, they should be respected and appreciated!

Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,947 times
Quote:
I wonder sometimes if there are any conservatives left who believe that the government can do anything worthwhile. It wasn't that long ago that the term "good government conservative" wouldn't have been an oxymoron; today, I'm not so sure. The mentality now seems to be: All government is bad.
Under Bush, my conservative friends actually thought he wasn't going far enough. Eventually, I spent more time around my liberal friends under that administration.

I'm really glad to see other moderates on these forums. Listening to discussion digress into name calling as administrations moved through Reagan, Clinton, the Bushes, and Obama, and Congress did its little dance of favors and contempt, it really starts to feel like we're going extinct. I'm just thankful each time I'm reminded that many of my fellow American citizens aren't thinking at all like the crapshoot bloviating I see on TV.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I can accept whatever station a person is at in life so long as he is interested in moving toward self-improvement. Libraries are emblematic of that personal struggle for self improvement. I can't think of anything more important to a society that claims to offer every citizen an opportunity to pursue their dreams. And librarians are the stewards of libraries; as such, they should be respected and appreciated!
Very true. If Fresh is going silent all of a sudden out of embarrassment, more power to him/her. We all say and do dumb things, but the difference is those who can realize it and take a step toward changing attitudes and actions that make us fall short, not just as individuals, but as a society.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
I wonder sometimes if there are any conservatives left who believe that the government can do anything worthwhile. It wasn't that long ago that the term "good government conservative" wouldn't have been an oxymoron; today, I'm not so sure. The mentality now seems to be: All government is bad. It's a very cynical attitude, and I think it breeds a great distrust and lack of respect for our fellow citizens.
Yep.

For the most part a lot of people have made me see Conservatives as cold hearted people who could care less about their fellow citizens.

I know not ALL of them are like that but these tea parties and "Buy your own health care! GET A JOB!!" makes them all look like a bunch of cold-hearted....well....that's all I'll say.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:42 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,439 times
No waaay!!!...nothing like going to the library with your kids. The internet will never replace that. Its a parent thing, you won't understand unless you have kids.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
No waaay!!!...nothing like going to the library with your kids. The internet will never replace that. Its a parent thing, you won't understand unless you have kids.
It's a surrogate parent or community parent thing, too. Few things match the enthrall of watching lights come on in a mind that's known nothing but the drama/trauma of negligent/abusive jerks who were supposed to be known as mom and dad.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:51 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,474 times
How is this politics related?

I think not all librarians have that masters in the field. Those that have that degree usually do not work with the public, and work in archival catagorizing type stuff for larger companies or the government. You never see them.

The person average joe talks to when they go to the library probably has a random Bachelors, or is working part time, and at best has some degree in Teaching or Education.

They may be annoying, but they are necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies